List down all the changes in the new NWT Bible vs the old NWT that has signifance to the JW beliefs

by UBM101 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Ezequiel 18:4,

Old NWT: "The soul that is sinning -- it itself will die."

Revised Edition: "The soul who sins is the one who will die." [fnt: Or "person"]

Hebrew: "The soul the-one-sinning -- she she-will-die."

The participle showing continuous activity (the one sinning) is gone.

The "it" for "she" is gone.

The Hebrew emphasis (she - she will die) is gone.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am really cautious what Furuli makes of the new translation. It totally goes against what he said was the NWT's chief merit: its peculiar handling of verbs.

• Aurelius
    Aurelius

John 1:14

NWT - So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of undeserved kindness and truth.

RNWT - So the Word became flesh and resided among us, and we had a view of his glory, a glory such as belongs to an only-begotten son from a father; and he was full of divine favor and truth.

----------------

Interesting when read with the footnote associated with 'the Word was a god'* in John 1:1 *Or “was divine.”

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Matthew 24:45 has a very small change but it may actually be a big one: They have changed the word "arriving" from the older version to the more vague term "coming". Since it is quite a keytext I wanted to post it here.

How does Matt 25:30,31 compare to this? I believe they have changed it in 24:45 from "arriving" to "coming" to obfuscate the fact that 25:30 also has "arrives".

Either way, Jesus can't be "present" until he has first arrived or come, not the other way around!!!

• DS211
    DS211

Good o servation yadda..

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

This means everlasting life,i their coming to know you, the only true God,j and the one whom you sent, Jesus Christ. <--- revised version

This means everlasting life, + their taking in knowledge + of you, * the only true God, + and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ. <--- old version

--------

Genesis 6:3

Then Jehovah said: “My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely,j because he is only flesh. Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years.” <--- revised version

After that Jehovah said: “My spirit + shall not act toward man indefinitely + in that he * is also flesh. + Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years.” + <--- old version

This text changes the meaning in my book... especially changing "also" into "only"

• Terry
    Terry

I find the language awkward with no feeling for cadence, poetry or beauty.

The straddling of literalism and rendering seems always to miss any opportunity for aesthetic.

Tell me what they thought they were achieving when they changed THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD I SHALL NOT WANT....

which contains a lovely rhythmic quality, into JEHOVAH IS MY SHEPHERD I SHALL LACK NOTHING.....?

This inherent absence of any sense of the numinous really stands out as well.

For all its faults the King James Bible is inspiring, comforting and uplifting while the NWT reads like assemly instructions for a backyard swing set.

• Terry
    Terry

Either way, Jesus can't be "present" until he has first arrived or come, not the other way around!!!

It plagues me that JW theology so abuses the essential communication itself. The Watch Tower has Jesus turning his head slightly, as it were, and

suddenly giving attention to the earth rather than standing up and walking down the heavenly staircase and actually standing somewhere on the planet.

If you don't get up off your butt and go someplace you are neither present there nor can you arrive there.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am really curious what Furuli thinks about the new version. Blasted iPad.

• cedars
    cedars

It's perhaps not the changes but the things they're sticking to that are most significant!

http://jwsurvey.org/cedars-blog/the-revised-new-world-translation-will-it-stand-the-test-of-time

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit