bad manic episode-went to hospital

by love2Bworldly 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Violia
    Violia

depakote has been used widely for bipolar since the 80's. It is not expensive. side effects are a b*tch, weight gain, hair loss and funked up skin. but it does work. folks who take it say they feel they have aged 20 yrs. I took it for about 2 yrs late 80's early 90;s and stopped it bc it wrecked my hair and skin and to say nothing of weight gain. the side effects gradually go away once you stop it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valproic_acid

do not under any circumstances stop a med without consulting your doc. I had to taper off this drug.

• zeb
    zeb

Love2Bwordly:

Well as you can see you have some caring people here and i am another i have sent you apm. Yep you guessed it i am Bipolar as well.

Love from Australia

• adamah
    adamah

A minor victory against these scammers who make millions selling natural cures with ads advertising to possess claims that "they don't want you to know about" (playing to paranoia) was achieved a few days ago when famous telemarketer Kevin Treadeau was found guilty of contempt of court (for failng to pay a $37 million fine):

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2013/11/14/kevin_trudeau_jailed_for_contempt_of_court.html

He'll be sentenced in February. Remember, the industry preys off a general public who's all too willing to believe in what they want to be true and are desparate for a cure.

Part II of Richard Dawkins BBC special ("The Enemies of Reason") looked into homeopathy and other "natural cures":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCJoOJlP8PI

Sadly, the business of selling placebos is extremely profitable, and you all know the old saying: where there's $$$.....

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

That sounds terrible. I hope you are able to find your way out of the negative cycle. I suffered depression and "episodes" while a member of the watchtower organization. My cure was directly related to removing myself from this horrible organization. I am certainly aware that for some, the lingering effects of this cult go on for a long time. I wish you the very best.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I might add, the fact that I have remained active in JWN for almost 14 years suggests that I am not completely cured. The interaction with our group of friends in this board have been immensely helpful to me. I hope you find some comfort with others in similar situations.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Love2b: My uncle has a dual diagnosis: Bipolar and schizophrenia. On meds, he's completely within societal norms but without them, he's lost. Please appreciate the loving husband that you have for there are those who don't have anyone in the world to help them. He has scared himself in the past as well so your words resonated with me.

It's not fun, but remembering to take your meds and remaining monitored by your doctor to make sure everything is calibrated properly will go a long way towards normalcy.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear Love2B, I am glad too that you are getting the hang of controlling your health. Many many of us have to take medication, in my case, for the rest of my life. (Blood Pressure).

A relative of mine, XJW actually, who is very dear to me, is Bi-polar , and he has had several occasions where he has stopped using his Meds. convinced he does not need them, then we get the manic phase returning. It is very difficult for his family to handle.

Please realise that the doctors, the meds they prescribe and the advice they give are all simply to help you. Act on what they suggest.

Many of the Bi-polar people I know, in contrast to my relative, take seriously handling their health regime, and they are indistinguishable from people who do not have the problem.

And maybe coincidentally, I don't know, but many of them are extremely creative and entertaining people.

All the best to you !

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

It's true that a lot of "natural cures" are noting more than expensive placebos, on the other hand the pharmaceutical industry sells a lot of expensive placebos too. There are more regulations and controls with prescription medications, but that does not mean every drug approved works as promised and we have all seen the warnings in fine print, drugs being recalled and multi million dollar lawsuits. Caveat emptor, no matter what your doctor says, check out everything before you take it. I got burned with a bad drug once, I learned the hard way. I do not believe in some conspiracy on the part of drug manufacturers, but they are in it to make a profit, so you have to keep that in mind.

I struggle with two chronic health issues, plus seasonal depression. I work with my doctors, I do take some prescription medications, but I was still having a pretty bad quality of life. My condition has been compared to advanced cancer or kidney dialysis in pain levels and the impact to quality of life. I researched, read and looked at everything that could possibly help. There are usually discussion boards for every type of health issue, they can be a valuable resource. As was with anything, do your research. If the person telling you to take something is also making money on it, think twice. I tried several "natural cures", some did not work, some actually did. At least with the natural remedies, the side effects were not worse that the condition itself.

I tried a special type of physical therapy, it helped, but my insurance would not pay for it, and at $225 per visit, I could not afford to do it very long. I found a book that shows you how to do your own therapy, it has helped more that the expensive physical therapist. It's called "The trigger point Therapy workbook". I have Fibromyalgia, so I was familiar with trigger points ( points throughout your body that are tender and painful) but this book detailed far more points than I knew about. Results were amazing, my pain is substantially less. I highly recommended it for anyone having pain or physical issues of any kind. I also practice meditation, that has helped me with my pain issues and other things as well. I highly recommend that for anyone.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Thank you for all your posts, I can't believe sometimes how supportive everyone is on this forum, it really touches me

• Etude
    Etude

The Depakote word triggered my memory. It’s something I heard on the news recently. Apparently, Abbot Laboratories was fined $1.5 BILLION for the off-label promotion of Depakote. That’s not to say that it doesn’t work in some instances. The problem is pharmaceutical companies are getting greedy and are marketing their drugs for other uses. For that and for failure to disclose safety data or for kickbacks, they’re being fined by the FDA:

GlaxoSmithKline -- $3 billion -- Avandia, Wellbutrin, Paxil

Pfizer -- $2.3 billion -- Bextra, Geodon, Zyvox, Lyrica

Eli Lilly -- $1.4 billion -- Zypreza

And the list goes on. The efficacy of Statins has also been recently called into question. It’s a bitch being sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit