Goodbye JWD/JWN (my last post)

by slimboyfat 406 Replies latest jw friends

• Stealth
    Stealth

SBF, I have enjoyed reading your posts over the years and will miss them. Hope that some day you will return and bring along others that you love.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

You guys are believing this?? Stop it..

This is a post by Slim 2 days ago:

"I bet that will get the younger one thinking. There really is no good defense of the Watchtower practice of tearing up families for no better reason than some don't want to be JWs any more."

No reasonable person can change their mind 180 degrees in 2 days.

• adamah
    adamah

This is a post by Slim 2 days ago:

"I bet that will get the younger one thinking. There really is no good defense of the Watchtower practice of tearing up families for no better reason than some don't want to be JWs any more."

No reasonable person can change their mind 180 degrees in 2 days.

It's for real, and he didn't change his mind since then, he simply accepted the cold reality of the forced choice he faced and had to make.... It's truly sad.

Adam

• steve2
    steve2

Adam, there is so much that I agree with in your response to my comments in which I had taken a more lenient and understanding view of SBF's departure. I cannot fault your logic. I am just taken by the quality of mercy and humbly reminding myself I do not know deep down inside what ends up motivating a person to do an about-turn. God knows when I was younger I did about-turns and drove everyone crazy.

I know that I myself have needed other people's mercy and understanding at various times in my life - even though strict logic would suggest I did not "deserve" it. I don't think SBF is any different. Besides, the strict, legalistic, so-called holding people to account for the implications of their beliefs reminds me too much of the JW outlook.

Yes, I have sometimes felt a strong urge to say to my own JW family members, "Do you realize what you actually mean when you say people need to be active publishers in order to get through into the new system of things? You mean that everyone else will be annihilated even though you would never have the decency to say so."

Adam, I think we're on the same page. I'm just wanting to show a bit of understanding - it fits better with my own outlook on life

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

It appears to me that SBF had a very difficult choice to make and he made it. We don't know what all the issues are. I say just let it rest.

There are worse things that can happen.

• adamah
    adamah

Steve said-

Adam, I think we're on the same page. I'm just wanting to show a bit of understanding - it fits better with my own outlook on life.

And more power to you, since that is your call to make, as you are free to do so (as I am) since we're NOT under the influence of the WT (WTUI?).

My point was about not being so quick to let JWs off the hook individually, while claiming that the JWs are harmful and deadly (eg the variable harm inflicted by shunning, or the lives lost due to refusal of blood). It goes back to my BROADER point of recognizing that the harm that results from going along with mob mentality is self-inflicted, which fits in needing to "own up" to the choices we each make in our lives, and not try to point fingers at everyone else, or simply create a scapegoat.

DOFTL said-

It appears to me that SBF had a very difficult choice to make and he made it. We don't know what all the issues are. I say just let it rest. There are worse things that can happen.

True, and there are certainly worse fates than this. But since it was done in public manner, people should be allowed to express their feelings, thoughts, and say thanks for his contributions (people are allowed to do that here)....

Adam

• caliber
    caliber

I wish you all well in the future and the decisions you make. ~~~SBF

His final comments show a measure of respect & grace whatever we feel,

we do well address our comments in the same manner

If there is a sense of anger , I feel we should address our own inner turmoil

.....why do we lack inner peace ?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I cant get around the fact that this guy has been using this forum for that many years and has now decided to

go back to stupid mental regulation and indoctrination by a maligning and dangerous religious cult.

Sickly disturbing to say the least.

Maybe his wife has mentioned divorce or separation and he doesn't want to personaly deal with that ?

Sad and unfortunate nevertheless.

• Gopher
    Gopher

We will never know for sure what caused this, unless SBF comes back in the future and tells us.

I just have this feeling that he didn't really want to go back, and that I am glad I am not in his shoes.

One thing I saw in his posts is that he wanted reasonable dialogue about the JW's, not just wild accusation. On that point (if that's what he intended) I definitely agreed with him.

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

I've had two sleepless nights since reading this post from Slimboyfat. He is more intelligent and well read than I'll ever be. I've seen how he's dissected and considered every apostate argument over the years. After all this if he's come to the conclusion to return, I think he must be right. I trust his powers of observation and reasoning ability more than my own. I'm seriously considering returning now myself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit