Any fitness gurus out there

by Leander 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

Well since I've made up my mind to take control of my life by leaving the borg I also want to get myself back in shape. A few years ago I wass 6'1, about 205 (all muscle) with less than 10% bodyfat. Today lets just say that I need to get back into a serious workout regimine.

One of my biggest problems is eating healthy. I tend to gravitiate towards junk food/fast food, if I could get some good ideas on whats healthy I'd probably be back in shape in a couple of months.

So whats worked for you

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

eat less processed foods! think, au natural hehe

also workout! just eating healthy will not work alone. gotta get those muscles back into shape.

:) good luck!

ps. i'm no fitness guru but that just seems the easiest way to me.

• termite 35
    termite 35

I weight train and run a few miles each day-it dos'nt take long to get the 6 pack!It really depends on what type of body shape you're after.I weight train first to burn off sugars in muscles-then run to keep lean.You need to stretch before and after each activity- really important,don't bounce-just slow pull...
    If you want to bulk up(are you male or female?)you could weight train then do an alternative cardio vascular workout eg rowing or cycling.But if you want the muscles...eat loads of protein AFTER exercise.tRY EATING EGGS;LOADS OF FISH;SOYA MILK;LOADS OF VEG;SALAD;VEGEBURGER OR ORGANIC BEEF IN WHOLEMEAL BUN IS FINE;PASTA WITH SAUCES; MAKE YOUR OWN HEALTHY PIZZA;FRESH TOMS,CHEESE,TUNA,MUSHROOMSETC;sorry,did'nt mean to shout!Basically I've always tried to enjoy shopping or growing good food,it's worth it; you just need to condition yourself to do it; if you've got the mind to keep exercising you can do it with food too.Loads of fruit blah blah blah,you get the picture!Do you belong to a gym?They usually give you advice depending on what you're trying to achieve.It's a great self esteem booster;I love the high from running-Makes you feel so good!Let me know how you get on!!!-HAVE FUN!!

• Leander
    Leander

Actually I enjoy working out but lately it seems like when I workout I end up gaining weight. wierd

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

right now I"m sitting here and lifting dumbbells, 15 lbs each. not much but it keeps me in tone I do a regime of six types of lifts in a cycle at 15 times each. rest one minute do the cycle again, between each type i rest 15-20 seconds. can lift a grunch of weight in a few minutes. after that i do the same with 10lbs earch arm so space that out every other day and do a recombent bicycle twice daily too. I got a long way to go. But its enjoyable.

• LDH
    LDH

Termite is exactly correct in what he told you.

Burn off sugars first with weights. When your heart rate has been raised for 20 minutes you will burn fat.

THAT is when you should do your running. The fat will melt off.

LOL, too bad old NYT isn't here. He ranked a 9.7 on hot or not. LOL

LURKERS TAKE NOTE.

Lisa

• Marilyn
    Marilyn

I swim alternative days. I walk on the other days. I spend 35 - 40 minutes a day walking or swimming. I want to enter the World Masters swimming in October, Melbourne Australia, which is where I live. I've been exercising for 19 months, religiously and I AM SOOOOOOOOOO CONVERTED!!! I travel around a lot and the first thing I do is suss out where the pools are. I'm totally hooked and I FEEL GREAT!! I have more energy than I've had in years. I am very slim and best of all I feel great. There ought to be a law against feeling this good. I turn 50 this year btw. I swim better than a lot of men and gals half my age!!!! :-) What was the question?? hehehe!

• c5
    c5

Here are some hints that I have found very helpful. Yes, they work!!!!

~~~Exercize on an empty stomach, preferable first thing in the morning.

Doing intense aerobic exercize on an empty stomach for just 20 minutes first thing in the morning is more effective in burning fat than a FULL HOUR of exercize performed later after a few meals! Why? During the night, your blood sugar is naturally low and so are carb reserves. Exercizing BEFORE you eat causes the body to go right to your stored fat in order to get the energy it needs to perform the workout.

~~~Avoid fad diets like Atkins and similar...they do more harm than good. A well balanced diet is the best, not one that limits one or more food groups.
    Do not overdo the carbs. (they are very necessary, so dont skip them at all!) Our bodies work thier best with a balance of protein and carbs. Protein is needed for building muscles and maintaining a strong immune system. Protein also helps stabilize insulin levels.

~~~It is much better to eat 6 little meals instead of eating 2 or 3 big meals a day. Our ancestors actually were more "frequent feeders", not bingers like what we see today with the 3 square meals a day custom.
    A portion size of a little meal is considered about the size of your fist.
    When you eat every few hours, you will have more energy and have less cravings. Best of all, you will be maintaining a state that supports fat loss and muscle gain.

~~~Working out TOO much can actually work against you. It is hard on the body and drains the mind. Short, intense periods of exercise make impressive physical results. More is not necesarily better.

Hope these hints help!!!
    Cari

If I fail or if I suceed, at least I'll live as I believe.~~W.Houston

• termite 35
    termite 35

Leander; you WILL put on weight when you train... muscle weighs more than fat... but that's a good thind, as muscle USES fat TO 'STAY MUSCLE'-SO YOU GET LEANER EVEN AS YOU SLEEP! don't stop now!!!
    LDH- i've never had a penis!

• LDH
    LDH

LOL!

Make that, "she".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit