Donating to charities discouraged by the WT

by lambsbottom 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

United Way is a secular organization that has a few organizations with a religious background. You can pick and choose the agencies you donate to individually and by blocks of related agencies.

The WTS could be designated one of those agencies so that jws can donate to it.

Here is one website that has done so: search under Watchtower

http://www.unitedwaysb.org/

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/60988/1/Watchtower-0531-With-United-Ways

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/Search?cx=partner-pub-4963413421914369%3Ag5in7s-4bz3&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=watchtower+united+way&siteurl=www.jehovahs-witness.net%2FSearch&ref=www.jehovahs-witness.net%2Fwatchtower%2Fbeliefs%2F265501%2F1%2FDonating-to-charities-discouraged-by-the-WT&ss=4571j1353477j21

• Legacy
    Legacy

HI,

You won't find it anywhere, remember they are discreet...What they don't realize that if some of these charites were not around, folks would really be up the creek without a paddle...because they only help one another & they do that begrudgingly as well...I've heard some say, well you don't know if witnesses are doing this or that, you know we don't publicize what we do...I want to say I know, because you aren't doing anything but just running around killing trees...think if there were no Red Cross, Salvation Army, ASPCA & so on...

It is true many of the charities don't do what they are supposed to do with the donations, but doesn't the society to the samething...they build on big land small KH's, hold on to them, the actual disguise it the KH, with the reality being, the hall is just there to hold the land until they ready to sell it... So the congregation is baby sitting the land for the society until it's time to sell.

So, you will never find anywhere, where they help, no need to dig to find where they said it..just ask any witness, they'll say, yes, charities do good but are they about God's kingdom ? A no brainer...& if you ask a witness they well say, they were helping but they were discreet, don't let them get away with that, ask for proof...ask where were they when Katrina hit, helping their own, Sandy, helping their own...in NYC, there has been a missing boy for over 2 weeks, are any of them out there volunteering to help find him...NO..I am a witness, but not proud..

Legacy

• Laika
    Laika

Ignore the occasional article saying good things about charity, what is the culture like? If an active JW told another he regularly volunteers at a soup kitchen most JWs would criticise him/her for wasting time that would be better spent on field service.

• Legacy
    Legacy

@outsmarthesystem,

First of all how fortunate for charities & religions that there are places like Africa where folks don't have nothing, where else could these organizations get their Kudo's...as Jesus said, the poor will always be with us. We have the poor so the rich could look good to the public, so they can get a pat on the back & have folks say, how nice that you are supportive of this or that...yet, when folks give they get to write it off, how giving it that really. So you give only if you get back...too much for my small brain...

I remember once I heard a story of some nuns going to Africa, they were going where the need is greater (remember those words..LOL)..anyway, they came with some bibles, well don't you know they ran those nuns right out of Africa...thought I would share this...priceless...

When the missionaries arrived, the Africans had the
    land and the missionaries had the Bible. They taught us to pray with our eyes
    closed. When we opened them, they had the land and we had the Bible." Jomo
    Kenyatta

'Nuf said,

Legacy

• blondie
    blondie

jws go to food banks and soup kitchens. It's like they won't donate blood but will accept products made out of donated blood. They will accept birthday/Christmas presents from non-jw friends and family, but will not give presents.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

There is a general sentiment among Witnesses to NOT donate money or time to charities.

They would prefer any donations go to WT or the local congregation

And time be spent in the field service.

I give many hours each month to community and zero in FS.

It's great.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I find the comments about how charities waste money, particularly interesting. I would love to see the financial report of the WTS. How many millions of dollars are they spending, just to keep the child abuse scandals out of the public eye? How much money are the GB members putting into their private bank accounts? Where do they publish an annual report of what they do with all the donations they take in each year?

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

"First of all how fortunate for charities & religions that there are places like Africa where folks don't have nothing, where else could these organizations get their Kudo's"

First and foremost, congratulations on the double negative. Secondly, could you have this any more ass backwards? Charities are created BECAUSE a problem has manifested itself......with the organization, funds, time and resources of the ones that volunteer for the charity, used to combat that problem. Not the other way around. By your logic....the American Cancer Society created itself.....hoping for cancer to someday make it on to the scene so they would have something to raise money to fight against.

"We have the poor so the rich could look good to the public so they can get a pat on the back & have folks say, how nice that you are supportive of this or that...yet, when folks give they get to write it off, how giving it that really. "

No. We have the poor because some people are born into dire economic and social conditions. Some people are unfortunate enough to live in underdeveloped areas. Some people simply do not make a fair wage or cannot find meaningful work. Could you be any more disrespectful to those that CAN and DO donate of their money, time and resources to help those that are less fortunate? And could you be any more calloused towards those that need the help? How dare you judge those that give. I donate money, time and resources to many different non-profits. Never once have I done so out of selfishness. In many cases......places like soup kitchens and homeless shelters are in need of physical help.......not necessarily monetary help. How can you accuse me of "giving only if I get back", when time is one directional? How giving is it really? Let me put it this way. In the long run....motive does not matter so long as people are being helped. By your logic it seems as though you believe that not helping any others in any way is a better alternative so as to not be accused of doing it for a tax write off. That's the spirit!

• Legacy
    Legacy

@outsmartthesystem,

You got me all wrong...what I'm saying is...I know exactly about these charities but I'm talking about the religious community. I believe in helping if I can. But many countries don't even help their own. I'm a baby boomer & I have seen so many commercials re: The poor in all countries. We even have poor here right in the US of A. I agree with soup kitchens, clothes drives, to cut to the chase, I believe in all help..what I was commenting on is why The WT does not donate to charities..most of my comment was being flipant. The cancer society, red cross..all of them help...It's just that I've been alive for a long time & still see problems....After all this time why are folks in Africa or other poor countries, still poor...where is the $$$ really going...I have been to charity gala's the $$ the spend to give the gala, cost just as much to have food shipped. Again, you got me all wrong...my Mom always ask me if I give the hall, I say sure, she says don't forget to write it off...I never do..it's a donation, it's a gift. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but if I give, I choose not to get it back.

Again, you have me all wrong...I wear my heart on my sleeves...I don't see me as calloused, but seeing things as they really are. I'm sorry if you feel I don't believe in charity, but I do...I don't agree with the WT, who don't believe in charity yet, still have their hands out...

Be Well,

Legacy

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Legacy - please accept my apology for my misinterpretation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit