Concerted attack on ex-JW websites

by RayPublisher 87 Replies latest members private

• cedars
    cedars

Simon

Many will read some of the claims made in this topic and believe them to be true, maybe even repeat them elsewhere.

Which it's why it's important that if an idea is put forward as supposition, then it is clearly stated as such. Admittedly I didn't do this too clearly in my earliest posts, but at least by the time you challenged me it was abundantly clear that this was a case of a "hunch" on my part, and nothing more. The record can therefore speak for itself.

If someone shows me evidence of non-JW WordPress sites being deluged with spam at the same time as those sites mentioned, then I shall recant instantly. Until then, as a grown man, I think I'm entitled to a hunch. And if discussion forums require hard evidence for every point made, then I am under a false impression.

As to the potential for lies and untrue claims spreading, I am learning quickly to resist my impulse to typex everything published on Ex-JW websites that I don't agree with, regardless of whether or how it will influence others.

Only yesterday some well-known Ex-JW activist, who I greatly respect, was suggesting that mind control among JWs is over-rated, and those who shun their former-believing relatives are at fault for the anguish caused because they have the "choice" to leave whenever they want. I couldn't disagree more strongly with this silly notion, which treads all over the hard work done by the likes of Steven Hassan. But if people want to agree with him and go spouting this nonsense to others, then what am I to do?

When we give hunches we must state these as hunches, and when we state previously unknown facts we must be prepared to give evidence. If people choose to read more into what we say and twist it into something else, unfortunately there is little you can do to stop them. It certainly won't silence me from saying what I think.

Cedars

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

LOL @ Gromit !!!

" Maybe they were going to attack JW.org but saw an angel standing behind it....."

Any rouge JW can hack any site, the WTBTS has plausible deniability. We all know the special relationship that exists between the leaders and the r&f members. Still, I cannot imagine that they could be so dumb as to actually hack it officially. If you have really been hacked, then call the FEDS. If the hacker made any mistakes then they will trace him back to the WTBTS. What could it hurt? The WTBTS is not above Caesar's Law.

• Simon
    Simon

Cedars: First, you always assume that everything is targetted at you. It isn't.

If someone shows me evidence of non-JW WordPress sites being deluged with spam at the same time as those sites mentioned, then I shall recant instantly. Until then, as a grown man, I think I'm entitled to a hunch. And if discussion forums require hard evidence for every point made, then I am under a false impression.

The patch release was for the vulnerability being exploited.

I'm pretty confident that other sites are using Wordpress too, not just exJW ones.

Only yesterday some well-known Ex-JW activist, who I greatly respect, was suggesting that mind control among JWs is over-rated, and those who shun their former-believing relatives are at fault for the anguish caused because they have the "choice" to leave whenever they want. I couldn't disagree more strongly with this silly notion, which treads all over the hard work done by the likes of Steven Hassan. But if people want to agree with him and go spouting this nonsense to others, then what am I to do?

The difference is that this is clearly an opinion and when dealing with many subjects, there will be different motivators. For some, this will be a totally true statement. There is simply not 'one truth' when it comes to people, behavior and motivation and it's a little naive to imagine there is.

When we give hunches we must state these as hunches, and when we state previously unknown facts we must be prepared to give evidence. If people choose to read more into what we say and twist it into something else, unfortunately there is little you can do to stop them. It certainly won't silence me from saying what I think.

No one is trying to silence you from saying what you think as you have now tried to suggest and hint at several times already.

What we want is for people to stop making wild claims that make us look like a bunch of paranoid and obsessive jerks because I am more than capable of doing that on my own thank you.

• cedars
    cedars

Simon

No one is trying to silence you from saying what you think as you have now tried to suggest and hint at several times already.

I wasn't saying I was being silenced, just that I won't be silenced. Don't take everything so personally!

What we want is for people to stop making wild claims that make us look like a bunch of paranoid and obsessive jerks

I wish we could do that, but I am yet to be convinced it's possible. I can but dream!

My strategy is to let the paranoid and obsessive jerks say one thing, and for me to say another. You can then, to coin a sickening phrase from our past, "let the reader use discernment."

Cedars

• Simon
    Simon

Now let's all stand and sing song number 186 ... "send your emails unto Jehovah" and then Bother Weirdigan will say the closing prayer.

It had been a long day on Blue-Ridge Mountain. Mary Beth had run off to become a pole dancer and John Boy was in prison because of the bar-fight he started ...

• mouthy
    mouthy

Oh The kids are acting up again. & I cant find my icon to kiss them & send them to their rooms

Guess that is one way to get rid of mouthy

• Simon
    Simon

uh-oh ... quick everyone, run to our rooms and hide !

• cedars
    cedars

What kind of kiss are we talking about?

Cedars

• mouthy
    mouthy

Cheeky !!!!!!! Got the Smiley face back thanks

• mouthy
    mouthy

Ceders..Are you being rude???? I didnt have the smiley face ^ this one on my replies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit