Question for believers: on which Heavenly "Day" did God create humans?

by adamah 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Adam and Eve were in the spiritual also, that I learned from my Lord - Tammy

So everybody else can shut up and listen to me since I get the answers straight from the almighty.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"Now no shrub had yet appeared on the earth a and no plant had yet sprung up" That means that they have not grown from the rain. There was a spring that watered everything. It did not say that plants had not existed or were not created by then, but the condition pre flood.

Genesis 2 is an overview of Gen 1. Gen 2:7 is the same time as 1:26.

• KateWild
    KateWild

There is more than one sect of Judaism though, right? - Tammy

Probably about 20,000 a bit like Christianity 37,000 Kate xx

• tec
    tec

Or, Cofty, you could have just ignored that and moved on to all the other stuff written, or even spoken as to the topic at hand.

(I simply will not take credit for something myself, that came from my Lord. I will not claim the knowledge that I learned from Him... as my own. Simple as that. Has nothing to do with winning arguments or telling others to be silent... nothing AT ALL. That is just what YOU and others LIKE you see. But you and anyone else who has a problem with that are free to simply deal with the CONTENT. I mean, that is what I do when someone claims they learned something from whatever source. What do you care if I state who my source is? Argue the content if you think there is something wrong with it.)

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

Probably about 20,000 a bit like Christianity 37,000 Kate xx

I don't think there are that many different sects in Judaism. But definitely some, and also various schools of thought.

But yeah, there are certainly that many different sects in Christianity!

Peace,

tammy

• KateWild
    KateWild

Tammy, I checked out the sites. Evidently this Olam Haba, is a sect of Judaism. It's quite contraversial from what I can see. This doctrine of Olam Haba, is not taught in synagogues or Jewish schools, in Isreal, Australia, US, or UK from my experience.

Looks a lot like the Mormons and JWs to me. Be careful Tammy. Most common Jewish doctrine is the Messiah will raise the dead when he comes. Nothing about afterlife (Olam Haba)

Kate xx

• tec
    tec

I'm not worried about what Judaism teaches, Kate... contraversial sect or not. (Christ was born under the law and lived the truth, but you would not be able to call him mainstream (mainstream really is just another way of saying most commonly accepted) ) I didn't learn it from Judaism... I just looked 'Gan Eden' up some time ago up after Designs mentioned 'Gan Eden' a few times. Thank you for being concerned though : )

Peace to you!

tammy

• Comatose
    Comatose

Here is an on topic observation. I find it odd that JWs have this belief that a day is a year, or a thoudand human years is one year for god. I know my parents are very strong lifelong JWs and bible literalists, they believe that the days spoken of here are symbolic time periods and not a real day or a real thousand years. I do not believe very many or hardly any at all JWs believe that animals are only 10 or 11k years old. They know them to be older. (This must be in the publications and easy to find)

They would also likely admit that the "flaming swords" at the entrance to the garden were not swords, but that Moses interpreted it that way or that Moses wrote it in a way people in his time could understand.

BUT, as soon as you get to the part about only one man being created and loving alone on the earth, and a talking snake, and the flood, that is ALL literal.

So strange.

Now for a born again exJW who now thinks the days are real or are 1,000 year periods the paradox doesn't exist as much. But, for a JW the mental gymnastics of jumping from symbolic to literal or metaphor to literal is astounding.

• bohm
    bohm

obviously it was on day (6+8)/2=7.

ignorant atheists...

• adamah
    adamah

My point in asking was to highlight how Genesis 1 transitions from a chronologically-driven account (with well-defined creative 'days'), but then it suddenly time-shifts abruptly at Genesis 2:3. As Sir82 pointed out, Genesis 2 doesn't specify which creative acts occur on separate days: it's as if time becomes a moot issue.

So why the jarring transition, and the shift to recapitulation where details of timing become quite nebulous? Why wouldn't the single author (supposedly the account was told to a single author, Moses, per Christianity, having been inspired by Jehovah) be able to compose and dictate the creation account as a cohesive whole, laid out in linear manner?

The reason is simple: most readers of Genesis don't read ancient Hebrew (!), and are oblivious that Chapter One is actually written as Hebrew poetry (composed by what Bible scholars label as the 'Priestly source', for many reasons, but notice the theological focus concludes on an important ritual detail pertinent to the Priesthood, flowing towards the conclusion of the poem when God observed the Sabbath on the 7th day; the command for humans to keep the Sabbath is later reinforced in Exodus, and even appears as one of the 10 Commandments). However, the consensus of Bible scholars is that Chapter Two (actually 2:3 to 3:21) is written as prose by another individual, relying on literary devices such as word play, puns, etc. Bible scholars refer to this writer as 'the Yahwist' source (this is not news to anyone who's studied the Bible: this has been the opinion of OT scholars for a century and a half: here's a good reference).

Genesis thus actually contains two parallel creation accounts (which are contradictory on some of the details, BTW), just like there's two Flood accounts but due to being narrative, actually have been more intertwined (with the poetic elements, while not as lengthy, are still obvious, as they're off-set from the narrative).

In the Flood account, the Yahwist is focusing on different theological issues than the Priestly writer, where one was focusing on Noah fulfilling the prophecy made by Noah's father when he gave him his name (Noah, which means 'the one who obtains relief', referring to Noah securing God's promise to never again curse the ground on account of men), whereas the Priestly source was more concerned with details of Noah's handling of animal blood in a ritually-prescribed manner, and being delegated to seek retaliation for manslaughter (foreshadowing later Levitical laws, details more relevant to the Priestly source).

But back to the 'God celebrated the Sabbath on the 7th day' issue, inserted in Genesis 2:3! Here's my questions for Bible believers:

Since everyone agrees that the six creative days occurred in Genesis 1 (and Genesis 2 being only a recapitulation, with other details added), then when did God actually take those 1,000 years of rest?

Was it BEFORE the Fall of Adam? Wouldn't the Earth go to Hell in a handbasket, without God or the angels being allowed to do any work?

And where are we exactly in God's "Week, anyway? After 6,000 yrs of human existence (i.e. 6 God days), shouldn't we be coming up on God's Sabbath day, again?

And wouldn't God's Sabbath day in Heaven make the shutdown of the Fed Gov't look like child's play, in comparison?

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit