List down all the changes in the new NWT Bible vs the old NWT that has signifance to the JW beliefs

by UBM101 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

The issue of being Anointed

RNWT / Psalms 23

Jehovah is my Shepherd.
    I will lack nothing.2 In grassy pastures he makes me lie down; he leads me to well-watered
    resting-places.
    3 He refreshes me. He leads me in the paths of righteousness for the sake of his name.
    4 Though I walk in the valley of deep shadow, I fear no harm, For you are with me; Your rod and your staff
    reassure me.
    5 You prepare a table for me before my enemies. You refresh my head with oil; My cup is well-filled.

NWT [1984] Psalms 23

You arrange before me a table in front of those showing hostility to me. With oil you have greased my head; My cup is well filled.

This seems to be an obvious recognition of the terrible translation in the 1984 edition in its use of the word "Greased". This was an obvious attempt to remove the fact that David was an ANOINTED one of Jehovah. Yet another example of the Watchtower to translate the bible according to thier presupposed doctrinal assertions. They simply cannot admit that Old Testament individuals were annointed so they alltogether obfuscate the fact that to have our head "greased" or "refreshed" is to be a symbol of anointing. Here is the ESV Translation [which is a literal translation of the bible]

Psalms 23 ESV

5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

• minimus
    minimus

good thread! keep it up!

• Kaltas1
    Kaltas1

To add to Saved_Jw's point.

the hebrew word used in reference to david is a form of messiah in other locations. Also in the septuagint versions the word christos is used in reference to david in those same locations. This is even espressed in the footnotes of reference bible at those locations. but they fail to point out that they are literally variations of the same word that is later used to describe jesus.

I can't immediately recall but jerome's vulgate may also use christ in these locations. I'm too lazy to check at the moment but it would be easy to check just google it in latin and navigate to it. latin of course uses romanized letters so its easy to see even if you can't read latin.

• DS211
    DS211

How about this:

Reference Bible 14If YOU ask anything in my name, I will do it.

Kingdom Interlinear 14ἐάν if ever τιanything αἰτήσητέ YOU should ask μεmein τῷthe ὀνόματίname μουof me τοῦτοthis ποιήσω.I shall do.

Byington 14If you ask me anything in my name I will do it.

American Standard Version 14If ye shall ask anything in my name, that will I dothis is an obvious reference that anything we ask Jesus HE will do it. Of course that doesnt fit the doctrine does it? Hmmm

Or how about this: rev NWT says in col 1:16 because by means of him all other things were created in the heavens and on the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All other things have been created through him

INTERLINEAR: 16ὅτιbecause ἐνin αὐτῷhim ἐκτίσθηit was created τὰthe πάνταall (things) ἐνin τοῖςthe οὐρανοῖςheavens καὶand ἐπὶupon τῆςthe γῆς,earth, τὰthe (things) ὁρατὰvisible καὶand τὰthe (things) ἀόρατα,invisible, εἴτεwhether θρόνοιthrones εἴτεor κυριότητεςlordships εἴτεor ἀρχαὶgovernments εἴτεor ἐξουσίαι·authorities; τὰthe πάνταall (things) δι’through αὐτοῦhim καὶand εἰςinto αὐτὸνhim ἔκτισται·it has been created;

sorry its confusing the way it pastes here but as you can seethe word "other" does not apear. Now there are greek words to represent "other"..thegreek word is "al'los". that word is not found in this scripture...AND the rev NWT has ridden itself of "other" altogether in John 1:3-5 or wh tever...blatant addition to change thr text.

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Saved_JW said (Underline added):

"The issue of being Anointed

RNWT / Psalms 23

5 You prepare a table for me before my enemies. You refresh my head with oil; My cup is well-filled.

NWT [1984] Psalms 23

You arrange before me a table in front of those showing hostility to me. With oil you have greased my head; My cup is well filled.

This seems to be an obvious recognition of the terrible translation in the 1984 edition in its use of the word "Greased". This was an obvious attempt to remove the fact that David was an ANOINTED one of Jehovah. Yet another example of the Watchtower to translate the bible according to thier presupposed doctrinal assertions. They simply cannot admit that Old Testament individuals were annointed so they alltogether obfuscate the fact that to have our head "greased" or "refreshed" is to be a symbol of anointing. Here is the ESV Translation [which is a literal translation of the bible]

Psalms 23 ESV

5 You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies;
    you anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows."

Another opinion from a scholar:

The NET Bible: “The verb [ dashan ] is often translated ‘anoint,’ but this is misleading, for it might suggest a symbolic act of initiation into royal status.”

• UBM101
    UBM101

I noticed they replaced "tenth parts" with "tithes" in Mal 3:10. Don't know if that is significant. "Tithes" already appeared elswhere in the old NWT anyway.

Probably they will very soon preach & impose tithing - the practice by the Christendom that they had criticized all this while. My husband took pride saying that the JW never collect tithes. Duh!

Are you not asking too much? There are far too many.

Just anything that any of you discovered. It would be a good reference for all here. Thanks to everyone who contributed, keep it up!

• mzmmom
    mzmmom

marking

• rawe
    rawe

Hi Everyone,

• Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. (NWT 1984)
    • Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them. (NWT 2013)
    • Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (NIV)
    • Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (KJV)

Subtle change here, kingdom gets a capital K. Compared to others "Happy" (from "hap" or "lucky" ;-) ) instead of "Blessed" and the odd phrase of "conscious of their spiritual need" instead of the more straightforward "poor in spirit" remains.

Cheers,

-Randy

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

The biggest changes are the exclusion of the texts after Mark 16:8 and John 7:53–8:11 they state on page 1729:

Regarding the long conclusion for Mark 16 (verses 9-20),
    the short conclusion for Mark 16, and the wording found at
    John 7:53–8:11, it is evident that none of these verses were included
    in the original manuscripts. Therefore, those spurious
    texts have not been included in this revision.

Some other wording has been adjusted to incorporate what
    scholars generally accept as the most authentic reflection of the
    original writings. For instance, according to some manuscripts,
    Matthew 7:13 reads: “Go in through the narrow gate because
    broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading offinto destruction.”
    In previous editions of the New World Translation, “is
    the gate” was not included in the text. However, further study of
    the manuscript evidence led to the conclusion that “is the gate”
    was in the original text. So it was included in this present edition.
    There are a number of similar refinements. However, these
    adjustments are minor, and none of them change the basic message
    of God’s Word.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The version totally eliminates Fred Fran's awkward auxiliary verb "proceeded". As in:

And God proceeded to say: “Let light come to be.” Then there came to be light.

Changed to:

And God said: “Let there be light.” Then there was light.

Franz used this verb 1211 times. It only appears twice in the new version, in Acts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit