Do you make your own soup?

by compound complex 53 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, soup lovers:

I have a huge kitchen at my disposal (not my own); vegetables, cans of this and that and spices are scattered about, prepared to go into a cauldron of minestrone I started a few days ago. I'm preparing ahead so as to freeze the leftovers to heat up later at home over my hotplate.

Nothing like a 6-burner gas range to simmer over!

What's cookin', good lookin'?!?!?!?

CoCo della cucina moderna

• Scully
    Scully

I try to make soup at least once a week. Last week it was Scotch Broth (no scotch involved in case you're wondering) with homemade lamb stock, carrots, onions, celery, barley and potatoes. The week before I made Beef and Barley soup with some oxtails that were an unexpected delivery at the supermarket.

This week I'm making a starch free version of leek and potato soup, substituting cauliflower for the potatoes. I've done this before and nobody can tell the difference.

My favorite one was a curried butternut squash soup, and I'm due to make that again soon. Although mushrooms are on sale at the supermarket this week, so I may make a cream of mushroom soup first.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I make a Burmese lentil soup I had over in Myanmar (Burma) and it is scrummyumptious.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Now, I'm hungry

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

Of course! Yesterday I made a fresh pea soup with basil. One of my top favorites is a Mexican chicken soup with Poblano chiles and such.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Scully and Julia! (and Quarterback and Ber)

No Scotch was harmed in the making of this soup . . . I remember oxtails and soupbones that Mom got for free or, at least, for a very low price. No more.

Love lentils. I didn't realize they were available in supermarkets overseas.

All our mouth's are watering! Pea soup! Always a fave!

Mille grazie!

CoCo

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Co Co, How big is your freezer space at home? Is it limited?

How much soup are you wanting to freeze?

Are you thinking about making one basic recipe to freeze to save space, then adding bits of fresh things to change the flavors up a bit?

Or are you wanting to make and have a variety of soups, now, to freeze, to just heat up.

LoisLane

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

I made chili today, not quite soup. I plan to make a minestrone this week though.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Lois and crmsici:

Just a standard above-the-fridge compartment. Minestrone's my fave!

When I'm on a job and have use of the kitchen, it's a good opportunity to cook ahead. My own studio kitchen is small and has no built-ins, nor is there running water. As a result, prep is difficult. Having an all-singing-all-dancing kitchen (on the job) allows me multiple range burners as well as a vegetable sink, too, and LOTS of counter space to spread out over.

THANKS!

CoCo

• Perry
    Perry

Soups are awesome...HUGE on flavor without feeling like you just ate concrete.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit