Do not talk about GAWD in Cracker Barrel on Sunday

by confusedandalone 27 Replies latest social humour

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

So this morning the wife and I went to Cracker Barrel for breakfast. my lovely sister watched the kids for us last night so we have to pick them up later.
    Anyway a few minutes later the family sits at a table next to us. Their food comes and they begin to pray.THey all join hands and he begins praying out loud.. very loud.
    So out of respect my wife and I stop talking... they eat and we eat no biggie. ABout 15 minutes into the meal the guy leans over he says, "I see you are a god fearing man!" (This is Florida mind you so add on some nice country accent).

I promptly tried to dispatch this conversation with a small chuckle and proceeded eating. He takes a small bible out his pocket and says he wants to share a scripture with me if I do not mind. I said, "I do mind. No Thanks". He proceeded to say, "The SPIRIT TOLD ME I WOULD RUN INTO YOU TODAY"
    At this point I realized it was going to either end very quickly or very badly. It is Sunday morning, there are people going to church. He probably has alot zeal. So once again I said, "I am not really into this right now." He says, "Look at all this food GAHD has provided for us this morning... don't you want to give thanks?"
    I stayed silent for about 3 seconds and then I told him I use to attend church heavily for 35 years. I am done with the bible and GOD... he interrupts and says what church did I go to. I told him I use to be a JW. He said he felt bad for me and that the reason that I was not close to GAWD was because I was with a demon-inspired group.(Yes he actually said this)
    He offered to pray over me and draw me to the spirit. By this time a few people around were just looking and listening. So I said, "I appreciate the offer but I just am not into the angry and violent bible god." This dude instantly turned into a rabid animal. He said I was speaking of things I did not understand blah blah blah. God is loving and its the DEBIL dat is a LIE!!

I went to my favorite passage Deuteronomy 21:18-21 and asked this whackadoodle so is this the devil telling the israelites to kill their children? Would you like to hit either of your two kids with rocks until they died in front of you? How about all those Canaanites he told the Israelites to kill??? was that the devil? No that was god. God likes to kill people. He says that is from the old testament and that GAWD is not like that today. I said , "ok but It is there in your own bible bro."
    He did not like me calling him "bro". He now tells me I am from my father and starts mumbling things. I go back to eating. My wife is laughing. I then realize people for some reason are looking at me like I did something wrong.

So I am wondering is it just wrong to call people out on what they believe even if they try to make you look like a fool first? Is it just wrong not to believe that the bible is wrong?

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Nope not wrong. You didn't start that, and tried to stop it before it got to that point.

• cofty
    cofty

Well done. Personally I think you were more than accomodating by being quiet while he talked to his invisible friend.

I can't imagine that happening in the UK.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"Y ou didn't start that, and tried to stop it before it got to that point." - His wife was looking at him like she really wanted to convvert me too. I guess since the spirit TOLD him I was gonna be there he should also have been told it was a waste of time

" I can't imagine that happening in the UK."

Coft, Florida is literally one of the most backwards states in the US. It has great weather and alot of nice people, but when it comes to religion it is EVERYWHERE and people will slit your throat over their beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

You were right, and polite. Far more polite than I would have been.

I would have said something along the lines of:

"Look feller, its O.K to have a religion, just like its O.K to have a Penis, it is NOT O.K to shove either down other people's throats".

As for other people's thoughts as they observed/heard this, you may be surprised, many may well have respected your words and example.

They damn well should have, anyway.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"Look feller, its O.K to have a religion, just like its O.K to have a Penis, it is NOT O.K to shove either down other people's throats".

this is epic lol

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

You better apologize to that nice man right now!

• James Jackson
    James Jackson

Tell me you didn't say the "Penis" thing to this guy!

If you did, you got a chuckle out of me and the point brought home.

Solid "A" for today's performance. I hope you were able to finish your meal!

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

"He says, "Look at all this food GAHD has provided for us this morning... don't you want to give thanks?""

Was he saying that GAWD was going to be paying the check? Or was he saying that GAWD was slinging hash in the kitchen of a Crapper Barrel.

When it comes to religious zealots, it's not that their world revolves around GAWD, it's that everything revolves around them. "He proceeded to say, "The SPIRIT TOLD ME I WOULD RUN INTO YOU TODAY"" So if the spirit has nothing better to do than tell him that he'd run into you, that's a pretty pathetic "spirit" that would ignore the suffering and needs of thousands of people in the Phillipines to prioritize some guy in Florida.

• confusedandalone
    confusedandalone

"Tell me you didn't say the "Penis" thing to this guy!" - I wish I would have thought of that on the spot.

I finished eating for sure... it was good convo after as well

"So if the spirit has nothing better to do than tell him that he'd run into you, that's a pretty pathetic "spirit" that would ignore the suffering and needs of thousands of people in the Phillipines to prioritize some guy in Florida."

Yeah the spirit has time to whisper in their ears about alot of foolishness but won't tell them when his homie Jesus is coming so they stop looking like rubes standing around with their bags packed

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit