Knowledge by Proxy

by braincleaned 141 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tec
    tec

Well, you STILL aren't answering the questions except with some convulted well...nothing.

And yes, some heard with their physical ears... such as when God spoke, "This is my Son, whom I love, listen to HIM."

Or again,

Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it and will glorify it again."

So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying it thundered, others were saying, 'an angel has spoken to Him."

But the Spirit is within.

Regardless, still waiting for you to answer...

Peace,

tammy

• tec
    tec

I still want to know, why does it have to be christ?

Christ is the One who speaks to me. Why would I ignore that, and beleive instead that it is someone else?

I can't PROVE it even with the bible and personal experiences... I can show how it is true and give my witness, also that others have given... but for you to know, you would have to go to Christ, yourself. You can. You can ASK to hear; you can seek Christ and truth and God... and be found... IF you truly want to.

Peace to you,

tammy

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

It would be a great thread Phizzy...

• adamah
    adamah

TEC said-

Well, you STILL aren't answering the questions except with some convulted well...nothing. And yes, some heard with their physical ears... such as when God spoke, "This is my Son, whom I love, listen to HIM." Or again, Then a voice came from heaven, "I have glorified it and will glorify it again."

So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying it thundered, others were saying, 'an angel has spoken to Him."

Well, THAT'S a start.

Can you think of any other examples where the apostles HEARD the voice of the mortal "living" Jesus with their physical ears? (and the list is LONG, in fact, that's the basis on which the entire Gospels are written).

Braincleaned said- And my goodness, who am I to take away someone's bliss and belief, true of fantasy?

Didn't you pay a heavy enough penalty in your personal life as a JW (and now, as an ex-JW) by allowing fundamentally-toxic concepts like "faith" (which is a codeword for blind obedience to authority) control your thinking and decision-making? While it's great to be respectful of the rights of others to "live and let live", TEC is actively promoting her belief in the value of faith, and you'd better believe a rationalist needs to be willing to counter it, as faith going unchecked and unopposed leads to stuff like, oh, I dunno: JWs who die by refusing blood, or the Islamic version of suicide bombers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd_hHCWlldo

• tec
    tec

TEC is actively promoting her belief in the value of faith

Faith in Christ (which is faith in His Father).

Not in religion, not in men, not in doctrines and dogmas and tradition, not in 'christianity'... but faith in Christ, and Christ alone.

Just keeping that clear.

Peace,

tammy

• braincleaned
    braincleaned

Didn't you pay a heavy enough penalty in your personal life as a JW (and now, as an ex-JW) by allowing fundamentally-toxic concepts like "faith" (which is a codeword for blind obedience to authority) control your thinking and decision-making? While it's great to be respectful of the rights of others to "live and let live", TEC is actively promoting her belief in the value of faith, and you'd better believe a rationalist needs to be willing to counter it, as faith going unchecked and unopposed leads to stuff like, oh, I dunno: JWs who die by refusing blood, or the Islamic version of suicide bombers?

Absolutely adamah, I agree — but I can only go so far in disputing a personal faith such as Tec's.
    If you have the time and energy to argue what I feel is delusion (sorry Tec, I do think this faith of yours is delusional to an extreme), then be my guest.

I am not here to argue against every single person. I am here to expose an important point about the pathos of faith. I hope that some read this thread and opt for reason and justified trust.
    Tec has always been polite and at least shared what many also feel. I am convinced that Faith is a strong emotional state that has obviously nothing to do with human reason.
    My quote above was meant to draw a line that sets a step I will not go, if only for my own sanity.

But worry not, as much as I will not destroy the beliefs of one individual — I zealously fight for Reason, Logic, and evidence based facts.

Meant with no condescendence or mockery, I choose to let Tec continue on like I do towards a child's belief in Santa.
    I am a rationalist — and I'm pretty well known, using my personal name, for exposing the folly of religious faith.
    I just don't need to continue arguing with someone who is this high in the clouds of Faith, for which I have respect for as a person.

• adamah
    adamah

Braincleaned said- Absolutely adamah, I agree — but I can only go so far in disputing a personal faith such as Tec's. If you have the time and energy to argue what I feel is delusion (sorry Tec, I do think this faith of yours is delusional to an extreme), then be my guest.

No one expects you to ANYTHING, and that's one of the beautiful things about being a rationalist: you're not expecting a punishment or reward for anything you do, other than that which makes makes the World a better place for yourself and others TODAY, in the here and now.

Braincleaned said- I am not here to argue against every single person. I am here to expose an important point about the pathos of faith. I hope that some read this thread and opt for reason and justified trust. Tec has always been polite and at least shared what many also feel. I am convinced that Faith is a strong emotional state that has obviously nothing to do with human reason. My quote above was meant to draw a line that sets a step I will not go, if only for my own sanity.

And no one doubts the importance of protecting your own sanity: by all means, do what it is your best interest.

However, I put the words in bold since TEC's perceived "politeness" is partly what makes her pushing (AKA demonstrating) her faith to others so dangerous: as an ex-JW knows, many people are fooled by a janitor who dons an empty suit who's wearing polished shoes and carrying a briefcase, where such superficial appearance and politeness lends credibility to someone who's delivering a potentially-toxic message, since here's the extreme cost of religious faith:

The doctrine of faith is WHAT Is dangerous, and it's common to ALL of Christianity, as a cornerstone of Jesus' message. Faith is the 'engine' that drives Christianity, and it is fundamentally-flawed, since it leads to abuse and control, and has NO VALUE aside from teaching individuals to blindly follow orders without thinking about their actions.

Braincleaned said- But worry not, as much as I will not destroy the beliefs of one individual — I zealously fight for Reason, Logic, and evidence based facts.

You seem to be talking out of both sides of your mouth here, for how does one "zealously fight against religious faith" WITHOUT destroying the beliefs of individuals? We're talking about INDIVIDUALS who have to see for themselves what a danger religious faith represents. No one CAN (or SHOULD) force anyone else to act: they have to "see" it for themselves, showing them WHY faith is so potentially harmful to themselves AND to others.

TEC (who's never been a JW, but only studied) seems to honestly believe faith ISN'T dangerous, when anyone who's actually been through the grinder of JW beliefs should know better, having experienced the loss of loved ones, whether due to their death to blood transfusion, or the loss via shunning.

Note TEC's not simply possessing her faith, she's advocating it to OTHERS, even SELLING it, prostelyzing for faith as a desirable trait for others to have, too.

Braincleaned said- Meant with no condescendence or mockery, I choose to let Tec continue on like I do towards a child's belief in Santa. I am a rationalist — and I'm pretty well known, using my personal name, for exposing the folly of religious faith. I just don't need to continue arguing with someone who is this high in the clouds of Faith, for which I have respect for as a person.

Don't confuse my challenge of her advocating her faith-based BELIEF with it being a personal attack against TEC. I don't have any less (and certainly not more!) respect for her as a person due to her beliefs, since I fully understand how challenging the IDEAS of a person is different from disrespecting the person, and citizens have the Constitutionally-guaranteed right to believe whatever they want (including the right to believe that fairies inhabit their garden, etc).

The problem is that many aren't able to differentiate between challenges to their beliefs vs personal attacks, since their egos are so intertwined with THEIR beliefs that it becomes difficult for them to discern any difference.

Anyway, I responded to your assertion above, since I detected a sense of someone who is uncomfortable with conflict and tension; that's a different matter entirely. Some ex-JWs still hold that "sticking thinking" of JW's, who DEMAND the superficial appearance of agreement and consensus, and don't allow ANY challenge to their Divine authority (and their attitude is merely an exaggeration of political correctness, where even non-JWs feel it's not polite to challenge religious faith). That attitude of tolerance partly explains WHY religion has been given a 'free pass' for so long, and such beliefs have only proliferated (some 78% of the U.S. population profess some form of religious faith).

Adam

• tec
    tec

Adamah... you fight against blind faith; or faith in men. I do the same thing. Since you will not answer my questions, and we cannot move past your definition of faith. You have also stated false things, and are just trying to gloss them over, so that your lack of knowledge is not shown, because if you have built any of your theories on mistakes... what does that do to your conclusions?

There is nothing dangerous about faith in Christ. If you are listening to HIM, EVEN if that means beginning with what He is WRITTEN to have said and done. But if you start listening to men... well then, you get the jws, for example. You get shunning. You get religion. You get suicides and wars and torture and executins, fought and done in the name of God... but all LIES.

I 100% agree that politeness or niceness should not be a reason to let someone do something that you consider dangerous, without at least speaking out against it. But you are not speaking out against the faith that I describe, neither you nor braincleaned are doing so. You are speaking out against you definition of faith... of which I would also, and which is not really faith in the first place.

I am also not trying to sell my faith. I will argue against false statements as pertain TO my faith, and to Christ and to God... so people at least may examine for themselves whether something is true or not, and do with that as they choose or believe is right. But I'm not here pushing my faith on anyone. Or do you consider yourself and other atheists here, as pushing atheism on others?

Peace to you,

tammy

• zound
    zound

The doctrine of faith is WHAT Is dangerous, and it's common to ALL of Christianity, as a cornerstone of Jesus' message. Faith is the 'engine' that drives Christianity, and it is fundamentally-flawed, since it leads to abuse and control, and has NO VALUE aside from teaching individuals to blindly follow orders without thinking about their actions.

Totally agree.

To me, Tec has crossed the line into willful ignorance. Many people have pointed out her flawed thinking, tried reasoning with her, tried very succinctly and kindly to help her see that faith can potentially be dangerous - but she is sending but not recieving.

Of course her emotions and desires are what keep her blinded, but there must be at some point some concious intellectual dishonesty that keeps her in her deluded and brick-wall like state. (in fact this dishonesty is easy to see in her posts)

I'm sure she's a nice person but I have zero respect for her beliefs.

• Terry
    Terry

This topic is a matter of personal taste, subjective point of view and interpretation of internal calculus which cannot successfully be debated.

Would you argue against a person who tells you their molar hurts?

"No it doesn't."

"Yes, it does."

"Why should it hurt when there is no cavity?"

And so on. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit