The NWT is almost readable now (some random thoughts)

by slimboyfat 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I guess there will be lots of interesting little changes, but perhaps the most significant change in the new version of the NWT is overall readability. There were many, many passages of the old NWT that were virtually incomprehensible unless you had read some Watchtower commentary explaining what on earth they were trying to say. Take 1 Cor 7:36 in the old NWT for example:

But if anyone thinks he is behaving improperly toward his virginity, if that is past the bloom of youth, and this is the way it should take place, let him do what he wants; he does not sin. Let them marry.

What does that even mean?

But if anyone thinks he is behaving improperly by remaining unmarried, and if he is past the bloom of youth, then this is what should take place: Let him do what he wants; he does not sin. Let them marry.

Much better. They could have replaced "bloom of youth" while they were at it, but at least it's now in some recognisable form of English. This may be a particular verse that some on the Governing Body were keen to make crystal clear in their own interest for obvious reasons.

However they seem to have been more timid when it comes to improving the language of doctrinally sensitive passages. 1 Cor 15:29 for example remains pretty obscure:

Otherwise, what will they do who are being baptized for the purpose of being dead ones?

Say what? Come again?

Polishing the language in the Song of Solomon brings some interesting thoughts to the fore, as 2:3 more clearly becomes a reference to oral sex. Whereas the meaing might get lost in the overly wordy older version:

His shade I have passionately desired, and there I have sat down, and his fruit has been sweet to my palate.

The new version is straight to the point:

I passionately desire to sit in his shade,

And his fruit is sweet to my taste.

I doubt that alteration marks an official shift on matter however, the effect was probably unintentional. The verse format also helps to make the meaning much clearer in this book as a whole. The biggest improvements seem to be in the Old Testament generally, especially in Proverbs, Psalms and the Prophets, whereas many awkward phrases remain untouched in the New Testament. Was that because they felt more at libertly to improve the text of passages that are less doctrinally important and less frequently scrutinised?

Some verses will take some getting used to, even if they are slight improvements, Heb 10:24:

And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you behold see the day drawing near.

And in the same chapter another obscure verse 35:

Do not, therefore, throw away your freeness of speech, which has a great reward to be paid it.

Is made clearer:

Therefore, do not throw away your boldness, which will be richly rewarded.

The infamous phrase, "mentally diseased" is removed from 1 Tim 6:4 and replaced with "obsessed", so I guess they won't run into trouble over that particular term any more.

I wonder if more JWs will now actually read their Bibles as the version is now almost readable.

• zound
    zound

Thanks for the notes.

The change in 1 Corinthians was no doubt suggested by Brother Jackson.

"Obsessed apostates" doesn't quite have the same hateful ring to it.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Sure they will and the WTS. will create more coercive bullshit doctrines out of it, to attract the public to it just like they have in the past ..... why ?

Because its a money creating (religious) publishing house. Simple

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The more readable, the less accurate. As soon as a translation starts to present what the verse is supposed to mean, it starts adding its own interpretation. One thing that I liked about the old NWT was how it used Sheol, etc, rather than translate those words. Now that they are choosing what terms to include, based on Watchtower interpretation, it is more likely to hide to original meaning.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Furuli would agree with you jwfacts, but I'm afraid I don't agree. Being overly literal to the point of being incomprehensible is not "accurate", it's simply a barrier to understanding, not a virtue. Narkissos had the neat description New World overTranslation to describe the main problem with the old NWT. That has now largely been fixed.

Incidentally it is possible to provide a translation that is both literal and readable: the New American Standard Bible is the best example I reckon. But the NWT failed miserably.

• Laika
    Laika

I notice Jesus still has a seizure, unfortunately.

When I got bored during meetings and assemblies, which was common, I often attempted to read through the bible for entertainment, but I never got very far because it was so painful to read I found I was better off daydreaming. Although I'd already had doubts it was reading the bible properly for the first time, which I had to do in another translation, that confirmed to me it wasn't the truth.

I wonder if I'd have discovered this sooner with a better NWT.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The Bible lost a lot of its meaning when it was translated out of its original languages, anyway; and now 2,000 years later nobody knows what the f**k it was all about. Making it simpler to read will just convince more mindless peons that they actually do understand it, and that it was written for them- but the Bible is not a book to be put down lightly- it should be thrown with full force!

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Slimboyfat:

Thank you for posting this. I usually appreciate your comments.

In regards to the NWT, some on this board seem to get carried away by WT hatred and lose balance. They have difficulty seeing any good from the WT translator's efforts, while at the same time, have a tendency to glorify everyone else's translation work.

I am looking forward to review the version personally. I often find myself agreeing with many of your comments. Thanks again!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Another observation:

The rather idiosyncratic Watchtower useage of word "publish" and "publishing" has been removed entirely from the new version. Whereas as Acts 17:3 once read:

explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and [saying]: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am publishing to YOU.”

It now reads:

explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, saying: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you.”

"Publish" has been replaced in Jeremiah 4:3, 4:16, 5:20, 31:7, 46:14, 50:2, Amos 3:9, 4:5, Matthew 13:35 and Acts 26:23, and "publishing" has been replaced in Isaiah 52:7, Jeremiah 4:15, Nahum 1:15, Acts 13:5, 16:17, 21, 17:3, 23.

No instance of "publish" or "publishing" remains in the new NWT, generally being replaced by "declare" or "proclaim". Will they stop referring to active Witnesses as publishers now? Maybe they will use "proclaimers" instead as the standard word for active Witnesses, as it is already used sometimes. Will be amusing for Scottish Witnesses if they do.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Will Dubbies have to wear the big black framed spectacles, if they are going to be Proclaimers ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit