LOU REED - r.i.p. (a special memory)

by Unlearn 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Unlearn
    Unlearn

i've always loved Lou's music...
    hearing about his death this AM makes me remember when my little family was on the run. i was a 'visible' elder in my community, so when we got 'free' mentally, we took a choice available to us that, sadly, some don't have. we disappeared...just relocated to another town.
    listening to 'A Perfect Day' by Lou Reed reminds me of those first few months...walking through one of the big city parks on cold Sundays...both of us beaten and bruised and still in shock. we'd lost all of our friends, almost all of our family (who kind of knew we were 'spiritually sick'. heh..). we were mentally, physically, and emotionally drained, but free.
    incognito on a sunday afternoon. in a new place where no one knew us. where we could just be 'us', and it wasn't against anyones 'rules'.
    living like refugees.
    but some of those days walking through the city on Sunday mornings...i remember telling her that, you know...i could die right there with her and it somehow felt 'full' and right.

ok, im rambling.

goodbye Lou...
    -unlearn

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

OMG!! I didn't know until this moment!!! Lou Reed was EPIC!!! "A Perfect Day" is one of my all time favorites. Not too many people that I knew 'got' the genius of Lou.

• rip van winkle
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Sad to hear this. He was an intelligent and humble musician who admitted being surprised at his success. A Perfect Day was a favourite song of an old JW friend of mine from years ago and one of my favourites too. A song that reminds me of everything that counts in life: good times with family and friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYEC4TZsy-Y

• rip van winkle
  • designs
    designs

RIP

• cantleave
    cantleave

Loved Lou and The Velvet Underground. Sad loss, the heroes of my youth are all dying.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Lovely story Unlearn.

RIP Lou. Great memories are flooding back to the sound of your music.

• clarity
    clarity

Unlearn...

Your words so capture it .......they are beautiful

"where we could just be 'us', and it wasn't against anyones 'rules'.
    living like refugees.
    but some of those days walking through the city on Sunday mornings...i remember telling her that, you know...i could die right there with her and it somehow felt 'full' and right."

>

clarity

• stillin
    stillin

"She started dancing to that FINE, FINE music

her life was saved by rock and roll"

loved the "perfect day" he did along with Pavarotti. When the big P opens up his pipes, Lou was blown away!

I already miss him

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit