Concerted attack on ex-JW websites

by RayPublisher 87 Replies latest members private

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

@ ABS - I didn't really think about "calling the cops" on someone who could be in Estonia for all I know... and most hackers know to use proxy servers so their activities can't be traced.

But yeah perhaps I will do that it can't hurt.

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Just an update on this attack on ex-JW and JW discussion websites:

I have several websites that I author and am of course webmaster for AAWA.co. I also assist Freeminds.org and others. I have a couple of new sites in progress, including a new version of WatchtowerDocuments and Watchtower Observer.

Over the weekend Barbara Anderson's new website was hit. Very professional job. The site is still there, and graphics, categories, archives, etc. are all there. But nothing links so the pages and posts are broken. This was done by someone with a very high degree of expertise.

This morning I was contacted by the webmaster of JWStruggle as he too was hit. I am working on that now. It appears that all ex-JW sites are under concerted attack at the moment. AAWA.co was hit with a major Brute Force (admin login) attack that has gone on for several hours. Ex-JW.com and WatchtowerWatch.com have been the targets of a denial of service attack. I just took down JWSurvey.org as a precaution (I am assistant webmaster there.)

If you have, or know someone who has an ex-JW discussion site, please have them be on the lookout and be sure they beef up their defenses. If they are under a denial of service attack they should do as I have done and take the site(s) down for a few hours.

The hit on WatchtowerDocuments.org (still under construction) and JWStruggle are among the worst I have seen in a long time. It is clear that someone with access to hundreds of proxy IPs and a lot of knowledge about Wordpress, Joomla, and other PHP/MySql based sites has us all in their sites.

We've obviously gotten under someone's skin and roused a sleeping monster.

JV

• sir82
    sir82
    We've obviously gotten under someone's skin and roused a sleeping monster.

Evidently the holy spirit learned to code over the weekend.

• flipper
    flipper

Somehow- this doesn't surprise me. Bastards. WT needs to have their cyber-balls cut off

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

With that much damage done..

Can`t you bring in..

Law Enforcement Agencies?!..

.......................  photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

• baltar447
    baltar447

Hmm, this with the AGM coming up in less than 2 weeks? Simon, you better make sure you're admin pwd is locked down pretty good!

• baltar447
    baltar447

I'm wondering why none of the boards have been hit...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

If you Call the FBI..

I might have to Get a Real Job!..

Don`t Do It!!..

...........................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Wordpress is notoriously vulnerable to exploits.. and most that use it really need to read up on developing more robust and security conscious attitude and policies. It makes no sense just blame the burglar when one has left one's own front door wide open...

The interweb can be a pretty tough environment in which to play. Securing Wordpress.. http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

• baltar447
    baltar447

I was actually thinking that since Simon coded this place himself(at least that's my understanding), it may be much more difficult to attack.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit