Knowledge by Proxy

by braincleaned 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

My dear Tec, I fear the second guy is not faith in my illustration. Faith is along with religion, the first guy.
    The second guy is a seeker of evidence and logic. Reason over hope.

I think (hope) that it was pretty clear.

However, you can interpret the illustration as you feel best for you. I just wanted to make sure of my intent.
    As you know, I'm no friend of Jesus... but I respect those who disagree.
    ;)

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Ucantnome, of course! Belief one way or another is not a matter of intellegence as much as it is a matter of emotion.

I know many intellegent people that are believers. MANY. However, in my experience I have found their belief to be rather deeply rooted emotionally.
    I may be wrong... but that is what I have personally experienced, and seen around me.

• tec
    tec

I know what you meant, braincleaned.

I just hoped to use your own illustration to illustrate the difference between religion and faith, because I do not have what the first guy represents.

Peace to you,

tammy

• smiddy
    smiddy

Intelligence and beleif certainly dont go hand in hand .

smiddy

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

I was expecting more arguments against my OP.

Is it me, or do I sense that atheism may be a bit of an anoyance here?

• tec
    tec

LOl, braincleaned.

If no one argues against your OP (though i did argue a point in your OP), perhaps few people disagree ; )

I'm quite certain that some find atheism an annoyance; some find faith an annoyance; and some don't care either way.

Peace to you!

tammy

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

I think it's more than emotion

Take my daughter as an example she is studying for a phd in theology she's also a christian she joined the Anglican's recently. she's not studying biology or something else and responding emotionally to wanting some belief in God. she reads many things historical and philosophical and theological and has come to a conclusion to join a church. Not an emotional response in my view.

'Augustine wrote, No one believes anything unless one first thought it believable' (The Spirit of Early Christian Thought. Robert Louis Wilken)

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Ucantnome — Faith, by it's very defiition, is based on hope and trust in invisible, unseen evidence (Heb. 11:1).

It's not based on logic.
    It's not based on evidence.
    How could this be anything other than pure emotion?

I respect anyone's choice in the matter.
    Religion fills a need for many; but that need is not a rational one. That's all I'm saying.

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

Romans 10;17 says faith comes from hearing

• Comatose
    Comatose

I came too the realization yesterday (after a new blowup) that I'm approaching a point where I'm going to lose my close family who are JWs. I see the room is empty, they believe it's hiding an elephant. Right now I'm just seeing how long I can keep the contact. Breaks my heart. My poor parents are going to be hurt and feel it's me hurting them. But, I can't not let my wife and kids live their only lives they get.

Religion is a snare and a racket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit