Norwegians: Stick With What You Are Good At.

by Englishman 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Atreyu
    Atreyu

LDH said:

Well, that's gotta be warm! I'll bet bamboo grows like wildfire

It does! I have japanese bamboo in my garden. A few years back I grew corn in my garden - with success (but that summer was unusually fair).

hillary_step said:

Grunt spoke of Norwegian 'history' in his post.

You agreed that the issues he mentioned were true but had happened 'in the past', ie. history.

Grunt has not actually distorted anything but reported quite accurately a facet of Norwegian history that would understandably rather be forgotten. Every nation, *without exception* has its historical and contemporary failings.

It wasn't easy to see that he spoke of historical incidents all the way. And when I had problems with this, others will also have. Most of us read very quickly through these pages.

And he DID distort some facts about Quisling. These are the facts: 1) Most Norwegians detested Quisling during his regime, 2) he was never a hero after 1945, except among neo-nazis, 3) he was without authority in police matters, which includes the deportation of Norwegian jews, 4) no one in Norway knew the real destiny of the jews before the Allied victory.

• LDH
    LDH

Atreyu--

I was just teasing you....but you taught me!

I just planted some yesterday myself....

Lisa

• Matty
    Matty

One thing the Norwegians are definitely good at - they make the best internet browser in the world - OPERA!

http://www.opera.com/

Sorry about the plug, but I just had to.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Atreyu,

It wasn't easy to see that he spoke of historical incidents all the way. And when I had problems with this, others will also have. Most of us read very quickly through these pages.

Yes, perhaps you are right, I tend to scrutinize these posts carefully.

I did not and do not want to get into a Norway vs. the Rest Of The World issue here. As I pointed out no country can hold the historical, or contemporary moral high ground on these kinds of issues, they are all hiding skeletons in their political cupboards and there is always two ends to every stick.

My own point is that when extremism of any sort enters the front door, intelligence tends to leap out of the window.

Kind regards - HS

• Prisca
    Prisca

Imbue defending the Norwegians... what a surprise....

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy HS,

"My own point is that when extremism of any sort enters the front door, intelligence tends to leap out of the window." HS

That's an incredibly brilliant statement - I'm stealing it. But people won't think that I made it up "all by myself." Did you make it up all by yourself? Damn, thought so.

And it would seem to hold true in so many areas of life.

waiting

• Imbue
    Imbue

Prisca, I'm not defending THE NORWEGIANS. I was mearly stating that as an American I don't have a problem with others critizing this goverment since it acts as a terrorist and effects everyone else. I mentioned Norm since that is who Englishman was talking about.

I should say including you, Prisca. I have no problem with non-Americans criticizing the US government because it effects everyone. Is that clear enough?

[Disclaimer: contrary to popular belief I have not taken sides simply because I post sometimes at Kent's site. I have gotten some thoughtful replies to some posts at kent's. However, when I posted the same posts here they got lost in the sex threads. That's why I post at Kent's]

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• larc
    larc

Imbue,

As Hillary pointed out in two posts, all nations have acted as terrorists, so for you to separate us out as somehow more inherently evil, ignores the facts of history. The only nations, tribes and peoples that have not acted as terrorists are now extinct. That's just the way it is.

• Grunt
    Grunt

Hi Atreyu,
    Please notice I said "Their feet stink too." TOO. I was not trying to bash Norway. I was only responding in the same ink to the USA bashing that goes on. I usually try to ignore it, some people can only gain stature by tearing others down. This one just went over the line a little. I love my country, I served it. I also like people in general and the earth at large. I would like very much to see Norway, and so many other places. I despise lies and manipulators. I detest cults, having made myself and my family the victims of one, namely the Witnesses. I oppose them at every opportunity and have much more in common with an ex-witness from anywhere than a witness from my hometown. At least the Norwegians will speak to me! If I were to talk politics here I would support anyone that is against a cult, especially a destructive cult that claims to be the only true faith and who believes they are assured of paradise if they destroy those who do not share their "faith." These poor Arab children who are blowing themselves and others up never had a chance. I don't hate them, I do hate the cult that promises them paradise for deeds of hatred.
    The things I said about Norway are true, but my country and most others have done things just as bad. The best thing about the USA is that it is made up of people from all over. I hope all those who come here from Norway are as nice as you seem to be. I hope I didn't offend you, as you and Norway were not my real targets. Have you posted your story here? If not I would love to hear it sometime if you wouldn't mind telling it.

Waiting - So good to see your name. A good post as per usual. Even when you don't post the wisdom you recognize and seize it! I hope all is well with you and yours.

• Imbue
    Imbue

Prisca,
    Since you brought it up...let's discuss this:

You, Larc and Teejay seem to think because I have clarified some things said about Kent's policy of copying and pasting that I have taken sides with the people there. And that is not true. You have a subjective view of this matter(between you all). However, I have an objective view since I have not been hurt by either group.

If I saw someone posting inaccurate hurtful information about any of you. I would say something as well. Since, they are being careful right now over there, they haven't been talking about over here. So I haven't had to speak up about anything. I would advocate for anyone I thought was wronged.

Really, If I saw someone posting inaccurate things over there I would say something. I'm not mean... ask Teejay. I'm not an unreasonable sort, really. I'm not here to fight with people. Only to freely express my views about the WT and religion or whatever may arise.

However, I won't take any c*** from anyone. If you knew what I did for a living then you would understand...LOL Perhaps you will someday if we become friends. We are not so different.

I don't even dislike Teejay we just irritate each other. He loves it I can tell.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit