So are Republicans now openly terrorists?

by Simon 369 Replies latest social current

• bohm
    bohm

Shirley: im confused, i thought it was the job of government to implement popular bills? I suppose in a real democracy, its the job of a minority to ensure they get what they want?

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

bohm:

a real democracy

According to the Constitution the United States of America is a constitutional republic, not a democracy.

In a democracy, 51% make the rules for the other 49%.

bohm:

Shirley: im confused, i thought it was the job of government to implement popular bills?

Really? Next you are going to tell me Watchtower's disfellowshipping policy is "popular" and the majority of JWs must agree with it because it's the 'law'.

• bohm
    bohm

Shirley: okay, so this is a reasonable thing because usa is not a democracy?

Lol

cognitive dissonance...

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

bohm:

cognitive dissonance...

No, just observations. (interesting how a differing view is automatically marginalized to the "cognitive dissonance" column).

I have no political agendas. I study history, the law, etc. and base what I see on precedent and facts. The USA was founded, Constitutionally at least, as a republic, and the current political/social environment does not change that fact.

Time will tell if the ACA is a good idea or not. Frankly, I fail to see how a government that is $17 TRILLION dollars in the hole, and currently on the hook for an additional $217 TRILLION dollars in unfunded programs, and is now at the tipping point into insolvency, is in any position to subsidize healthcare.

The numbers don't lie, and I choose to look at things pragmatically.

• Simon
    Simon
    He is right. The point he's making is that, once people get "hooked" on government handouts it's almost impossible to take those handouts away, no matter how much sense it makes to do so. Politicians are hooked on "pork barrel" projects, another classic example of taking money/benefits as long as it's free to them while someone else pays the bill.

It's OK to give handouts to big-business, banks, farm-subsidies etc... though right?

I mean, what you really object to isn't the concept of 'handouts' which aren't really handouts - they are just smoothing the peaks and troughs and making things more open and transparent. No, what you and your ilk object to is simply who the money goes to.

The bottom line is people need affordable healthcare and shouldn't have to chose between treatment and being solvent and having a roof over their heads. Your system has been broken for years and has become just another money making industry. It is long overdue for an adjustment.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Simon: It's OK to give handouts to big-business, banks, farm-subsidies etc... though right?

Nope. And I didn't say it was. I see no earthly reason why Exxon/Mobil, one of the world's richest corporations, should be getting government subsidies to go look for oil while the typical American has the same income they did in 1970 while trying to live in 2013.

Simon: The bottom line is people need affordable healthcare and shouldn't have to chose between treatment and being solvent and having a roof over their heads. Your system has been broken for years and has become just another money making industry. It is long overdue for an adjustment.

I couldn't agree more. The problem is, the ACA was written by the insurance lobby. The proverbial fox has been told to guard the hen house while the hens are being told "don't worry about it".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Republicans are ridiculous, unless they live in a monarchy, then they are sensible.

• bohm
    bohm

Shirley: please help me out, is usa a democracy or not?

its really important to me, you see i live in a constitutional monarchy and i dont hope to realize i do not also live in a democracy...

• besty
    besty

I love to see people who clearly only ever meet people like themselves using the Internet to discover new ideas.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its just another attack by the Republicans to thwart Obama Care, hopefully intent in crippling as a result.

The Health Insurance industry in the US is strongly supported by the Congressional Republicans and they have sent

big money lobbyists to try in dismantle this government sponsored initiative.

The shutdown was spearheaded by tea party conservatives who backed a House bill tying continued government funding to a one-year delay of the Affordable Care Act and the repeal of a tax to pay for it. The Democratic-controlled Senate insisted on funding the government through November 15th without special conditions. Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid spoke just after midnight.

SEN . HARRY REID : Madam President, it is embarrassing that these people who are elected to represent the country are representing the tea party, the anarchists of the country, and a majority of the Republicans in the House are following every step of the way. This is an unnecessary blow to America, to the economy, middle class, everyone.

SPEAKER JOHN BOEHNER : The American people are worried about their job. They’re worried about their incomes rising, because they’re all under pressure. The economy is not growing. Why isn’t it growing? One of the issues that’s standing in the way is Obamacare, the fact that nobody knows what the rules are, employers scared to death to hire new employees, cutting the hours of many of their current employees, and—and for what reason? This law is not ready for prime time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit