Any fitness gurus out there

by Leander 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

8 pints of water daily will speed up your metabolism and burn off weight. (You have to keep running up and down stairs to have a pee)

Englishman.

• openminded
    openminded

I find it helpful to go to the grocery store on Sun eve and buy all my food for the week (its like an investment in my health and I actually save money) this helps keep me from eating fast food and junk. I eat 3 pcs of fruit per day and I snack on granola. I alternate fish and chicken every other day for supper and usually eat a chef salad for lunch. Oh an I always eat a small bowl of oatmeal in the a.m to get my metabolism going for the day.

Most impotant is excercise...5 days a week will get your best results.

om

• neyank
    neyank

Hi Leander,
    Check out Menshealth.com

Plenty of good advise.

neyank

Ps. How do you make a clickable link anyway?

• NYHALO
    NYHALO

aaaahh......i see that ldh is indeed obsessed with me.
    how very sad.

I also see a load of bad advice on this thread regarding
    working out. Dont get me wrong ..it will work..however it
    could take years..and if you want to look like a 5.3 on
    hotornot <cough>born2002...go ahead

advice such as working out on an empty stomach first
    thing in the morning is as lame as a grapefruit diet.

stop being a fat slob..get off your duff..lift only to 4-6
    reps an exercise..one body part a day..
    and eat properly...1.5 grams of protein for every lb you
    weigh..eat your carbs for proper nitrogen balance.
    and take your supplements.

you dont have to follow my advice...you can follow whats
    on this board..and you can look like a richard simmons disciple
    for the rest of your life..bobhahhaha

nytelcom
    the ldh is still obsessed with me class

and dont think i didnt see you use the word "SNAP" on another
    thread ldh...how very 80's of you..boohhahah

• LDH
    LDH
    aaaahh......i see that ldh is indeed obsessed with me.
    how very sad.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH I KNEW YOU WERE STILL HERE LURKING. LOSER.

And to think you went to all the trouble of registering a new name...you are tooooo easy.

Lisa

PS read
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=26534&site=3

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

openminded that was a great summary.

Leander- some other food hints and tips are to make it EASY for yourself to eat healthy...

-start your day with WATER!
    -definitely eat a good breakfast (egg whites and oatmeal and WATER!)
    -get rid of the junk food in your house. don't buy it.
    -replace with fruit & already cut veggies (keep it quick and ez to grab when the cravings hit)
    -buy ready-made salad in a bag, (big time saver & veggies not as likely to go bad in yer fridge).
    -lotsa water (get into the habit of carrying a water bottle with you everywhere)
    -raisins are a sweetfix and increase metabolism.
    -nuts are good too (better than greasy junk food anyway!)
    - don't eat 3hrs b4 bead

Eating 6 "meals" a day is a great tip.
    Combining good eating with weight training and cardio (and don't forget stretching/flexibility) really should whip ya back into shape pretty quick.

My most important tip is to "mix it up" a lot. Don't bore yourself with too mundane a workout schedule. If u find yourself getting bored, try new stuff that makes it fun to get off the couch and up and ACTIVE!!! Rockclimbing is a great workout. Kickboxing (or martial arts) is fun and challenging. Riding motorbikes works your stabilizer muscles and doesn't feel like work at all! Walk or cycle to work sometime. Dancing is great cardio (just don't drink too much alcohol if at a club...it packs on the sugar calories).

Joining a sports team in your workplace or community is great workout motivation and also a good way to meet new people (i haven't done this yet, but am thinking about it).

Try anything and everything you've always wanted to try.
    Remind yourself you are worth it. Keep your workout appointments with yourself. Use all those times that you woulda been sitting on your ass at a meeting to take good care of yourself now!!

My favorite tip of all: Have a cheat day. And i do mean CHEAT! Reward yourself for a week wellspent taking good care of yourself, virtually BINGE! Only once a week though okay and don't keep any cheat food around throughout the week. Only on cheat day!!!

Good luck Leander...Power to ya!
    I'm back on the exercise and eating 1/2 decent lifestyle too and feeling great!!! (I ran my first 10K this past sunday...super proud of meself!)

SPAZ

• dubla
    dubla

some good advice on this thread, and some ridiculous blubberings as well (nytel)........the entire post by c5 is great advise (and also sounds alot like "bfl"), and ive followed it with incredible results. after only 1-3 weeks of eating many small meals a day (each with equal carbs and protein), doing the aerobic exercise first thing in the morning before eating, and incorporating weight training, you will see marked results.......all your pants will be loose, and the muscle will jump onto your frame. it works, and it works fast, gauranteed. obviously its not quite as simple as that one sentence, but "body for life" by bill phillips is by far the best fitness advice ive ever taken, and ive never heard of anyone following it without seeing unbelievable results. i say advice, and not "diet" or "plan", because it really isnt a diet at all. spend the 20 bucks on the book, follow it to a tee, and youll be amazed.

advice such as working out on an empty stomach first
    thing in the morning is as lame as a grapefruit diet.
    whatever you do, disregard this quote.....its complete nonsense. doing your aerobic exercise in the morning before you eat will be the single biggest factor in your fat loss, and it will speed up the process faster than any other piece of advice youll get. it works, and it works incredibly well.

aa

• NYHALO
    NYHALO

i see dubby continues to be an ignorant fool.

You dont need to be a bodybuilder..but this advice is sound even
    if you want to look lik a Marcus Schenkengereklrje. You lose
    more calories keeping a muscle alive. Its that simple

Q: I was told that I should do my cardio in the morning on an empty stomach because it will enhance fat burning. You recommend having a protein shake when you first wake up. Will this effect how much fat burning my cardio provides?

A: First off, doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach is a certain invitation to muscle catabolism. Do not, I repeat, do not do cardio on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.

Where this piece of wrong advice ever got started I really have no idea. Wishful and very shallow thinking is all I can say. There is no research to validate this and physiologically it has many problems.

What most people don't realize is that there two distinct times when your insulin sensitivity is at its highest, right after your workout and right after you wake up.

What does this tell you? It tells you that your body will utilized nutrients most effectively at these two particular times during the day. With this understanding, you should address the nutrient intake equation at these times to take advantage of the "hyper-nutrient transport" effect this high level of insulin sensitivity creates.

Not eating anything and pounding out an aerobic session first thing in the morning is "suicide" to muscle growth. Take a look at Jeff Willet's eating schedule. As soon as he wakes up what does he have? a serving of Whey Isolate. He's still half asleep when he eats this, but he's taking full advantage of the "hyper-nutrient transport" effects that his body's natural increased level of insulin sensitivity provides at this time.

In doing this, it has helped Jeff add over 20 pounds of lean muscle in the past year while at the same time getting shredded and winning the most prestigious natural bodybuilding title in the United States. And never did he do cardio on an empty stomach and certainly not in the morning on an empty stomach.

What you have to understand is that cardio exercise is not specifically burning fat while you are performing it. Though you are burning calories, the real fat burning effects cardio training imparts are through increasing both your resting and total daily metabolic rate. Cardio training boosts your metabolism and increases your body's ability to burn fat 24-hours a day.

Don't think for a second that cardio training burns fat only during the time of the training. And don't sacrifice lean muscle growth and recuperation through misguided advice. Doing cardio after an 8-hour fast is a surefire way to lose muscle without burning fat.

• ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn

Leander-
    Most gyms will test your body fat for free (if you are a member). That might be a good thing to do, then when you do put on a pound or two, you can check to see if it's fat or muscle. Termite is right, muscle weighs more than fat, and if you start a workout routine, you may gain weight.

I work out in the morning for the same reason C5 does, but it also makes you feel pretty good for the rest of the day.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

NY is a boob most of the time but he's right about what he's talking about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit