Survey: Who Here Believe In God/The Bible? Who Are Not Sure? Who Do Not Believe?

by minimus 99 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Huh?

That's a very incisive question xanthippe. I will have to give it some serious thought.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Excellent and while you're at it perhaps you could explain what on earth you were talking about in the quotation I highlighted.

• cofty
    cofty

perhaps you could explain what on earth you were talking about

Certainly. Believers make so many disclaimers about god that he effectively vanishes up his own transcendence.

They preach a god who heals but not in a way that anybody could ever confirm - he never heals an amputee, and when somebody isn't healed there is always some silly exclusion clause.

He is omnipotent but there is some mysterious reason why he can't/won't use his power in any tangible way.

He is omnipresent but he can't be seen, heard or felt.

He answers prayers but sometimes the answer is "no" or not yet". This is imposisble to distinguish from no answer.

Theology is like the fine print in a fraudulent contract.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Believers make so many disclaimers about god that he effectively vanishes up his own transcendence-cofty

I disagree, I have made none of those claims above. I have made many points as to why my personal belief is strong. Name a claim I have made if you will that vanishes up God's own transcendance.

I like that term, made me smile xx Kate xx

• rockingmomof2
    rockingmomof2

I used to have an abundance of Faith in God and Jesus and I never believed in the Trinity. After studying with the JW's I'm so confused. They opened up the bible to me. Now I just want to read it and gain my own interpretation.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I agree with all of that. Theology is like the fine print in a fraudulent contract. I think religion is anachronistic. I know you think religion is toxic. I am unsure. Having read Hitchins, I am still unsure. You think people need facts. Not being a mental health professional I just don't know what people need. I'm being perfectly honest here, are you so sure that everyone can handle hard reality?

• cofty
    cofty

I am sure some people can't handle reality. We see it on the forum all the time where no amount of evidence will separate a believer from cherished beliefs.

All you can do is provide access to evidence and reason. People will embrace it if and when they are ready.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Intent is important though isn't it? When I was a JW I found I could say pretty much anything to people in FS as long as they perceived that my intent was concern for them.

• cofty
    cofty

Yes but as a JW we had nothing of substance to offer.

I think my genuine concern for people is obvious to anybody who tries to see behind the surface.

• simon17
    simon17

JW Truth: No

Bible: No

Personal God: No

Creative "god": Maybe?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit