Any fitness gurus out there

by Leander 71 Replies latest jw friends

• dubla
    dubla

naeb-

good points, and thanks for the clarification. i agree 100% that the first step is and always should be getting your eating habits corrected. you can lift weights religiously and gain nothing without the proper nutrition. you can run 5 miles a day and lose zero fat if youre constantly feeding your body excess carbs and fat.

cardio is not the end all be all number one answer to losing fat. do i think it has a place in a proper total fitness plan? absolutely. do i believe you cannot lose fat without cardio? no, and i think that idea is absolutely ridiculous. you can indeed lose fat by simply eating right and gaining muscle. will cardio speed up the fat loss portion of your results? without a doubt.

also, i do not believe anyone should starve their body "for an hour or more" after cardio.....i always slam a protein shake immediately following.

DIET DIET DIET! (and by that I don't mean "diet" the way it's generally thought of) what I mean is having a healthy, sensible way of ALWAYS eating, not just for a month.
    sound advice....my thoughts exactly.

aa

• neyank
    neyank

Naeblis has made some good points.
    Muscle does help to burn fat.

You should eat, not a full 5 course meal, but eat enough to give yourself fuel to workout about 1hr. before and replenish your fuel within 1 hr. after working out.

Your body will continue to burn off calories thruout the day if you make working out a habit.

One of the most important rules with working out is don't overdue it.
    Especially if you're new at it.

Everyone has their own favorite type of workout.
    Just remember, you're not competing with anyone but yourself.

A good work out for beginers is to mix some cardio with weight training.

Weights one day and cardio the next.
    Slowly but surely the working out will pay off.

neyank

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

okay, question, what's a good body fat perentage for a chick? last time i was checked (about 5 years ago) i was at 17%. my weight hasn't changed since then but i started exercising more. i could probably look this up but i'm feeling lazy today :P and i have no desire to lose any weight i just want to tone up so should i skip the jumping rope and just stick to lifting weights, pushups, squats and lunges??

swimsuit weather is just around the corner! aghhH!

oh and i eat like crap but i've never had any problem with weight, weighed the same since i was 15....in fact i have problems with dropping weight too easily.

okay just babbling here now but i'd like to know what % body fat is good for a chick. thanks in advance :)

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto

the important thing to remember is if you
    ever reach 19% body fat as a male ....GET HELP Quick!!

• dubla
    dubla

plh-

again, there are different schools of thought......but in general, experts say that for a woman, 14%-20% is considered low, so i think youre probably doing good in that department. anything below 14% would be extremely low, and anything above 30% would be considered extremely high.

aa

• LDH
    LDH

dubla--agree about the protein shake thing.

Gals should probly chug soy protien, no? ( extra benefits for females) Also I use whey protein.

My kid enjoys a protein milkshake on mornings where there isn't a lot of time, btw.

Hi, NYT Mike. Why don't you conduct yourself like a gentleman so you can stay?

Lisa

• LDH
    LDH

PS Harm...

Careful going to low on the body fat. Women can have reproductive health issues if you go too low.

Lisa

• dubla
    dubla

nytel-

since you are either A:obsessed with me, or B:starved for attention (or both).....ill humor you with the response you keep begging for.

the important thing to remember is if you
    ever reach 19% body fat as a male ....GET HELP Quick!!
    actually, the expert consensus for the male "average" is 13%-17%, so if you reach 19% as a male, you are a bit above average. anything above 25% for males would be considered extremely high.

if youre above average as a male, and you are wanting a change, you can "GET HELP Quick!!", or you can simply decide to make the neccesary changes yourself, and stick to that decision. now, not everyone can do this on their own, so help may be neccesary for some......but for many, making the personal decision to change will be the most important step.

aa

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

lisa, i know :) but thanks for the reminder. like i said, i'm not trying to lose weight, just gain some muscle mass. and i eat enough cheese to keep wisconsin dairy farmers in business hehe. i don't count calories or fat grams but i try to avoid eating total crap like mcdonalds. last summer i dropped too much weight due to stress, friends said i looked like a herion addict, no thanks, don't wanna go that route! i just want to have a nice toned, hard body and i want to feel strong. i can't wait for summer to get here (this bullshit spring we are having is pissing me off!) so i can get out on my bike.

good point about soy for women. my friend who is a nutritionist told me that in japan, they don't have a word for menopause, because japanese ladies don't get it because of their diet! crazy eh?

love ya girl
    mony

• MikeMusto
    MikeMusto
    actually, the expert consensus for the male "average" is 13%-17%, so if you reach 19% as a male, you are a bit above average. anything above

why in the hell would anyone want to be "average"? is not the body a gift?

Why don't you conduct yourself like a gentleman so you can stay?
    do you mean no name calling and no personal attacks? one should always start with the mirror..right ldh??

[quote]

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit