Favorite JW URBAN LEGEND?

by Separation of Powers 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• tornapart
    tornapart

I heard about the 'Kenyan shooting' one. Apparently it was even seen on the BBC mid-day news. True, not true? Who knows?

The story goes that a mother and her children were there. They were lying on the floor and the children were told to be quiet, unfortuantely she also had a baby that she feared would make a noise. The whole time the baby stayed silent. They heard others being picked off and shot. Towards the end of the report there was someone singing. Supposedly it was recognised as a Kindom song.

• PlutoBugs
    PlutoBugs

I remember my grandmother talking about a town somewhere in the US that was all JWs, even the mayor and sheriff.

• DubNoMo
    DubNoMo

Back in the 70s when the Rhinestone Cowboy was riding high we received a letter from some JW friends who had attended the District Assembly in Houston, Texas. The sister, a true fan (fanatic) of Glen Campbell, wrote to tell us they had been told Glen Campbell was at the assembly and not only was he now a JW he was working for the friends -- on the garbage detail. She lamented that she hadn't been able to track him down.

(Epilog -- they were a nice family who had been sucked completely into the 1975 madness. He gave up his USPS job, they sold their house and became pioneers. When I last saw him about five years later he had gone back to work cleaning septic tanks for a living. Sadly, I don't think they ever realized how they had been scammed by The Borg.)

• Flg8ter
    Flg8ter

Millions now living WILL NEVER die!!! - 1918

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I heard of a story where a man broke into a house to steal things. Hearing the homeowner come home he hid under a bed. As he lay there, the woman came home and went to be, but first she read out loud from the bible. The third was so impressed he left without stealing anything by her bible. He approached her at an assembly (remember that term?), telling her that because of her he was getting baptized that day and he wanted to give her her bible back. I found out later this fable has been used by most other religions

I have always been fascinated by urban legends and why people are so ready to believe such far fetched things. I used to wonder why people didn't investigate before passing these things on, especially now that we have the internet, then I realized they want to believe these things, facts are irrelevant, they are getting a payoff for being gullible. The above story confirms that the they made the correct decision in their choice of religion because it is such a powerful and good thing. Confirmation bias, it just feels good.

Other urban legends make the listener feel superior, because they would not be so stupid as to do whatever it is. My MIL couldn't wait to tell my eight year old daughter that Smurfs were demonized. One of them got up and walked out of the Kingdom Hall, horrors! It happened to a friend of a friend, so it must be true! My daughter was hysterical (thanks grandma) and we had to toss the doll that night. I didn't believe it, but it was easier just to toss the thing. All the non Snuff buying parents could feel smug - they didn't buy it, well - they were blue, therefore suspicious, they were smart not yo but one. A few years ago, I ordered my daughter a Smurf key ring as a joke n Amazon. It took her a few minutes, but she figured out it was from me, a little apology for bringing her up in a cult.

Maybe we should all get Smurf shirts as a protest against the Watchtower. Wouldn't it be funny to wear one to a convention?

• integ
    integ

How about the story that John Denver was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and said something negative about the witnesses and Johnny stopped him and said people who work for him are witnesses and he "should leave immediately". The audience stoood up and clapped as John Denver left in shame.

Then another time Denver was on the show he was going to play a song so he picked up his guitar and started to play "Thank God I'm A Country Boy" but instead, inexplicably started strumming the opening chords of "Keep Your Eyes on the Prize". Frustrated, he threw down his guitar and stormed off the stage.

• integ
    integ

Another Smurf favorite is that during a Watchtower study the conductor called on the "little brother in the back" who turned out to be a visiting smurf. The mic holder handed him the mic and he said "f you" then threw the mic at the mic holder and went dancing..disco style out of the hall.

Then another time a little smurf pushed the brother giving the public talk off the podium, took over at the microphone and started speaking in tongues for a couple minutes then threw a bible clear across the hall and then walked down the middle aisle flipping everybody off and saying "f you" to everybody.

A couple brothers went after him..chasing him out of the hall while the little smurf bazterd laughed all the way out the door.

• erbie
    erbie

Yes, I've heard the river bank tale

Also the one about some government guy spying on witnesses at a convention and got struck by lightening or something.

They all begin somewhere and I'm certain there must be a WT machine churning all this stuff out.

It gets crazier!

I think they must have sent someone on the writing department on a creative writing course...

• erbie
    erbie

Oh, and did anyone else in the UK hear about David Jason getting baptized at Plymouth the other year?

Apparently not the actor David Jason but I had a hard job convincing active JW's that that was the case.

They just WANTED to believe.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

The one about the little 12 year old pioneer girl handing out dc invites who managed to get 30 ppl along to the dc was actually in the year book. Turned out to be not true.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit