Donating to charities discouraged by the WT

by lambsbottom 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

hi everyone,

im trying to find articles from the wt and awake that show when the writers are discouraging charity work or giving. from any books would be good also.

• emeth
    emeth

as a matter a fact they dont discourage it..

see for example

the article from Awake 6/8 1993 The Bible’s Viewpoint
    Charitable Contributions—A Christian Obligation?

or

the article from the watchtower 6/1 2003

Giving That Pleases God

• lambsbottom
    lambsbottom

Really? I thought its always been seen as futile to give anything to a nonjw charity.

• emeth
    emeth

they have a balanced approach .. the following is taken from awake article

*** g93 6/8 pp. 26-27 Charitable Contributions—A Christian Obligation? ***

Giving—Yes and No

To be sure, the Bible’s counsel is to be kind and generous toward those in need. From ancient times God’s people have been encouraged to “be liberal, ready to share.” (1 Timothy 6:18; Deuteronomy 15:7, 10, 11) In fact, Christians are told at 1 John 3:17: “Whoever has this world’s means for supporting life and beholds his brother having need and yet shuts the door of his tender compassions upon him, in what way does the love of God remain in him?”

Give, yes; but beware! We are regularly bombarded by charities, religions, and annual community-service campaigns; most make compelling appeals. However, in evaluating them it is good to remember the Bible proverb: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” (Proverbs 14:15) In other words, beware of accepting the claims or promises of charities at face value. How is the collected money really used? Are the organizations funded those that a Christian should support? Are their activities political, nationalistic, or connected with false religion? Is the avowed purpose practical and not in conflict with Scriptural principles?

Some charities are able to do much good for people in need. When affected by natural disasters or catastrophic illness, many times Christians themselves have received benefits from such charities. Other charities, though, have high administrative costs or high fund-raising costs, with the result that only a small portion of the money collected is actually used for the advertised purpose. For example, a recent survey of 117 of the United States’ largest nonprofit organizations, including charities, found that more than a quarter of them pay their top executives a yearly salary of $200,000 or more. Audits often reveal expenditures for luxury items and the financing of an opulent life-style. Regardless of the name of the charity, it would take a long stretch of the imagination to believe that contributing to such schemes would fulfill the Bible’s command to help those in need.
    A Balanced View

Though no one wants to waste his money—or worse, see it used to line the pockets of self-serving men—there is also the need to guard against becoming cynical in the matter of giving. Do not use the inefficiency or even the dishonesty of some “charities” as an excuse to look down on needy ones or to squelch feelings of compassion. Proverbs 3:27, 28 counsels: “Do not hold back good from those to whom it is owing, when it happens to be in the power of your hand to do it. Do not say to your fellowman: ‘Go, and come back and tomorrow I shall give,’ when there is something with you.” (Compare 1 John 3:18.) Do not assume that all organized charities are either wasteful or fraudulent. Examine the facts, then make a personal decision whether to give or not.

Many prefer to help by personal, direct gifts to needy individuals and families. Thus, the givers are sure of the practical, immediate use to which their contributions can be put. This also provides opportunity to upbuild and express kindness in words as well as deeds. Even if you do not have much to give materially, you can still have the joy of giving. Next time you hear of a genuine need for such help, give what you can in the spirit of 2 Corinthians 8:12: “If the readiness is there first, it is especially acceptable according to what a person has, not according to what a person does not have.”

Have in mind, too, that sometimes what may do the most good is something other than money. Jesus told his followers to “go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’ . . . You received free, give free.” (Matthew 10:7, 8) Similarly today, Christians realize that the time, energy, and money spent in supporting Kingdom witnessing—which improves lives and gives hope—is charitable giving of the best kind.
    The Bible’s view, then, is to be kind, generous, and practical. It reminds us that material help is often needed, and the need should not be ignored. At the same time do not feel obligated to give to any and all who may solicit your money. Consider how best to use the money you have so as to please God and to give the greatest practical help to your own family and to your fellowman. (1 Timothy 5:8; James 2:15, 16) Imitate Jesus in being observant of and responsive to the needs of others—spiritually and materially. In the words of Hebrews 13:16: “Do not forget the doing of good and the sharing of things with others, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.”

Now i log out. Have a nice evening

• wasblind
    wasblind

They have a balanced approach .. the following is taken from Awake article ***g93 6/8 pp. 26-27_____emeth

They do not have a balanced approach. That article is written to hoodwink and bamboozle the public

Members of this religion are told to " Wait on the Kingdom " better days are always " in the future "

If Someone says_____

'why don't you people get involved in doing things to help make the world ( The community ) A better place to live?

You might reply: " Many people have never inquired to find out what Jehovah's Witnesses are actually doing about community affairs."

Then perhaps add: " Some do it by establishing institutions, hospitals, homes for the elderly, rehabilitation, centers for drug addicts, and so forth. Others may volunteer to go right to the homes of people and offer appropriate help as they are able. Thats what Jehovah's Witnesses do. we observed that there is something that can transform a person entire outlook on life, and that is knowledge of what the Bible shows to be the real purpose of life and what the future holds."_____Reasoning from the Scriptures book pages 207-208

For those in need of institutions, hospitals, homes, and so forth........

Bump your gums 'til the Kingdom come in a free Bible study

donations accepted

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I asked my JW sister, about the parable of the sheep and goats. I noticed that the recent article left out the portion of Matthew where Jesus describes the sheep as the ones who fed the hungry and helped the poor. I asked her why the JWs didn't do that, if they are supposedly the "sheep."

Her reply: "That was just an example. What we do for people is much more valuable. A food drive is a great thing, but we give people a chance at eternal life. Our work is much more valuable."

I don't find this spelled out quite so clearly in the literature, but what I read in the magazine cited by emeth, shared examples of how they help JWs who are affected by natural disasters. They help their own first, which is not what I have found to be the case in other churches I've known. Most of the evidence of their lack of charity for fellow man, comes from anecdote and out of the mouths of JWs themselves.

My bible study conductor explained this to me also, while complaining that her coworker was trying to raise money to help rescue abused animals. She was just appalled that someone would waste their time and money on anything but the preaching work. She went on a little tirade about it, in fact... but again, anecdotal, with no scripture or literature referenced to give credibility to her opinion.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Faithfull witness I have heard the same thing. If you wanna help them give them a bible study E.g eternal life.

• jhine
    jhine

The bit in the article about money being wasted is interesting . I had a discussion with 2 JWs the other day about the poor and giving to charities which help them . The answer was that the hope that they ( the JWs ) had for the future meant that the poor would not be around forever ! I pointed out that Jesus said that while there were poor people on the Earth we should feed and clothe them . Then I got this almost lecture about how charities waste money given to them and you could not be sure that money given would get to where it was supposed to go .

The ladies seem to think that this was total justification for not trying to help the needy in this world . So it seems that the org is managing to give the appearance of encouraging charitable giving while using subtle messaging to actually discourage it among the flock . Very clever .

• Bangalore
  • outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Yep. Remember all.........children in Africa that are dying from malaria and starvation don't need mosquito nets or food. What they need is a Watchtower magazine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit