bad manic episode-went to hospital

by love2Bworldly 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

Call the hospital. They should have checked to ensure your insurance covered the medication they started you on.

Are you sure it's all Depakote that isn't covered? That doesn't sound right to me. It's not a new drug or anything. Maybe it's extended release or the way your prescription was written, and the hospital may be able to give you a different script.

• kokyong.soon3
    kokyong.soon3

Sodium volparate is also the medicine for bipolar

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Kaiser is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO stupid. Apparently they were trying to fill my prescription under the brand name (not covered), instead of the generic name. The doctor had to reorder it.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Lov2B,

I am going through a similar change in health care providers. It is scary not to see reliable and trusted faces. Also, I moved back to the New York area and find that private insurance doctors have declined. Unless you can self-pay, the pickings are mediocre. There are a few tips I learned. First, the importance of one good physician who will direct you to other good practiciioners. This can take a while. Once I find a superb doctor, they steer me to others. If you ask directly, they may not answer. I ask if they were going to choose an md, which one would they choose. Let me see. I've also vowed never to repeat confidential referrals even under threat of torture.

As you may not know, I was very ill for many years. Medicine is an art form as much as it is science. A doctor's receptionists.secretaries are just as important as the doctor. My pharmacist is telling me which doctors call back in a timely manner. If they don't call, I need to look elsewhere. Asserting oneself is hard when you don't feel well. All too often I accept poor care b/c I think something is better than nothing. People will think I am too pushy. This sets me up for a hard fall. You need to watch out for yourself. Every time I cave in for the easy and deferential, I pay dearly at a later time.

So if I do not receive good care, I call the practice administrator and state my displeasure. Can we plan a remedy? Hospitals have all sorts of administrators. I will now doctors I think they provide excellent care but their administrative staff is not responsive. My time is as valuable as their time. I remind them that NYC is doctor dense and I will walk elsewhere if I Have to do so.

Uncertainty is scary. Hopefully, your move will be a great improvement. Only after I have done my part can I blame the doctors, hospital.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I am so glad to hear you are doing better. Mental illnesses are so difficult to deal with and after doing much research on bi-polar it is suggested that you get involved in a support group because most people that have it will go off their meds when they feel better and then it starts the cycle of spiraling out of control. I have seen so many friends go through this cycle.

I too have dealt with severe depression but for me getting out of the cult and seeing a therapist has changed my life for the better. It is amazing what our mind does to us when we are in a toxic situation. My body was turning against me and my quality of life had gotten so low. I feel like a different person and I am off all prescription meds for depression.

Hang in there, it sounds like you are on the right path and keep taking your meds also I can't remember what you said about this because I read this post last night but, if you aren't seeing a therapist I would highly recommend it Because they can change your life if you find a very good one.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I have a new therapist all set up for January in my new health plan.

I have also just completed a 4 week session of 12 hours called "WRAP", forgot what that term stands for. It's a free thing through my local county agency that teaches bipolar people how to track everything in a binder from symptoms to triggers to emergency plans. Then after you fill out the binder, you show it to close family/friends so that they learn how to help if I become sick again. I wrote down every symptom I could think of that starts happening to me and it is SO helpful because this past week has been pretty stressful with my whacky family members due to my stepmoms death.

I am feeling empowered after that class, like I can take better care of myself.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

That sounds sounds like a really good program for you, I am glad that you received the help you needed. I know from reading about bi-polar it is so important to have a support system to help you stay on track Because it is so easy to stop taking your meds when you are feeling well. My understanding is if you can stay on the meds and take care of yourself you can live a very normal life. Knowing what your triggers are will be very helpful.

I hope you can learn how to keep your stress levels down and I wish you much success in staying on course. I hope your new therapist will work out for you. If you find you aren't clicking with them don't hesitate to find another one. They can be such a great tool in your life.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I am glad you are doing well. Empowerment is good, it's always best to be informed and take charge of your health care.

• adamah
    adamah

Love2BeWorldly said-

I wrote down every symptom I could think of that starts happening to me and it is SO helpful because this past week has been pretty stressful with my whacky family members due to my stepmoms death. I am feeling empowered after that class, like I can take better care of myself.

That's great news to hear, as prevention is the key, learning how your brain responds to situations. I'm sure you're aware of the importance of getting plenty of restful and sound SLEEP, since lack of sleep is an extremely common trigger (and anxiety is going to prevent that, keeping you awake at night, tossing and turning).

BTW, I think it's time for you to get a new avatar: you no longer have to carry the weight of the World around on your shoulders, you know, since you're OUT of the JWs.

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit