The NWT is almost readable now (some random thoughts)

by slimboyfat 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

There are still some brackets.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The reason why I come to think the translators for the WTS Bible are no more than Janitors and window washers

is because when you compare what the WTS say about blood in the Reasoning book and then in the

2006 August Awake " Blood: Why so Valuable " . Scholars would not have missed things not qouted in the Bible

that less educated men would have

" As for the various fractions derived from those( blood) components and producst that contain such fractions, the Bible does not coment on these."______2006 August Awake pages 11-12

• stapler99
    stapler99

Psalm 90:10

Old translation

In themselves the days of our years are seventy years;+ And if because of special mightiness they are eighty years,+ Yet their insistence is on trouble and hurtful things;+ For it must quickly pass by, and away we fly.+

New translation

The span of our life is 70 years,
    Or 80 if one is especially strong.
    But they are filled with trouble and sorrow;
    They quickly pass by, and away we fly.

"Because of special mightiness" is given as an alternative in a footnote.

• adamah
    adamah

SBF said-

Being overly literal to the point of being incomprehensible is not "accurate", it's simply a barrier to understanding, not a virtue. Narkissos had the neat description New World overTranslation to describe the main problem with the old NWT. That has now largely been fixed.

I disagree: greater precision doesn't imply greater accuracy; in fact, striving for greater precision can often hurt accuracy.

Just out of curiosity: do you understand the difference between the definitions of the words 'accuracy and 'precision'?

Adam

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

adamah I know that 1Cor 6:9 has nothing to do with oral sex, if that's precise enough.

• adamah
    adamah

Huh? Care to explain?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

On another thread you offered a rather strange interpretation of the wording of 1 Cor 6:9 that appears inaccurate to me, to be precise. So I'm not in a mood to be lectured. The verse has nothing to do with oral sex, neither in the original, nor plausibly in the new NWT wording of the text.

• bildad
    bildad

I agree Slim. If you just pick it up and read, it definitely "flows" much better. The footnotes allow for the "literal" translation where needed.

The New Living Translation struggled with this and the newer version was a big improvement ...in my lowly opinion.

• 5go
    5go

Why do I get the feeling JWs might actaully read it.

• adamah
    adamah

SBF said-

On another thread you offered a rather strange interpretation of the wording of 1 Cor 6:9 that appears rather inaccurate to be precise, so I'm not in a mood to be lectured. The verse has nothing to do with oral sex, neither in the original, nor plausibly in the new NWT wording of the text.

Uh, you DO realize you ARE in a high-control cult, where your interpretation of the Bible has absolutely NOTHING to do with:

1) what the "original meaning" of the Greek was?

2) what YOU want it to be?

Rather, it COMPLETELY depends on whatever the GB TELLS YOU what it means...

Hey, if you want to conduct independent research and try to figure out what the original Greek means, then suit yourself, but you'd better start your OWN religion since that means you don't really get the concept of what it means to be IN a cult: that kind of stuff is not YOUR job, as a member, but THEIRS. They call the shots, NOT you.

I'm starting a new thread on the sayonara to BJs even within the confines of marriage, since it deserves a new thread....

Adam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit