What will the world be like in 2100?

by slimboyfat 36 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Um I would at least wait until we struck ice and I never got a place on a lifeboat.

• jgnat
    jgnat

At 2100 world population would have passed it's peak and started a decline.

Save a couple holdouts, there won't be any "third world". Prosperity will have grown world-wide, but it won't look anything near like the rank consumerism we see now.

The majority of the world will get around by bicycle, and there will be universal health care.

Infant mortality will have plummeted, fertility plummeted, and our lifespans extended and healthier. One child families will be the norm, and our children will be cosseted.

Education won't look anything like it does today. No more classrooms.

Somehow, we will switch from a "consumer" society to a "conservator" society. Instead of mass production we have local one-off production. Products will be more expensive but they will be durable.

http://www.gapminder.org/

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah and in the 1950's they predicted jetpacks, flying cars, and colonies on Mars by the time we are living in.

In the 1800's they predicted an end to war, crime, famine, etc. by the time we are living in.

How did those predictions turn out?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, yeah. For many routine medical procedures, they will be handled by gadgets, with or without a technician.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Maybe nanobots will do surgery without any cuts.

How much will longevity be increased that's a key question? Are we talking an extra couple of decades or hundreds of years?

Shame we won't be around to see it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Instead of nations, we will have city-states.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Fresh prince, if you are seriously thinking about it, YOU SHOULD CALL A CRISIS HOTLINE...

There's no real reason to be hopeless UNTIL it is absolutely and utterly hopeless, and the world is not even NEAR that stage, if it ever has been.

As a group, we've survived some pretty horrible things... and I still believe we can make it through... I wholeheartedly agree with slimboyfat, maybe being born just a couple of decades later makes a huge difference. Heck, now, being born a couple of YEARS later makes a difference.

Facebook, for example, will be just 10 years old on October 28th. Unbelievable, something so ubiquitous NOW, did not exist 10 years ago!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Well, if it is centuries instead of decades, that would explain the decline in population which I think is inevitable. See, we reproduce like rabbits because of uncertainty and mortality. If mortality is extended indefinitely, raising children becomes a leisurely affair.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Humans will all have gills, like Kevin Costner in "Waterworld".

• designs
    designs

jgnat- I like your vision, my great great grandkids should enjoy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit