The long road of the VW Bus coming to an end

by designs 23 Replies latest social current

• designs
    designs

I didn't even realize the VW Bus was still in production but VW in Brazil still produces the iconic Bus, production will end in December.

Many of us had VW buses, surf wagons et al, I had a 1959 'Camper' special we would take on surfing trips to Baja California and camp on the beaches down by San Quentin.

I took my 'Magic Bus Ride' with four JW buddies just before my arrest over the Vietnam Draft. We rode up the California coast to Big Sur. With the side door open and feet hanging out we traveled the coastal route from Los Angeles through Santa Barbara, Pismo Beach, San Simeon, Big Sur and Monterey ending in San Francisco where I hopped a flight back to Los Angeles for my arraignment.

enjoy-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZpxGg7gX4A

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

This is sad Designs...I remember a lot of good times cruising the coast in a VW micro bus. They were ugly, slow, but utterly iconic!

• Dagney
    Dagney

It warmed my heart a few months ago to see a whole line of air-cooled buses and bugs lined up along PCH by Zuma. Overlapping surfing generations still using the iconic vehicles.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    I remember a lot of good times cruising the coast in a VW micro bus.

tenyears ...

And you can still get a high by rolling up the windows, smacking the seat cushions, leaning back and taking very deep breaths.

Rub a Dub

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

66 Bus with a 1969 engine, drove to the Grand Canyon and through Nevada/Utah. Also up the coast and on Pismo beach at sunset, amazing. Loved that old machine. A camper that I put back together. Darn thing was a death trap though. Glad I survived it.

• Glander
    Glander

flimsy, underpowered little death traps with quirky motors that ate belts.

Watch for passing trucks, crosswinds, uphill climbs.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

LOL Rub a Dub...isn't that the truth!! Most VW buses have seen more weed than a Grateful Dead concert!

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thankfully, in my work, there are still devotees. Dwindling business but people love them.

• designs
    designs

There was nothing like going up the Grape Vine in 2nd gear with everyone passing you and waving (middle finger)

The trips to Baja were fun. From the main Hwy you would turn off and travel on a dry river bed for a couple of miles and it would dump you out on a 5 mile long deserted beach with a nice break all to ourselves. The river bed did burn out a few clutches.

• Glander
    Glander

With it's small low horsepower coupled with a low geared manual transmission, it would have made a very good small tractor for farming. Without the bedroom on wheels/mini-bus appeal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit