I CAN'T TAK

by Caupon 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Sammy Jenkis
    Sammy Jenkis

Caupon, welcome. What can you do? Keep being as respectful as possible and at all costs try to avoid conversations regarding religion. She believes your lack of interest in baptism = automatic death by the man upstairs.

Now although you might want to make her understand how you feel remember that these conversations will quickly lead nowhere fast and you'll be blamed as the bad guy. Try to be nice, love her, and take the rest a day at a time.

I'd ask her why she acts differently towards you around the brothers, I mean can't Jehovah see her treat you with indifference at home?

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Welcome Caupon, I am sorry you are going through this. I too would suggest reading Steve Hasson's books so you know how to talk to your mother. It has to be so difficult when you are very young to go through this. It really shows you how controlling the Witnesses are because you can't just walk away without being shunned. We are here whenever you need someone to talk to.

• Comatose
    Comatose

Welcome! So glad you realized this before baptism. Congrats man! You are so lucky to have thought for yourself and came to these conclusions at a young age. Study hard on school work. Try to get a scholarship if you can.

ENJOY YOUR LIFE. :)

I hope you post some more on here and get to know us more.

• Caupon
    Caupon

I appreaciate all your advice and thank everyone for being so kind and understanding. The Steven Hassan book seems very interesting and informational. Will be looking to see how I can get that book with my mater on my throat. I agree with Sammy Jenkins and Watchtower-Free about not trying to talk to her about how the church she adores and believes as truth is very deceiving and manipulative. Another reason I comply is because I already tried to tell her that I just don't feel it is the right religion when she furiously asked me why I'm omit to WatchTower baptism. She kept saying how 'God's Organization is the one true religion'. I realize how unreasonable she's been and I'll try my best to not make any snud comments of Witnesses towards her. But seriously, she acts like I killed someone. It makes me kind of sad that I cannot start any conversation with my mother, the being that made me. Everytime I approach her, she looks at me awkward and a little terrified and then utters a fast response stating yes or no. This is how a conversation goes now when I ask her just about anything, she says, "No", then raises her voice with anger, "Why are you even asking me this?!". It's gotten so out of hand that she makes me ride the bus 6 miles to school now. Then, at the meetings, she makes it seem like everything is fine with her fake smile. I'm seriously thinking about just going on ahead and getting baptized despite knowing that the sect is almost completely corrupt...

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, please hold off baptism. It is so final. Hassan's book will help. When a Witness repeats a phrase over and over, it is the cult personality feeling threatened. It can be quite frightening, as you have witnessed. The trick is to keep the cultist calm and unthreatened, while doing all you can to bring out your mother's natural personality.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Caupon, I too, am terribly sorry your mother is blinded by the thought control of the Watchtower. You sound like a person any mother would be proud to call her son. This is not you, it is her FEAR of loosing you-either at Armageddon or growing independentof her. Try to be civil and respectful while preparing to be on your own. You have friends here. Hugs.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome Caupon

Please do not get baptised , it will be a whole new ball game if you do , and not in your favour . How about saying something like you just want to wait a bit longer before you take that step , you just want some more time to be 100% sure its the right thing for you to do .In other words dangle the carrot in front of her that your thinking about it.Just play for more time.Maybe she will then back off a bit.Hey the WTB&TS has dangled the big "A" carrot in front of witnesses for over 130 years and they are still doing it.

smiddy

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

My Parents were pissed when I didn't get baptized forty years ago. They get over it. Being an unbaptized born in is a helluva lot better than being DA or DF. Never answer her questions unless she has asked you one you want. She is the one who is preaching that she has the way to your salvation, so make her answer your question and make her feel guilty for every tactic she ever uses to weasel her way out of answering your question. If you can make it only one very important question and insist on her, (not an Elder, it must be her) answering that question, honestly, you might be able to tame the beast. It worked for me. Ask a question that sends her off to find an official answer that has never been honestly addressed by the WT and never let her change the subject by any means. The more she wants to avoid that question, the more insistent you should be that it should be answered. She has to feel guilt for avoiding the question, trying to bully you, lying, using double standards, whatever tricks she uses. She has to know that you have higher standards than her. She has to know that you do not feel guilty for not being bullied into joining a church of her choice, especially if she won't honestly discuss it's doctrines/failings/whatever. I didn't say it would be easy.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Caupon: I'm seriously thinking about just going on ahead and getting baptized despite knowing that the sect is almost completely corrupt...

No! Don't do it!!!

There's never a good reason to do the wrong thing.

Caupon: It's gotten so out of hand that she makes me ride the bus 6 miles to school now. Then, at the meetings, she makes it seem like everything is fine with her fake smile.

Ask her why she acts one way at the KH hall and another way when the two of you are alone. Refuse to discuss any other subject unless and until she answers you. IMPORTANT: Remain calm and do not lose your temper!

• Fernando
    Fernando

Getting baptised has to be the very worst way of handling this situation and will backfire badly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit