Abiogenesis - moving on from the Urey Miller Experiment

by cantleave 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Is this the same as the phrase "left-handed" amino acids and "right-handed" ones, and the fact that only 20 left-handed ones are found in organic proteins?

I might have misread this last night.

There are 22 amino acids known to make proteins (proteinogenic AA's) of these 20 make up the "universal genetic code". These are primarily l enantiomers.

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks.

So 4 DNA letters read as triplets give us a total of 64 codons which code for 20 amino acids, which join in specific ways to make proteins.

Where do the other 2 amino acids come from?

• cantleave
    cantleave

S elenocysteine and P yrrolysine are incorporated into proteins by biosynthetic mechanisms.

Edit: No idea how - just looked it up ;-)

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks!

I have been swatting up on the reverse Krebs cycle. Keep having to go back and fill in missing bits of knowledge. Khan Academy is the business!

• cantleave
    cantleave
    I have been swatting up on the reverse Krebs cycle.

I am sorry to say like a lot of biochemistry I downloaded this stuff into my short term memory for the inevitable exam question and then promptly forgot it!

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

cantleave-thanks very much for addressing those points I made very interesting, and it's all coming back to me. I have never heard of chiral chomatography, sounds mind blowing.

I have used a TIMS (thermal ionisation mass spec) ICP-MS (inductively coupled plasm mass spec) to separate uranium isomers, and the general common chromatography instruments like HPLC ans GC (high pressure liquid chromatography) and (gas chromatography).

By the way, I saw you responded two days ago but my computer seems to be playing up and I am just reading your post now

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

Hey cofty,

Thanks for your concern. I wrote three big posts on this thread, so my day did get better. I love chemistry, its sets a fire in me, thankfully my kids both love science too, but my daughter is better at physics.

cantleave-I look forward to your next thread about part two of the experiment. I cannot read the papers, way over my head I am afraid

• cantleave
    cantleave

You have used much more advanced techniques than I ever have - FTIR was about as advanced as I ever got. 25 years ago when I was studying ICP-MS was the very cutting edge of analysis.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Double post!

• 70wksfyrs
    70wksfyrs

I am sorry to say like a lot of biochemistry I downloaded this stuff into my short term memory for the inevitable exam question and then promptly forgot it!

hahahaha!!!! lol!!!!

I was the same with physical chemistry, my teacher was a nutty professor. I just learnt shrodingers wave equation and regurgitated it in the exam. At least you remembered was a positron is (another thread). Phys chem was a headache for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit