Do you think Born Agains are tired of waiting for the "Rapture"?

by booker-t 24 Replies latest jw friends

• booker-t
    booker-t

My heart goes out to Born Agains that are still waiting for the Rapture and Jesus taking them to heaven. They are no different then JWs waiting for Armaggeddon. How much time must goes by before both groups say "enough is enough"? Are they willing to wait another 2000 years before they call "uncle"?

• designs
    designs

There is a big push, again, to bring about the End Times. Former President George Bush has joined an organization focused on converting Jews to Jesus in an all out effort to bring on the Second Coming (3.3 million dead in Iraq wasn't enough damage).

• JeffT
    JeffT

I used to go to an evengelical church where most members believed in the rapture. The difference between most JW's and most believers in the rapture is that the mainstream Christians continue to live there lives on the assumption that they will be here a while. I've never known an evangelical to sell their house or cash in their life insurance because the rapture was going to be so soon. Our church made (happy) announcements when children were accepted into college. Yet almost all of these people would tell you that the rapture could occur at any time.

• jgnat
    jgnat

My daughter is working with a Seventh-Day Adventist who is planning on a short time here on earth. They are rather careless with credit. Sound familiar?

• carla
    carla

Most born agains that I know do not care one way or another when the 'rapture' comes. They carry on with life as if they will be here until they are well into their 90's. All the born agains I know are extremely financially responsible taking great care with retirement, credit and making sure they do all they can to pay all bills on time, they feel it is the only right thing to do. Many of the born again churches have classes about money and debt in the recent years.

I noticed my jw thinks that born again's pray for the end to come, I point blank asked my born again friends and they clearly stated that they do not. My jw feels the 'Lord's Prayer' is about praying for the 'end' to come. sigh.

I would add that I do know of a few churches that are 'rapture' waiting types, they seem on the fringes to most people I know.

• blondie
    blondie

Do jws pray for Armageddon to come?

*** w68 8/1 p. 479 Questions From Readers ***

In view of what is recorded at Matthew 5:44, is it wrong to pray for Armageddon to come?—B. S., U.S.A.

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus said, at Matthew 5:44: “Continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you.”

Some have incorrectly concluded from those words that it would be wrong ever to look forward to the judgment and punishment of God’s enemies. That Jesus did not mean this is shown from his acknowledgment that some persons are condemned to everlasting destruction in Gehenna. He said to some opposers in his day: “Serpents, offspring of vipers, how are you to flee from the judgment of Gehenna?” (Matt. 23:33) What enemies, then, did Jesus have in mind, for whom Christians are to pray?

Christ was speaking about individuals who in ignorance persecute Jesus’ disciples. Christians could pray that these persons have their eyes opened to see the truth concerning Jehovah and his promised new order. Even when opposed, Christians do not react with malice, threats and hate, but they continue to show principled love. (1 Pet. 2:23) They know that often persecution comes about because of ignorance on the part of the persecutors. In fact, the apostle Paul wrote: “Formerly I was a blasphemer and a persecutor and an insolent man. Nevertheless, I was shown mercy, because I was ignorant and acted with a lack of faith.”—1 Tim. 1:13.

Realizing this, Christians do not develop the spirit of vengeance that we see so prevalent today, the giving back of evil for evil. It is not the course for them. Paul counseled: “Keep on blessing those who persecute; be blessing and do not be cursing. Return evil for evil to no one.” (Rom. 12:14, 17) Hence, Christians avoid reacting the way James and John did when, because of inhospitality shown, they wanted to call down fire from heaven and annihilate a certain Samaritan village. Properly, Jesus reproved them for that attitude. (Luke 9:52-55) In harmony with this avoidance of a vengeful attitude, Christians do not pray or hope that Armageddon will come soon to wipe out a certain individual who may be persecuting Christians at the moment or who has acted inhospitably toward the Kingdom good news. Jehovah has been patient up till now, and Christians ought to strive to imitate him. By showing patience and principled love they ‘prove themselves sons of their Father who is in the heavens.’—Matt. 5:45; 2 Pet. 3:9.

Does all of this mean that it is wrong to pray for Armageddon to come? Well, is it wrong to pray for God’s kingdom to come? No, and Matthew 5:44 does not contradict what Jesus taught his disciples to pray: “Let your kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also upon earth.” (Matt. 6:10) What does that mean? It includes the fighting of “the war of the great day of God the Almighty,” resulting in the destruction of human kingdoms so that God’s will can be done on earth as in heaven.—Rev. 16:14-16; Dan. 2:44.

--------------

What the WTS fails to mention is that "human kingdoms" = all over 7 billion non-jw men, women, and children, into an eternal grave.

• extractor
    extractor

Really? I don't know any Born Again Christians who are "waiting on the rapture". Any time future rewards are talked about amongst BAs, it's almost always in reference to rewards at death, hopefully in their 80s or 90s. Most think the same for their children, BTW.

• steve2
    steve2

Each new generation of believers believes that it is on the brink of a major apocalyptic event. By the time a 'generation' of believers grows tired of waiting, it has already been replaced by newer generations of believers who believe they are on the brink of a major apocalyptic event .

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I suspect Rapture theology is approaching its twilight years.

• tec
    tec

I don't know much about born agains (evengelicals, I think, come in many 'flavors')... but the promise of Christ returning to gather those who belong to Him is true.

Many DO hope for Him to return in their lifetime. I do. But 'no one knows the day or the hour'. Though He has not left us as orphans, but IS here as the Spirit. He IS alive. So we can continue to listen to Him and do whatever He asks of us... proclaiming Him, saying, as He (the Spirit)... and the Bride say to you and to anyone who thirsts and wishes,

"Come! Take the free gift of the water of life."

He will come when He comes, without losing even one who belongs to Him and who can come to Him. Not all who belong to Him have yet come to Him.

Peace to you,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit