What have Jehovah's Witnesses copied from the Mormons

by konceptual99 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Have JWs pinched anything other than Family Worship from the Mormons?

Could we see JWs implement a type of meeting structure similar to the Mormons to try and engage different ages in different ways?

Could we ever see a JW feel free to do anything like...?

http://www.youtube.com/user/MormonsBelieve?feature=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnhsDuj285c

• Laika
    Laika

I've heard Mormon meetings are as boring as JW ones, I'm not sure borrowing would achieve much.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

The LDS have a surefire way of keeping track of who in the flock contributes financially and who doesn't, thanks to the tithing.

Since Brooklyn/Warwick would never try to introduce such a draconian and unscriptural money-grabbing scheme, they are left with the dilemma as to how to shame those who are not donating, because contributing is done anonymously.

One possible scenario is that contribution boxes could be removed totally from Kingdom Halls and the publishers issued with banking mandate forms which authorise a certain payment monthly to the Org - purely to save on the hassle of counting the money every week, the administration, and the efficiency of having it all done electronically of course!!

Oh, oh - have I just given them an idea on how to fleece more efficiently?

• St George of England
    St George of England

Exciting item for this weeks service Meeting - "How we can help to meet the needs of others" based on WT Nov 15, 2013, Pages 8-9.

This is the annual begging article and tells all the different ways you can contribute to the society.

Tithing could be a 'suggestion' in the future.

By the way, we never solicit for donations.

George

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Searcher: The LDS have a surefire way of keeping track of who in the flock contributes financially and who doesn't, thanks to the tithing.

And why, exactly, do you think we LDS use this information in any way? I gladly tithe and have never been pressured or constrained in any way, nor have I heard of any other LDS member having his tithing information used in such a way. We have little envelopes where we may fill in our contributions, and if we choose not to contribute, we have the free agency not to. We also can read what we wish, attend any other church we wish, stay home when we wish and disagree with our authorities regarding doctrine when we wish.

Since Brooklyn/Warwick would never try to introduce such a draconian and unscriptural money-grabbing scheme, they are left with the dilemma as to how to shame those who are not donating, because contributing is done anonymously.

Hmmm...I guess we'll have to remove that "unscriptural" scripture:

Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. (Malachi 3:8-10)

• Comatose
    Comatose

Cold Steel please comment on JW topics only and leave the Mormon ones to us JWs. ;)

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

That's what I normally do, Coma. The problem is when people make remarks attacking my religion. I have never started a thread that wasn't about Jehovah's Witnesses. But when someone challenges my beliefs (just as when someone challenges the beliefs of an atheist), then I have no problem about responding (just as an atheist would respond to an attack on his beliefs).

Ex-JWs are raw. Most are coming out of a long, hellish experience and they've been burned. Many, to avoid being burned again, become atheists or agnostics. They get testy and start tossing out the "C" word (cult). Then, because they read somewhere that Mormonism is a cult, they just repeat it. Fine. First century Christianity was a cult. But the word now carries a nasty connotation where the prophet, guru, haszrat or whoever is an authority-grubbing Cool Aid mixer.

So, fine. I don't think they can help themselves. The problem is, I've been here longer than most of them have and it's been only comparatively recently that I revealed my own religion. Thus, I'll keep outta Mormonism if people on the board stay away from it. But many people are curious about it. Others are willing to hear new ideas, and still others just want to rant and talk about how all of religion is a joke. As far as I'm concerned, if a board's going to be open and if people are searching, I'll defend the Bible, the prophets, Christianity and, if someone wants to take potshots, Mormonism. And if the atheists become beseiged unfairly, I'll speak up for them, too.

• DS211
    DS211

Cold steel i have a PM for ya

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Tithing is used within the Mormon church to determine worthiness. If you want to take part in family religious events such as weddings you must pay the church for that privilege. Many heartbroken parents are denied access to their children's wedding based upon this cynical ploy. The church uses that money in a secret way which is a big indicator about what's really going on. A lie is allowed to persist within the organisation that no one gets paid ( a pass is given for secular roles such as lawyers where they are employed )but in reality the only people who don't get paid are the local workers, the bishops, sunday school teachers, youth leaders and leaders in the women's organisation and so on. Once you reach a sufficient level you hit the good time. For those at the top the rewards are ridiculous. Millions of dollars flow into the pockets of the top men and women both in direct payments but also in the form of fake jobs ( they sit on the boards of church owned businesses being paid handsomely for nothing ), they receive the best food, free travel, use of private jets, free accommodation in lavish style , free healthcare and so on. This privilege extends right down through their family with the children's scholarships being paid, family cruise style holidays and nepotism within well paid church jobs. Additional funds are extended to cover debts, pay for ghost writers to write the next cash making words of *cough* wisdom book and to make interest free loans.

The church as an organisation is moving heavily away from any pretence of being divine or a charity. Less than 1.5% of church income is expended on charitable work outside the church. A charity that makes billions a year it can afford to spend a few million here and there on obscure projects. The vast bulk of charitable payments in the church of course fall upon the already fleeced church members who having paid 10% then are asked for additional offerings. Back in the 70s you used to put a note on the tithing slip when the church was collecting for a special cause but now the instruction ( in the UK at least) is not to and of course this is because the church can siphon off the money as they desire without creating an accounting headache.

Why would the kingdom of heaven need hunting lodges, shopping malls, hotels, vast real estate holdings, a university , a communications company, life insurance holdings, book publishing firms and so on?

Will a man rob god? Presumably omniscient super beings are pretty hard to rob. The real question is will the church leaders rob the members? The answer is Of course obvious.

• Wozwozza
    Wozwozza

I've belonged to both ,they share the fact that they are lying american power mongers that have a channel to god and change the "perfect" teachings by revelation but don't say that god was wrong and give give weasel reasoning for their changes to doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit