Question for believers: on which Heavenly "Day" did God create humans?

by adamah 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caroline77
    caroline77

Hi Adamah. In response to your last answer to me, (sorry I can't quote you as I have not yet worked out how to do it and would appreciate advice on this) the Jews were careful not to do any work on the Sabbath, but activities would still go on. Livestock and children would have to be looked after. I'm sure that they would have rounded up stray cattle eating their neighbours crops, etc. Women in labour would have had to be attended. They would not have appreciated being told to hang on for 24 hours until the next working day...& so on.

Attitude seems to be more important than blindly following orders.

• caroline77
    caroline77

It does not say how long it was before Eve took the fruit, so it is not possible to say if it happened on the first Sabbath, or later on. It could have been hours, weeks, or years. Why is it important?

• Bart Belteshassur
    Bart Belteshassur

Hi Adamah, after your post at the top of page 2 Tammy does make a good point as she says that you were requesting answers which had to fall in line with your assumptions. In relation to the age of Adam when he die age 930 your argument assumes that the use of the die in relation to the eating of the fruit was a physical death. The Hebrew verb used here can mean a number of things, but always in conection with loss and ruin, which in some instances means loss of physical life but also loss of spirtual life, and as the context of the whole narrative is dependant on the actions of the spirit (breath) of god it is fair to define die in this case as the loss of spiritual life not physical. Therefore Adam did die on the day that he ate the friutin a spiritual sense by being cut off from God and removed from Eden, and physically died 930 years later. This is also made clear by the actions of God in producing coverings for him as this was a necessity of spiritual release for the Jews but I'll have to check up on that.

To correct myself in my previous post the 2nd narrative starts at Gen 2:4B "In the day that YHWH made the earth and skies, 5 when all the produce of the field had not yet been in the eath,". This appears to take us back to a point in the creation story before the creation of Adam/Man does it not?

I'm looking into the day for a thousand years in regard to its application to the creation.

Mark

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said- Lol... you can win the great metaphor/simili debate.

Well, if a believer is going to resort to the defense of, "that's not literal now, but it's been agreed that it's merely silly if read as a figure of speech", then it seems like the very least they could do would is actually learn the differences between the various figures of speech, to avoid insulting everyone's intelligence with more evidence of what they don't know and their utter disregard for facts.

TEC said- The point remains the same though. You just refuse to see it.

Oh, you made your point perfectly clear: you have no idea, and even your voice cannot bail you out, since you didn't try to resolve the obvious contradictions that are as plain as the nose on one's face, but rather simply dismissed them with an, "oh, that's mataphorical" meaningless excuse. Saying God's time frame is different than humans is a "no-spit, Sparlock" answer, since no kidding: the Psalmist USED a simile (which he followed with ANOTHER simile, which offered another comparison on a different time-frame, where BOTH contradicted the claims of God's eternal existence).

I'm pointing to yet another obvious flaw resulting from the "too many redactors spoil the broth" syndrome, a recurring problem seen throughout the Bible, from cover-to-cover, where the Bible offers a multi-choice selection, or a palette of answers, which anyone who's not brain dead or with blinders stapled to their face can recognize the existence of, and acknowledge. The Bible screws up whenever it gets into specifics, like time, from Genesis to Jesus (with his "last generation" thing, or JWs trying to use the Bible as source of 'Armageddon coming in 1975' claim, or occurring before the end of the 20th century, etc).

God help the reader who tries to get a simple answer to a question from Genesis 1 (when did God's day of Sabbath occur, in relation to Adam's fall? Most Xians obviously want to discard a literal 24-hour creation 'day', in order to avoid the embarassment of having to admit to believing the Young Earth Creationist's timeline, despite the fact that it was the reading accepted for a millenia and a half, until findings from physical sciences (geology, palentology) left Xians embarrassed to still believe it).

I haven't gotten into the obvious contradictions existing between the two creation accounts (which likely reflects a desire to keep BOTH accounts alive when compiling the Torah in composite form, due to respecting their different source traditions contained in source scrolls from the South and North, with but likely kept for their artistic (poetic) value, despite harmonization problems which are obvious to anyone who's not blinded by their emotional attachment to a God belief).

Hence there remains many inexplicable continuity errors in Genesis, eg why does the poetic account say animals were created on Day Five and humans on Day Six, but the second account indicate the EXACT OPPOSITE, where a human was created first, and THEN the animals were made)? Which came first: a human or an animal?

Those 'kinds' of discrepancy explains why scientists cannot take the Bible seriously as a source of knowledge from the "Intelligent Designer", and have discarded the Bible as a source of interest to any but mythologists: it FUBARs basic elements of the time-line on the first page, alone.

And just think: some Xians STILL are pushing for "creation science" to be given equal time to evolution in schools, trying to create a false equivalency by parroting the intellectually-dishonest meme of the wild dullard, "But evolution is JUST a theory, and our children should get to examine BOTH SIDES of the issue."

Adam

• adamah
    adamah

Caroline said-

Attitude seems to be more important than blindly following orders.

Yeah, tell that to the Israelite who was put to death as the first-recorded violator of the Sabbath in Exodus, after committing the horrendous act of playing pick-up sticks on the Sabbath, LOL!

Numbers 15:32-36

"32 Now while the sons of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering wood on the sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering wood brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation; 34 and they put him in custody because it had not been declared what should be done to him. 35 Then the Lord said to Moses, "The man shall surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp." 36 So all the congregation brought him outside the camp, and stoned him to death with stones, just as the Lord had commanded Moses."

I'll leave it to you to look at the various apolegetics that excuse why (and "might makes right" comes to mind, the same reason JWs can be rail-roaded in a JC by elders who are out to make an example out of them, and the person is quite helpless to do anything about it even if they KNOW they're innocent of the charges).

Heck, it's your belief system, not mine, so the onus is on you to look into the ugliness and brutality found in Old Testament, but here's a start....

Adam

• jhine
    jhine

Hello Adam , this has to be quick so here goes on some digging I did into Jewish thought on the subject

" Rather they ( Rabbis ) regarded the seven creation days as literal days and as corresponding to , not equal to , thousand year periods of earth history "

" The Hebrew phrase in English is more literally

"Tree Knowledge good evil eat day eat die (dying ) die "

The Hebrew is literally die, die (muwth - muwth ) with two different verb tenses (dying and die ) which can be translated as surely die or dying you shall die . This indicates the beginning of dying , an ingressive sense , which finally culminates with death . AT this point Adam and Eve began to die and return to dust

I will be back on the site on Monday to read the rest of the posts

Jan .

• adamah
    adamah

Hi Bart,

Hi Adamah, after your post at the top of page 2 Tammy does make a good point as she says that you were requesting answers which had to fall in line with your assumptions. In relation to the age of Adam when he die age 930 your argument assumes that the use of the die in relation to the eating of the fruit was a physical death. The Hebrew verb used here can mean a number of things, but always in conection with loss and ruin, which in some instances means loss of physical life but also loss of spirtual life, and as the context of the whole narrative is dependant on the actions of the spirit (breath) of god it is fair to define die in this case as the loss of spiritual life not physical. Therefore Adam did die on the day that he ate the friutin a spiritual sense by being cut off from God and removed from Eden, and physically died 930 years later. This is also made clear by the actions of God in producing coverings for him as this was a necessity of spiritual release for the Jews but I'll have to check up on that.

Thanks for contributing.

I'm familiar with the Xian (although not Jewish) apolegetic that Adam experienced only a 'spiritual death', not a 'physical death': JWs have relied on that one to explain the delay in Adam's death.

That strikes me as a bit of a stretch, likely resulting from Xian eisegesis by reading anachronistic elements into the account which weren't in existence at the time the Yahwist wrote/redacted the earlier oral tradition(s). It just wasn't needed for Jewish theology, since they didn't see any conflict, in the first place.

The Xian concept of 'spiritual death' seems somewhat loosely-based on Hebraic beliefs reflected throughout the Torah, where mortals were said to be 'in God's presence', or to 'walk with God', etc, but sometimes were driven away as a result of some offense (eg Adam ate the fruit and was driven out from the Garden where God maintained a presence, or Cain was driven away from God's presence after killing Abel; or Lot was hidden from the face of God when living in a cave, etc).

However, the 'Adam experienced a spiritual death' explanation is inconsistent with the later Xian concept of being saved at any time in a believer's life, if only they accept Jesus as their personal savior. If it were the case that redemption was provided ONLY in the form of Jesus' blood, than ANY human (including righteous Enoch, Noah, who is said to have walked with God, Abraham, Moses, etc) would be spiritually-dead until AFTER Jesus' redemption. The OT clearly doesn't indicate that, since as I said, even Cain was driven from God's presence, which meant he was IN God's presence, at some point, and hence spiritually-alive WITHOUT Jesus' redemption. Another inconsistency in the plot shift from OT to NT theology.

Instead, I suspect the actual answer lies in looking at the Hebrew language roots of the words themselves, as the phrase ("in the day") is an idiomatic phrase in use at the time of writing, and also appears in later writings of the Takakh, as the word 'days' has various meanings in Hebrew which are nebulous and ill-defined.

As stated here:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/apcontent.aspx?category=6&article=797

For Genesis 2:17 to represent a legitimate contradiction, one first would have to assume that the phrase “in the day…you shall surely die” must refer to an immediate death occurring on the very day a certain transgression has taken place. The available evidence shows, however, that the Hebrew idiom bªyôm (“in the day”) means the certainty of death, and not the immediacy of it.

However, the author of that article forgets to mention that the Bible also uses the same word ( bə·yō·wm ) eg to refer to 24-hour FIXED period Sabbath days. The Hebrew word is thus used in many different ways, since it allows flexibility or plasticity in meaning (AKA moving goalposts), depending on context (and hence why some translations simply drop the problematic reference to 'in the day' altogether in Genesis 2).

Here's the various uses of 'day' in Hebrew:

http://biblesuite.com/hebrew/beyom_3117.htm

That example highlights the problems of modern-day readers unconsciously inserting THEIR modern world views (eg the modern concept of a 24-hour day) onto the Yahwist, largely out of their own ignorance and unfamilarity with ancient beliefs, since it's incredibly difficult to avoid doing so without studying ancient cultures and Hebraic beliefs, or becoming an Bible scholar who spends YEARS studying ancient Hebrew, Greek, etc, and the likely history of beliefs.

And even if you did all of that, there's no way to ensure that you're STILL not projecting your concepts anachronistically (at least, until we invent a time machine that violates Einstein's physics by allowing us to travel BACKWARDS in time, not forwards).

Bottom line is, the more you know, the more you can see the 'guesswork' involved in relying on the Hebrew Takakh as a reliable source of information, based on nothing but 'faith'.

Adam

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Adam , it seems that maybe our posts crossed as I had had a similar thought to look at the original Hebrew , only I looked at the death and thousand years bit . Yes, Jews do seem to regard the creation days as literal days . While researcing it did become clear that the word used means a turn of the earth ie one day . I have not quoted that at all well but I think that you should get the idea .

Looking at the Hebrew it seems that the writer was getting at the idea that on that day Adam (and Eve ) would start to die and return to dust . So no need to try to explain this with the one day is a thousand years idea and indeed that does not seem to be the Jewish interpretation of this , as I said above the Rabbis say that one day corresponds to a thousand years of earth history .

With the interlinear Hebrew available online it is easy to check these things and find Jewish commentary on these passages as well , which often throws light on what seem to be contradictions .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit