Do you make your own soup?

by compound complex 53 Replies latest jw friends

• clarity
    clarity

Hi CoCo ......."how's about cookin sumpin up with meeeee"

haha ..... well my soups are usually a big disappointment .... but

the Chilli is another story ...usually edible anyway!

>

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

Ps......."nor is there running water" ?????

>

Not saying that I haven't had a house without water but

why do you not have running water? If you don't mind me asking

clarity

• Listener
    Listener

If you are going to freeze it then try to use the least amount of water when cooking it, without letting it burn of course. It will be more of a condensed soup and will take up less space in your freezer. Then you can add water to the bottom of your pot and bring to boiling point then add your frozen soup.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Made clam chowder today. New england not the red stuff.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings and thanks, Perry, clarity, wasa and listener.

I prefer New England to Manhattan chowder, too.

No -- not the weight of concrete in your gut!

Good suggestions about reducing water content!

Just rent a few rooms with bath (running water!) Makeshift cucina.

Gratefully,

CC

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Mr Bee is a chicken noodle soup man married to a 'homemade-soup, no-cans-thank-you girl.' But the one soup I will not be without is Chicken Tortilla.

I make this is quantity for freezing and the basic elements are - McCormick Taco Seasoning, and substantial garnishes.

Make a basic veg soup - chicken broth, celery, onions, carrots, zucchinis, green beans, corn, tomatoes, blah blah. Fresh chicken if you wish, but a can or two of quality chicken breast is fine. Now, beans of any kind - pinto, black, kidney - any and all. Then, chiles - fresh, Anaheim, jalapeno, whatever. Now, a generous portion of McCormick Taco Seasoning - a must. Surprisingly, it is not very salty, so you can use a lot and get your saltiness from the chicken broth.

This can all be frozen in portions at this point. When serving, I garnish with some or all of the following: fresh diced avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla strips (I oil and sliver tortillas, salt and then toast), sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and maybe sour cream.

Tonight we got home from a 5-day golf trip (long drive) just around dinner-time. So I thawed a tub of this soup, added a few of the garnishes, and we were good to go in just a few minutes with a meal that we both love.

• tec
    tec

Hi CoCo.

I have a lazy soup that I make. "Lazy" because I was making a pot roast a couple of years ago, got lazy, and never finished it. But the process made GREAT soup.

I brown a roast in a big pot on the stove, then add a can of tomatoes (herb and spice tomatoes if you can get those). Then I add enough water to cover the roast with about 3 packs of beef bouillon (beef oxo packets) dissolved in the hot water. Then I let that simmer for about 4 hours, adding more water (and possibly beef oxo if needed for flavor). Some worcestershire and minced garlic are a nice addition as well, to taste. The meat is SOO tender. Then I add chopped potatos (not too small or they get mushy too fast); carrots, brocolli and cauliflower (but you can add whatever veggies you like), cook those on med/high for about twenty minutes (until they are cooked, but not soft). Then I take the roast out, cut it into bite size pieces, throw it all back in, and it is ready to go.

Very tasty... and so easy.

Peace,

tammy

• clarity
    clarity

"Just rent a few rooms with bath"

>

>

Ahh CoCo ...... Ive had that situation too ....very simple.

>

>

No aromas from cooking,

only the scent of apples, oranges & jellybeans.

>

Just thinking about it the other day ...& remembering the

smell of the Sweet Heart Soap that I used then ...so long ago,

the bars were pink of course ...when I was just a young thing

clarity

• myelaine
    myelaine

yes!

I make the best cream of mushroom soup e-v-e-r

just sayin'

love michelle

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I always wonder why restaurant soup is so awful, when it's so easy to make good soup. I think they use soup base and lots of packaged stuff.

I was taught to make lettuce soup by a French woman long ago, it is one of my favorites. I love split pea soup, and I love posole. And it's always good to just heat up some good chicken broth and add whatever veggies you have on hand to make a good vegetable soup.

I have a recipe from an old cookbook for some tiny dumplings. They puff up like a dumpling, but taste like a good buttery noodle. I like to put those in a simple vegetable soup. Yummmm -- it's getting colder around here. Good time to start making soup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit