Baptism is a risk says JW.org - New YouTube video

by RayPublisher 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

I've been working on this one for a few weeks and it is FINALLY done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INMzHysXa-o

Here's the description from the YouTube video:

--------------------------

Baptism is a risk! That's what the Watchtower of June 15, 2011 page 5 says. (This article can be found on the official website of Jehovah's Witnesses at JW.org) You may be surprised at such an admission, but it is there for all to see, and the ramifications of such a statement are chilling when analyzed. I thought it was worth breaking down and disassembling what this means in the light of critical thinking, something that is sorely lacking among most Jehovah's Witnesses unfortunately.

You may have noticed that the writers of JW.org and other Watchtower literature and policies are expert spin doctors at implying things without ever actually saying them. Propagandists, demagogues, and professional symbol manipulators excel at the art of implying something without ever coming out and actually saying it. Communist governments are especially good at spreading propaganda this way so as to exercise influence and control upon the people they rule over.

What is this risk they are hinting at? Most will know immediately... Watch the video to learn more!
    --------------------------------------------

Also see the accompanying article which contains screen grabs and an expanded discussion of this topic at the JWStruggle blog here:

http://www.jwstruggle.com/2013/11/baptism-is-a-risk-says-jw-org/

• Zoos
    Zoos

marked

• LV101
    LV101

May we make a guess? I don't want to watch the video right now but it's a risk because of contaminated water/germs, etc. or because once baptized we are on the line to be a follower of Christ (or whoever w/tower promotes). If baptized we are accountable and not following the rules equals death - no more time outs, etc., and

• blondie
    blondie

Actually it says:

Some parentsconsider their children’s

baptism as a beneficial step

that involves risk—much like getting a

driver’s license. But do baptism and

sacred service ever threaten a person’s

future success? The Bible answers no.

-------------

I don't get the idea that the WTS thinkis its a risk but individual jws/parents. Having grown up in the WTS, I knew parents that felt that baptism was a danger, once their child got baptized it put them at risk of being disfellowshipped. So they discouraged their children from doing so or older children held off from baptism.

*** w06 4/1 p. 28 Meeting the Requirements for Christian Baptism ***Does Something Prevent You From Getting Baptized?

Certain ones may hold back from baptism because they are reluctant to accept the responsibility it brings. They realize that to meet Jehovah’s standards, they will have to make significant changes in their lives. Or they may fear that they will find it difficult to live up to God’s requirements after baptism. Some may even reason, “Maybe one day I will do something bad and be disfellowshipped from the congregation.”

*** w88 3/15 p. 14 par. 21 Trust in Jehovah Leads to Dedication and Baptism ***

But it seems that some among Jehovah’s people have gone to the other extreme. Many Christian parents let their children wait until they are in their late teens before broaching the subject of baptism.

*** w87 4/15 pp. 12-13 par. 12 Gaining Peace With God Through Dedication and Baptism ***

Should even youths consider baptism? Well, recall that Jehovah told the six armed men in the vision: “Old man, young man and virgin and little child and women you should kill off—to a ruination. But to any man upon whom there is the mark do not go near.” (Ezekiel 9:6) Of course, children too young to make a dedication would be protected by a parent’s “mark” if that parent is striving to bring the children up to love Jehovah and if they are obediently responding. (1 Corinthians 7:14) Yet, if a child is intelligent enough to make a personal decision and has reached the point where he “knows how to do what is right,” do not presume that he will continue indefinitely under the merit of his parent’s “mark.”—James 4:17.

• steve2
    steve2

Actually it appears the OP has taken the statement about 'baptism being a risk' out of context and built a whole diatribe around the misattribution.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Hey Ray, great stuff as always!

You should check out this thread on the subject:

More WT Propaganda: 10 Year Old Children Should Get Baptized!

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

But getting baptized into the JW religion IS risky!

The OP is making the point that young children are being pressured to make an irrevocable decision when they're too young to make an informed choice and consider the potential consequence: If they ever change their minds, then they will be summarily disfellowshipped and shunned by their own parents as well as all those loving "brothers and sisters."

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@ Blondie - I took their implication that it is a risk in the minds of parents as a tacit acknowledgement that baptism is a risk. Lose your child to "the world" and be forced to shun them if/when they screw up as kids are inclined to sometimes do...

Hmmm that's a HUGE risk IMO.

@ Steve2 - Me and my peeps LOVE diatribes you should try it sometime- it can be quite therapeutic...

Of course your characterization of my current YT video as a diatribe is a misattribution so your comment is really quite pointless.

I can't wait to see your next YT vid bro!

• SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker
    SanLuisObispoTruthSeeker

The focus on young ones getting baptized at a tender young age is wrong. The fear they pushed on kids made for lots of teenager disfellowshipings, how do you disfellowship a boy who dedicated himself so young he does not know why he is getting kicked out of the Organizaation? The Watchtower promotes fear instead of education, judgemental creeps instead of love, the video was great!

My New Years Resolution is to start a new diatribe, lots of weight to lose this year!

• blondie
    blondie

RayP, but that is not what the WTS officially said. I know that parents and unbaptized children see it as a risk...but that is by their own extension. The WTS over my years has never discouraged young jws from getting baptized because of their age (babies a side) and actually severely cautions jw parents and their children from holding back. The WTS does the exact opposite, encourages children to get baptized even younger than in my teen and pre-teen years. And the WTS scares them by never pinning down an exact age for the "age of responsibility" at which point the child is considered personally responsible. I can remember parents constantly questioning the elders as to when that age was worried that their unbaptized child would die at Armageddon not being under the protection of their parent(s) baptism.

*** w10 11/15 p. 15 par. 14 Young Ones—What Will You Do With Your Life? ***

Some may hesitate to get baptized out of fear that they may be disfellowshipped at a later time. Do you have this fear? If so, such fear is not necessarily unhealthy in itself. It can mean that you appreciate the serious responsibility that comes with being one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Might there also be another reason? Maybe you are not yet convinced that living by God’s standards is the best way of life. In that case, thinking about the consequences that come to those who ignore Bible standards can help you to make up your mind. On the other hand, it could be that you love God’s standards but do not trust yourself to be able to live up to them. Actually, that can be a good sign, for it shows humility on your part. After all, the Bible says that all imperfect human hearts are treacherous. (Jer. 17:9) But you can be successful if you constantly ‘keep on guard according to God’s word.’ (Read Psalm 119:9.) Whatever reasons there are for your hesitation to get baptized, you need to resolve such issues and concerns.

*** w06 4/1 p. 28 par. 12 Meeting the Requirements for Christian Baptism ***

Certain ones may hold back from baptism because they are reluctant to accept the responsibility it brings. They realize that to meet Jehovah’s standards, they will have to make significant changes in their lives. Or they may fear that they will find it difficult to live up to God’s requirements after baptism. Some may even reason, “Maybe one day I will do something bad and be disfellowshipped from the congregation.”

*** w06 7/1 p. 29 par. 15 Youths, Make It Your Choice to Serve Jehovah ***

Could it be that you hesitate to take this important step for fear of being held accountable should you fall into wrong conduct? If so, think of this: Would you refuse to apply for a driver’s license simply because you were afraid that some day you might have an accident? Of course not! Neither should you hesitate to get baptized if you qualify. Indeed, you will be strongly motivated to do your utmost to resist wrongdoing if you have dedicated your life to Jehovah and have agreed to do his will. (Philippians 4:13) Young ones, please do not imagine that by postponing baptism, you avoid accountability. When you have reached the age of responsibility, you are answerable to Jehovah for the way you act whether you are baptized or not.—Romans 14:11, 12.

*** w92 10/1 pp. 21-22 ‘Should I Get Baptized?’ ***

If you are a young person, you might be thinking, ‘I am still young.’ It is true that as long as young people remain obedient and responsive to their Christian parents and apply the Scriptures to the best of their ability, they can have confidence that Jehovah views them as “holy.” In fact, the Bible tells us that divine approval of righteous parents extends to dependent children. (1 Corinthians 7:14) However, no age limit is given in the Bible as to when this dependency period ends. Therefore, it is important for Christian youths to consider seriously the question: ‘Should I get baptized?’

*** yp2 chap. 37 p. 306 Should I Get Baptized? ***

If you’re not baptized, you’re not accountable to God for your actions.

False.

James 4:17 states: “If one knows how to do what is right and yet does not do it, it is a sin for him”—baptized or not. So if you know what’s right and you’re mature enough to take a serious look at your life, perhaps this is the time to talk matters over with a parent or another mature Christian. In that way, you can learn how to progress toward baptism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit