What have Jehovah's Witnesses copied from the Mormons

by konceptual99 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 88JM
    88JM

I think there were some similarities drawn between the Mormon's website and the new JW.org

• cantleave
    cantleave

Both cults rely on the deluded to support them.

• dozy
    dozy

I don't think that the WTBTS deliberately copies from the Mormons. From what I can see , the LDS church is a slicker , much richer variant of the survivors of the numerous late 1800's USA sects with even more wacky beliefs , for which they have had to produce their own addition to the bible. (At least the WTBTS pays lip service to the scriptures - albeit they can never resist twisting them or adding to them. )

I'm often struck by the similarities between the "apostate" Mormon sites like www.ex-mormon.org and similar ex-JW sites.

• metatron
    metatron

Possible recent imitation of the Mormon Church:

1) WTS baptism now encouraged at an early age.

2) Showing the Annual Meeting with GB members at local Kingdom Halls now (similar)

3) Family Night (LDS thought of it first)

Could be coincidence but I'm starting to wonder.......

metatron

• metatron
    metatron

As for the Mormon Church, this is my take on it.

As I look at the human race, it seems that little or nothing of significant value ever happens without "white " lies or outright fantasy thrown in.

Politics? This or that candidate is honest and will do good things, blah, blah blah. Conflict? This or that war will change everything, create democracy and bring about peace, blah, blah. Science? (yup, science) - we'll find a cure for cancer, get energy too cheap to meter, or predict all manner of disasters that never happen.

So, while I find Mormon theology to be frequently humorous, their structure still produces some interesting results. The 'mission' that good Mormon kids go on is a neat rite of passage. Mormon internal charity is interesting, too.

Compare this idea with what 'Startrek' did: helped break down racial barriers (like kissing Uhura), encouraged tolerance, triggered interest in developing "Communicator" style cell phone technology and also encouraged engineering students to get a degree because 'they wanted to be like Scotty' (that's not a joke - it actually came up in some polls in colleges). Shows you what inspiring fiction can do, huh?

We humans are a pathetic lot. Since we don't live very long, we need lies to encourage us and keep us going as a society. This concept is called 'the Vital Lie'.

In large measure, this is why I gave up on the WTS. It only made sense as a disciplined, moral organization that improved lives - not as a scheme of doctrine (there's too many 'holes' or bits of nonsense in it). After observing Bethel, the leadership, the phoniness, the cover-ups and the needless suffering of so many Witnesses , I was ready when I witnessed the cover-up of a molestation in my family. The Last Straw.

If a man is a plumber and he can't fix your leaks - or a mechanic who can't get your car to run, you fire him. And beyond any scriptural arguments about the "Truth", that's how I feel.

metatron

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Jehovah's Witnesses did not evolve from the Mormons, they just have a common ancestor.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for that inside information Qcmbr.

they read somewhere that Mormonism is a cult, they just repeat it - ColdSteel

Mormonism is a cult - Hey you were right.

How can you wear magic underpants and still pretend you're not in a cult?

• JeffT
    JeffT

I think it is very useful to find common problems associated with various cults.

One thing the Mormons do very well is encourage their members to be educated and engaged members of their community. This is something the WTBS will never do.

• Calebs Airplane
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I'm willing to bet the GB are doing everything they can to learn and copy from the mormons, they also have learned and done a real nice job of coping the leadership of the Catholics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit