IPCC Climate Change Report........

by cantleave 153 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Professor Judith Curry, The Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta

“Well, IPCC has thrown down the gauntlet – if the pause continues beyond 15 years (well it already has), they are toast.”

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I think what he says is worthwhile.

We know.

• Glander
    Glander

Ah, the lofty peak of snobbery.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Random ridicule of those who disagree
    Ah, the lofty peak of snobbery.

Tiresome.

• besty
    besty

@SBF

Judith Curry - the Daily Mail rent-a-kwote climate scientist of choice for right wing deniers

I'm still waiting to hear why you are better qualified than 97% of mainstream climate scientists to adopt a 3% minority position.

The logical conclusion is that you have a pre-existing outcome in mind for this debate.

• besty
    besty

@metatron

The curve of the presented graph seems to show an actual decline rather than a flatline pause.

Deniers have been playing this tired myth for a long time now. Take an arbitrary year that is very hot, wait for a 'relatively' cooler year, draw a flat line and screech that 'global warming has stopped'.

You have to explain why the laws of physics don't apply if you accept CO2 is a greenhouse gas. Or you could get into an arcane debate on climate sensitivity, which is where the professional deniers are at these days.

If you want to read more about the history and facts behind this particular myth see here http://www.skepticalscience.com/going-down-the-up-escalator-part-1.html

• besty
    besty

@glander

Charts and graphs by sponsered (salaried) climate change professionals do not impress me.

Good to know your position on research is based on your perception of bias.

Are you impressed by charts and graphs by climate science studies sponsored (paid for) by the fossil fuel industry?

• besty
    besty

@fig8ter

I mean, there's all kinds of research and dissenting opinions out there. All I'm saying is, keep an open mind....look at everything. Yes there are changing weather patterns, have been for millions of years......

Do you understand how climate and weather are different?

Can you explain why climate changes?

What is your basis for accepting a 3% minority position denying human-caused climate change?

Why are you better qualified than 97% of climate scientists and every major national and international association and academy of scientists to make that call?

Do you understand where the burden of proof lies in this debate?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Why stop the graph at 2008? If it showed up to 2013 then the flat line looks much more compelling.

The IPCC has been running long enough now to have a track record on which they can be judged. Environmental economist Ross McKitrick summarised the performance of the IPCC since 1990 this way:

1. Vaguely right about the Arctic

2. Wrong about the Antarctic

3. Wrong about the tropical troposphere

4. Wrong about the surphace temperature

5. Wrong about hurricanes

6. Wrong about sea levels

7. Wrong about the Hymalayan glaciers

8. Wrong about sensitivity

9. Clueless on clouds

10. Useless on regional trends

And on that basis they assert that they are 95% convinced they are right.

That's a worse track record than the Watchtower! At what point do we start to doubt the global warming alarmists?

• besty
    besty

@SBF

Interesting that you find an economist authoritative on anything - when did they ever get any predictions right?

Hardly the point though - every decade since the 1960's has been hotter than the last, and the recent pause in surface temperature rise (one measure of global warming - you know the globe includes the oceans and the atmosphere?) is thought to be caused by deep opean absorption of heat.

Nobody I read claims all the answers on matters of science, of course it is far easier to sit on the sidelines crying "wrong, wrong" every time science progresses. Thats how it works.

You cannot deny the laws of physics. There is more energy going into the system than there is coming out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit