Finally sending a letter to the elders today

by Suraj Khan 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Your reply:

Dear Suraj Khan:

As you have stated you said you left in 1988 to attend a University. As you know, during that time, the faithful and discreet slave (Matt 24:45) was publishing ample spiritual food about the dangers of attending a University and how close the end was since the generation of 1914 was getting older and older. Even though the faithful and discreet slave is in no way inspired, they have instructed that we are to take their instructions as from Jehovah himself because both Jehovah and Jesus fully trust in them.

Your leaving the congregation to attend a university when the light of the time taught that the end was so close was seen as desertion and rebellion. (Num 16:1).

We welcome you to start attending meetings again where you will be ignore and shunned and if you don't miss any for 2 years, we will consider reinstating you.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I would add at least that you are considering legal action if they don't rectify this immediately. This letter will just put you back in the treadmill of acknowledging their (the elders and the borg) power over you and their minions. If you however reference a power higher than them (the courts etc) they will usually take notice.

I would phrase it like such:

To whom it may concern,

In x I attended your congregation, I never consented as an adult to live by any of your rules. However for whatever reason your community was informed by agents representing a number of your corporations (including but not limited to Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses of <town>, Watch Tower and Bible Tract Society of Pennsylvania) that I should be ostracized for various reasons including but not limited to going to get a higher education which was at that point forbidden by your internal rules. This sort of ostracizing has caused me and my family members, some of which continue to practice the faith you represent, severe psychological distress.

Please rectify this situation immediately by announcing to your members that contact with me should not be limited since none of your internal rules regards the treatment of ex-members apply to my situation. If you choose not to rectify this situation, I will be forced to seek legal redress and financial restitution for legal costs and the substantial medical counseling as well as any restitution a jury of my peers may find proper, in the court of <insert county> or any court that may have jurisdiction over any of your corporations.

cc: WTBTS, elders, lawyer

• Suraj Khan
    Suraj Khan

Mous - at this point I am genuinely interested in their responses and I think an evenhanded, almost dispassionate inquiry will bear more fruit than immediate legal threat.

This is not to say that the elders' (and by extension the WTBTS') decision to cause my family to shun me for over two decades isn't a terrible thing. In reality, winning a legal case for intentional infliction of emotional distress by actively encouraging my family to shun me would be a tough sell in a court. In fact, it might be groundbreaking, because I know of no other similar suit which was brought along those lines much less won.

Anyway, I'll see if I can get some answers first. Plenty of time to try to catch flies with vinegar if the honey doesn't work.

• clarity
    clarity

"23 years of shunning."

>

((Suraj)) so sorry that happened to you

>

What an evil cult!

clarity

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Suraj Khan, I am so, very sorry how you have been unjustly treated by family and former friends.

You see, I used to be a gullible, take me to your Leader and I will do whatever WT/GB say... Type of person.

A real true believer. I had my fist hanging on tight to that 'golden ticket' to a paradise earth. lol

A dear friend of mine, her only son was an unbaptized publisher, and when he decided that his parents' religion was not for him,

he quit coming. It was announced from the platform, "That ***** *****, is no longer considered one of Jehovah's Witness".

It was like a death knell had been rung out.

That happened in about 1966.

LoisLane

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Wow. I hope they respond and that you share with us. So very sorry that you have had to endure such unwarranted unkindness from your own family. Disfellowshipping is terrible in and of itself. Disfellowshipping of teenagers is abhorent and should be criminal.

-Aude.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

marked.

Interested to hear their reply as well.

Eden

• Zoos
    Zoos

EVEN IF errors were made and decisions get reversed, my personal response to the entire situation would not include cozying back up to a family that shunned me and may now be trying to reach out just because the WT corporate bosses say it's okay now. People like that need to sit with the consequences of what they have done.

That's easy for me to say. I have absolutely no love anymore for the people who used to be family.

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

Another victim of the loving arrangement of shunning I'm curious if they'll respond; hoping the best for you.

• mzmmom
    mzmmom

.marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit