What will the world be like in 2100?

by slimboyfat 36 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Very interesting video from futurist James Burke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24331106

He believes scarcity will be a thing of the past because of nanofabricators (sounds like a replicator for Star Trek fans). Because the purpose of states is to deal with scarcity, there will no longer be any need for state government, and there will be no pollution so the earth will become one big park. Disease and illness will be a thing of the past too. Sound familiar?

I wish I was born a hundred years later! We often think we are lucky to be alive in our time, but maybe we missed out the best time of humanity by just a few dacades. Damn!

If society starts to develop in that direction I wonder how the Watchotwer Society will react. Might they at some point claim that paradise is arriving in an unexpected way?

I made an earlier thread along these lines. ;-)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/255532/1/The-true-meaning-of-Jehovah-and-the-overlapping-generation-REVEALED

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Have you been drinking?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I never drink. What you think it's improbable? I think it's only a matter of time: either humanity will detroy itself or it will end disease and scarcity in this century.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Sounds like Matthew 24 ;o)

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

either humanity will detroy itself

How do you find the will to go on living when this (seemingly very real) possibility hangs over our heads? I die a thousand times a day worrying about what the next 2-3 decades holds for us. I just see collapse, and more collapse.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Make hay while the sun shines.

... and maybe humanity will triumph rather than fail.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Got anything more than that? Really struggling here lately...feeling like, I don't wanna stick around to see how things play out.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Um, as things are, most humans are better off now than they have ever been before. So look on the bright side. I just wish I was around a hundred years from now when things might be even better.

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

There is a theory going around that this is why we have not been visited by someone from another planet because when civilizations reach the stage of technology we are at right now they end up destroying themselves. With all the problems mankind has right now its going to be a hard row to hoe. I hope it all turns out will. Totally ADD

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Totally ADD, same question for you then as I had for slim.

If you see the complete collapse and breakdown of civilization as a very real, even likely, possibility, then why not commit suey?

If all of the sudden, you were transported back to 1912 and you found yourself on the Titanic, and you KNEW what was going to happen and there was nothing you could do about it, what would you do? Wouldn't it make sense to just try to get ahold of a gun and make it as quick and easy as possible?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit