List down all the changes in the new NWT Bible vs the old NWT that has signifance to the JW beliefs

by UBM101 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UBM101
    UBM101

I hope this thread can be a compilation of all the changes made. It could serves as a good reference for those who want to help the loved ones to wake up. Please list down here all your findings if you don't mind. I know I am not a good poster, but I think it would helpful (to me at least).

UBM101

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Are you not asking too much? There are far too many.

I have already found dozens of changes in just a few minutes.

Here is one:

Malachi 2:16, (Old Version):

"For he has hated a divorcing, Jehovah the God of Israel has said..."

(New Version) "For I hate divorce,” says Jehovah the God of Israel..."

The first words changed from third person to first person.

They have done away with the Hebrew perfect, and the Piel infinitive construct. Now they render similarly to other Bible versions.

Conclusion: The reader loses big time on the Hebrew, but gains readability. Which is better or worse?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I took a quick glance last night and saw tons of changes. Actually I wonder how many were necessary. As someone who memorized large sections of the NWT as a child I find a certain romance in the wording, even if I'm not particularly religious anymore. Many of the changes seemed superficial and unnecessary. But then again I'm not a Hebrew or Greek language expert so perhaps I'm missng something.

Isaac

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

For a start:

Adam no longer "came to be a living soul" [Gen 2:7]

Now

He "became a living person" [NNWT]

On the one hand, one may argue that the NNWT has "clarified" the meaning of "nephesh" by rendering it in various ways such as "soul" "life" "person" while in a contrary view it could also be argued that the NNWT is no long literal and consistent.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It's hard to know which changes are doctrinally significant until they start using them in the literature. For example adamah claims the new wording of 1 Cor 6:9 will be used to condemn oral sex. I very much doubt that, but only time will tell for sure.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I noticed they replaced "tenth parts" with "tithes" in Mal 3:10. Don't know if that is significant. "Tithes" already appeared elswhere in the old NWT anyway.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

What I notice at first is that the doctrine comes first... and the bible part comes later (page 43)

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

It's hard to know which changes are doctrinally significant until they start using them in the literature. For example adamah claims the new wording of 1 Cor 6:9 will be used to condemn oral sex. I very much doubt that, but only time will tell for sure.

This.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Matthew 24:45 has a very small change but it may actually be a big one:

They have changed the word "arriving" from the older version to the more vague term "coming". Since it is quite a keytext I wanted to post it here.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

Exodus 3:14 is also a fucked up translation...

The older version states this:

At this God said to Moses: “I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE .”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, ‘I SHALL PROVE TO BE has sent me to YOU .’”+

The revised version states this:

14 So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose to Become.”c And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become
    has sent me to you.’”d

The sentence means something totally different then before (at least in my book). Correct me if I am wrong!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit