IPCC Climate Change Report........

by cantleave 153 Replies latest social current

• cantleave
    cantleave

.....states that there is 95% certainty climate change is man made. People are still saying we don't need to do anything about it.

If you were told there is a 95% risk of you dying if you don't change your diet, wouldn't you change your diet?

• designs
    designs

There are probably 5% who still think smoking is ok, maybe even healthly.

• DJS
    DJS

Cantleave,

I referred to this study in one of my posts yesterday. I concur.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Some people won't be convinced until their property in Arizona is under water, because you have airbags like Rush Limbaugh telling them that climate change is just a big liberal anti business hoax. I listened to his show one time, he was going on about how where he lived the winter was colder that year- thus proving global warming cannot be happening. You can't convince people that choose to be that stupid.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Just waiting for America to come online and the inevitable flame war...

;-)

• JeffT
    JeffT

OK, I will be the one to post a graph. Note the flat line at the end. Did the IPCC report address this?

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes Jeff it did. The over trend is up despite the recent flat-line, which has occurred after a significant el-nino year and 15 years is a relatively short time time in the scheme of things.

Radiative forcing has increased by 43% since 2005, it is likely the the oceans are acting as a heat sink for this additional trapped heat energy and although we are apparently seeing only moderate rises in ocean temperatures the increase in sea levels is significant, 1.7mm a year between 1901 and 2010, 2.0mm a year between 1971 and 2010 and 3.2mm a year between 1993 and 2010, . Since water, like almost everything else, expands as it gets hotter, the rising temperature causes sea levels to rise. ...

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

"Surface temperature warming is not the only signature of climate change," says Brian Hoskins, director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at Imperial College London. "We're confronted with an interplay between different parts of a larger system which is clearly changing. It speaks well for the IPCC that it has tackled without fear the complexities involved in fulfilling its task."

• metatron
    metatron

The curve of the presented graph seems to show an actual decline rather than a flatline pause. I understand the 'warming seas' (while air temps remain more or less stable) lacks objective proof of temps across depth.

The "95%" figure of certainty does not sound credible except as a judgement call by workers in the field. That doesn't mean it isn't credible but I have trouble with such statements unless there is a caveat about them.

"Doing nothing" about climate change is just false. A great deal is being done in a positive way - and outside of that, the global economic slide towards collapse will have a great effect on fossil fuel use - although I never hear that brought up.

metatron

• Glander
    Glander

...says Brian Hoskins, director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at Imperial College London.

LOL, that say's it all.

Gotta loove 'em experts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit