Since leaving the truth, do you celebrate holidays, and does your participation in such bring you happiness?

by Stand for Pure Worship 102 Replies latest jw friends

• losingit
    losingit

LisaRose- I keepforgetting :-)

Beautiful Xanthippe!

I grew up Catholic and particularly enjoyed Midnight Mass when the lights are off and candles are used instead. I never really did enjoy the pomp of priests during every other Sunday Mass. However, Christmas always seemed like the perfect occasion to go regal.

Recently I webt to a funeral at aCatholic church. Ididn't even know that I missed theceremonial nature of Mass. I missed seeing the altar, sitting in the pews, looking at the stained glass windows, watching people approach the altars.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

I don't.

I cant see me ever falling in with it either as i know it's all bullshit and if there is one thing I hate, it's a hypocrite. So no, I cant see me ever "celebrating" Christmas or Easter when I know it's all bollocks. This has more to do with me not believing in God or Jesus etc than with my JW upbringing and the associated baggage that comes with that.

New years I can see some sense in so maybe, birthdays quite possibly.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I celebrate whatever I want in the way I choose.

It makes no difference to my eternal life prospects whether I do or do not celebrate.

To celebrate whatever, in the way I choose, makes me really happy.

The question in the Thread title does not actually apply to me of course, I left the WT/JW scam posing as a religion, and I left because I am a lover of truth.

I did not leave the truth.

Truth is not to be found in the WT/JW scam.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Never a JW here, but I'd like to chime in. Seasonal holidays are important to mark anniversaries and anchor our memories. Otherwise our history becomes a blur. It has to do with the way our brains work.

There was a weird new-age cult in Australia that communally raised a group of children identically. Even their hair was dyed and styled the same way. There was no distinction of days, even days of the week, and a survivor described his childhood as being one big blur. His entire childhood might as well have been one day long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Family_%28Australian_New_Age_group%29

Of course, expectations won't always match reality. There's a reason that there is a depression spike over the Christmas season. But as human beings we don't normally pass up an opportunity for fun. Unless someone told us it was bad for us somehow.

My conscientious daughter almost cancelled Christmas one year as she was overwhelmed by the obligations. I had been involved with the ex-JW community for a few years at that point and I protested that she shouldn't. It is a total delight for me to watch you all build new traditions and discover the wonder. So I suggested to my daughter that she recall the best parts of Christmas past and incorporate those things. And dump the obligations. She should do what is comfortable for her family. She took my advice. Growing up in my little single parent family, we didn't have a lot of money. There were lots of arts and crafts at Christmastime. So that is the family heritage that she carried with her. Every year she and my granddaughter build a gingerbread house together.

Now, I am not as obsessive as my daughter. She's taken it so far as to perfect her gingerbread recipe from scratch, declaring the store bought inferior.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

SFPW: The only time I "left the truth," was when I studied the JW teachings for a few years.

That said, I love this question!

I have many fond memories of Christmases gone by... Sadly, the days of our entire Family getting together for fodo and festivities, is now gone. The JW's have infiltrated and succeeded in dividing our family in such a way, that we no longer see our JW relatives.

The holidays have become a major point of contention, and the WTS has succeeded in their goal. Their true motive in abstaining from family celebrations, is to isolate and control the JW Followers. My young niece and nephew are now singled out of our family, not allowed to celebrate or receive gifts from us. This indoctrination serves more than one purpose.

as others have suggested, their separation from family gives them a feeling of being "different," "chosen," and most of all "superior" to the rest of us, who have succumb to the tradiations of gathering ourselves together. Eating and exchanging gifts, with some members traveling longer distance, to "come home for the holidays," is not displeasing to Jehovah God, our heavenly father. It is displeasing to his earthly organization. The GB wants to maintain absolute control and power over every day of the year. Do not forsake the kingdom work, just to spend even an afternoon with your unbelieving relatives!

Maybe you are asking this question, because you are considering a holiday celebration yourself. Do you have any relatives or people you love, who celebrate Christmas? there is likely to be at least one aspect you would enjoy. I especially like the singing and it is so much fun to go and sing carols to shut ins at nursing homes.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

Tootired2care said "I didn't leave "the truth" (please stop calling it that), I left a mind controlling cult". Well as a matter of fact, it is the truth. However it is presented by a mind controlling cult, which erases its meaning and effectiveness.

Even if I weren't raised a JW, I would not get into the holidays because I like my freedom and do not want to be enslaved by the holidays.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

Well as a matter of fact, it is the truth.

Does truth change?

• free2beme
    free2beme

Yes, and very much so. I am a stone cold Pagan and see holidays has something I make matter and with the help of good imaginations and traditions. They're fucking awesome!!!

• adamah
    adamah

WMF said-

I cant see me ever falling in with it either as i know it's all bullshit and if there is one thing I hate, it's a hypocrite. So no, I cant see me ever "celebrating" Christmas or Easter when I know it's all bollocks. This has more to do with me not believing in God or Jesus etc than with my JW upbringing and the associated baggage that comes with that.

You're kidding, right? You DO realize that a large % of non-JWs who do celebrate Xmas and other holidays don't actually celebrate it as if they actually BELIEVE the rituals, right? My extended family are largely atheists, but they enjoy the beauty of the appearance of festive holidays decorations, decorating the Xmas tree, the idea of waking up Xmas morning and enjoying the day off, and walking thru the neighborhood looking at the decorations and chatting with their neighbors, etc?

The cynical "Xmas is just a marketing scam" is missing the whole point, since YES, much like Valentine's Day, it's contrived. But it's up to individuals to make of it what they will.

Adam

• cantleave
    cantleave

As the father of 2 children, why wouldn't I celebrate holidays? Halloween is my personal favourite but Christmas and Easter are fun and afford some some quality family time.

I know my kids will have fonder memories of these wonderful holidays than they would have from attending any mem(bore)ial, CONvention, a$$embly or field Slavery.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit