Concerted attack on ex-JW websites

by RayPublisher 87 Replies latest members private

• Emery
    Emery

It's probably some young jdub hacker trying to prove his righteousness to Jehovah.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Just for the record visual CAPTCHA can be bypassed too. Tests conducted back in 2002 on big sites like YAHOO! the CAPTCHA's were busted 92% of the time.

True, however the software which was developed to "beat" the captchas, actually used the not-so-visual part of the captcha. A lot of captchas these days offer an audio version of the captcha. This software was "trained" to listen to the audio and decode the captcha in that manner. Audio captcha is a no-no.

Captchas still work very well. They can even be made simpler by asking users to solve a simple problem layed out on the screen such as adding numbers and enter a result, or asking the user to move a scrolling bar.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

My son is a sysadmin, and reading over this thread he has some input for anyone hosting an exJW site;

Make a static copy of your site now. Leave the static copy up and pull your CMS. If all the exJW sites are taken down, they win.

for OS X, SiteSucker from the Mac App Store or curl.

for Linux users: wget -p

for Windows: httrack

Drop the static copy into your webroot, and verify your robots.txt includes Allow:\

It would be nice if we had some log information to work with. I have not yet read through all the replies, but some reference urls or IPs would be neat.

Son of wannaexit

• AuntConnie
    AuntConnie

Hi Eric,

In Orange County we had brothers working for Rainbow Technology in the 1990s, another brother I met was part of the group with John Macaffee who became ungoldy rich. Some Witnesses behind the scenes are great with computers and code, I wonder what they would have done if they had not got their heads stuck with the Organzation. I have a question for you, I will PM you.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

All that's evident is that vulnerable sites were exploited. The identity and motivation of those responsible is just speculation. Why argue over competing speculations? Delaying updates to somthing like WordPress is asking for trouble. Backup, update, test. Revert or go offline if the update fails.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Agreed... totally blown out of proportion. Creating drama where there is none. Sloppy site maintenance that's all.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

We're talking about the religion made up of under-educated, badly dressed, window-washers and janitors who can't eat, think, or wipe their asses without the Governing Body writing an Awake! article telling them which way to wipe, correct?

"Hackers" lol.....my ass!!! Bwaaa-hahahahahahahahahahahaha......hahahahahahaha.......hahahahahaha. Ha.

- Wing Commander

• Gorbatchov
    Gorbatchov

The WTBTS has all the time and all the money and the expertise to do a hack attack. Of course they would not use their own IP adresses.

It's just like Grisham's The Firm. I'm for sure the WTBTS has it's own intelligence office. For the dirty jobs.

Gorby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit