Concerted attack on ex-JW websites

by RayPublisher 87 Replies latest members private

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

Brinjen,

StopForumSpam is the backbone of all of my spam blocker software. Works so well sometimes that I've had people threaten me if I didn't let them in. The programs I use base their protection on SFS, but also tie into several other similar spam registries.

JV

• Simon
    Simon
    But you'd be surprised at how many spammers still got past them. I've heard that in Asia there are big factory type installations where human beings actually are paid to sit and enter Captcha codes so that spammy stuff can get through. There is only so much that we can do.

That's true, but it puts off all the bots and script-kiddies looking for low-hanging fruit and raises their costs enough to hopefully prevent you being a target and move on to the next guy's server.

I actually have a more robust membership system that I'll plug into this site at some point which combines better protection with an nicer user experience as well. Instead of just always showing CAPTCHA (which sometimes are a PITA to get right!) it only shows it after a certain number of failed attempts and each attempt responds more and more slowly so even with a possibly compromised CAPTCHA system the number of attempts that people can make are limited which is enough to thwart them (and helps identify attacks to auto-block or ignore IPs). They think they are making attemps but each is just getting a fake response.

Of course, it also lets people avoid local username / passwords altogether and use Googel or Facebook for authentication, effectively outsourcing account protection and the fight against bots to 'the big buys' who have more resources to handle them.

Another option (more for banks / techy sites) is to use 2-factor authentication where "something you know" (your password) isn't enough ... to sign in you also need "something you have" which is usually a fob or phone app to generate a pass code. This provides a unique time-sensitive rolling number which makes things pretty damn secure - even if someone knows your password they cannot login as you !

• Simon
    Simon

StopForumSpam is great and prevents people registering accounts (there's also one to block disposable email addresses which is good too).

What we're talking about here though is people trying to sign in to someone elses account by brute-force attack - what they do is typically try known or common usernames and a list of common passwords OR simply have something generating every combination of password. This is why you're recommended not to pick a normal dictionary work but a made-up gibberish word (acronym of a phrase is good). Also, adding numbers and symbols greatly increases the number of combinations that need to be checked.

This explains it well:

http://xkcd.com/936/

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Prove it and you get much publicity. What an absurd way to deal with ideas and freedoms.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

what is the nature of the redirect? Is it to a dodgy search engine or to products? i.e. If it was to jw.org then I would say it was a targeted attack.

Is the mechanism or tools used similar on all servers? Have you googled the redirect to see if it is affecting others with the same software?

Pm me if you find clues that it originated in the uk.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Again Wordpress s the common deniminator here.. JWSurvey and JWStruggle are the sites that were down.

It's not a concidence that both sites are using an outdated version of Wordpress.

I have checked the security on a dozen popular ex-witness and even anti-witness sites... all fine. AAWA also uses Worpress but it's the only one of the 3 that has the lastest verison.

There lies the clue.

There have been a recent wave of brute force attacks (hacking technique) on WordPress sites over the recently (although this happens every day all over the world). WordPress sites in particular have been targeted in a recent string of intrusion attempts .

Typing "wordpress sites getting hacked" into Google produces over 28 milllion results..

Moral? Get a real website...

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I don't know much about making websites and that but is it possible to put up shadow websites or backup ones, you know like put up more than the jerkwads can attack? Also contacting cyber crimes division or whatever. Can't let jws win this as it sets a bad precedent and will give them gloating rights.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care
    I have checked the security on a dozen popular ex-witness and even anti-witness sites... all fine. AAWA also uses Worpress but it's the only one of the 3 that has the lastest verison.

It seems that we are all looking for the WT boogyman here, when in reality it's probably a sequential attack of registered Wordpress sites.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

RayPublisher - @ ABS - I didn't really think about "calling the cops" on someone who could be in Estonia for all I know... and most hackers know to use proxy servers so their activities can't be traced.

But yeah perhaps I will do that it can't hurt.

Hi RayPublisher, By getting law enforcement involved now you may be able to cooperate with them and install software to track future attempts. I doubt this hacker(s) will be happy to do it just once.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Just for the record visual CAPTCHA can be bypassed too. Tests conducted back in 2002 on big sites like YAHOO! the CAPTCHA's were busted 92% of the time.

Where there's a will.. http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2008/aug/28/internet.captcha Captcha cracked: Security fears after online word test is proved vulnerable to hacking http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1390796/Captcha-cracked-Security-fears-online-word-test-proved-vulnerable-hacking.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit