Red light camera ticket

by sspo 22 Replies latest social current

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

In CA, it's not the fine (I would guess the actual fine was $150), but the additional administrative and court fees...welcome to the new realty in The Golden State. The State is doing anything it can to get additional revenue to offset all of the reckless spending it has indulged in over the past decade or two. I am assuming the 8 hour class was requested by you to avoid getting points on your license.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Here in the UK we have the usual GATSO speeding cameras, used to be £60 plus 3 points on your licence but that has recently been increased to £100.

We also have cameras for people going through red lights at junctions, same fine and points; also Bus lanes.

However, we now have 'average speed cameras', notably on roads such as the Snake Pass in the Peak District. This road is a favourite with bikers and there have been lots of serious accidents over the years. The cameras are all over the place and will photograph each vehicle passing and then work out the average speed between any two cameras. This prevents people slowing down just for the camera and then speeding up again. Average over the limit and you're nailed!

George

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Here in South Florida, the Red Light Cameras are common, at least in the Ft Lauderdale area.

No points on your license, but you need to make a $150 "donation."

Rub a Dub

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Hefty, hefty fine. (((Hugs of fellow feeling, lol)))

Everybody makes California stops, and California right hand turns.

Cha - ching for the Police Dept.

A few years back, the person I was with had a lead foot. Driving through Washington, never had a problem.

Before we approached Portland, Oregon, the car next to us, waved to us, and was doing something. We were clueless. They then rolled down their window, and the guy waved his arm downward, like we were supposed to slow down? Who us???. He slowed down, we drove over the Columbia River and made it through Portland, and just past the City limits, we got nabbed for a $500.00 speeding ticket.

That hurt.

LoisLane ... Not clueless any longer.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I received a speeding ticket from one of those cameras. My stepson was driving me in my van up to the Cleveland Clinic, so I could stay with my husband who was having heart surgery. Anyway, the fine was $95 for doing 20 mph in a 15 mph speed limit. First of all, he was pulling out of a gas station parking lot, (the nose of the van was barely on the street), so he couldn't of been doing 20 mph. Second, it was a four-lane street with speed limit signs that were few and far between. Third, the notice said that there would be no points on my license, it wouldn't be reported to my insurance, and there would be no court date set or warrants issued . So I didn't pay it. It will be three years in a few months, and I haven't heard anything from them....just a money grubbing scam of Cleveland. I live in a very small town, and we don't have them here. Some surrounding municipalities tried them, but people bitched so much that they were taken down.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I'd be careful Jamiebowers...if you get stopped for a traffic violation and they run your name, it is very likely you will have a warrant in the system for FTA (failure to appear) for not paying the ticket or going to court/administrative hearing to fight it. If that is the case, you will have the embarrassing experience of ending up in handcuffs and going to be booked for the warrant. Depending on the court, some of these warrants are "no bail", and thus require you to appear before a magistrate. I would check with the courts and see what the status of that ticket is.

Lois...sorry you got caught in a speedtrap...that always sucks! In CA, you'd be surprised how little of the fine goes to the city that issued the citation...the lion's share ends up with the State.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I was cited for running a light at 4:00 a.m. in the morning. $50 fine in TN. A few months ago the small city that had installed the camera shut it off. Evidently there were several things that the city council looked at. One, after news spread around about where the cameras were, people stopped running that light, and they were not getting the revenue expected anymore. Second, it was by a mall, and the area businesses said that their receipts were down and blamed it on the camera's scaring potential customers from coming into the area. Evidently, when first installed the cameras are profitable, but then when people know what to look for the returns dimenish. So California raises the price to keep it profitable? $540 wow.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

I was cited for running a light at 4:00 a.m. in the morning. $50 fine in TN. A few months ago the small city that had installed the camera shut it off. Evidently there were several things that the city council looked at. One, after news spread around about where the cameras were, people stopped running that light, and they were not getting the revenue expected anymore. Second, it was by a mall, and the area businesses said that their receipts were down and blamed it on the camera's scaring potential customers from coming into the area. Evidently, when first installed the cameras are profitable, but then when people know what to look for the returns dimenish. So California raises the price to keep it profitable? $540 wow.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

There are a few ways of fighting it:

- You go to the traffic court and hope the cop that wrote the ticket doesn't show up or doesn't produce the evidence (you have a right to be confronted by your accuser, the video evidence alone doesn't mean anything). This may incur (in my state at least) an additional fee (triples the fine) if you cannot prove you are innocent.

- You can show from the video that the plate reading was inaccurate, impossible or inconclusive (if you had dirty plates, partial picture, occlusion by sunlight glare, lighting problems (picture/video too dark or too bright))

- You can prove that the orange light is too short according to state or local laws.

- You can prove that there was no red light - typically the video evidence shows both the light and the video stream of your car in separate places, if either is missing, the timestamp is off between the two you can argue that the evidence doesn't conclusively prove you actually drove through a red light.

• truthhurts13
    truthhurts13

Red lights are one of the easiest, if not THE EASIEST wins ever. You should really do your homework about this. You actually don't even have to pay it and they really can't do anything except threaten. Ive had a few of these here in California and believe me I've never paid a single one, and have ZERO points on my license.

There are even free templates online that can take care of these for you. The options are endless. You can default the prosecutor, or just send them some paperwork including affidavits demanding proof of an injured party. Remember, No injury=No case.

You will have to do some homework, but I promise you, the knowledge you will gain will be priceless.

I never have to go to court. I play their own game against them. And I win everytime

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit