Posting personal information

by Simon 34 Replies latest forum announcements

• Prisca
    Prisca

Simon threatening to disclose a poster's computer use to the poster's employer has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. Simon has access to info (such as our IP which can thus trace our names etc) but he has NEVER used such info to discredit anyone on this board. When he said that threat to MavMan, it was simply to inform that troll that he wasn't as anonymous as he thought he was.

Personal information, even photos, have been used by some unethical individuals in an attempt to bully the persons they've identified.

And even though those bullies don't post here anymore, there is no guarantee that it won't happen again.

So, Simon is telling us that 1) be careful what info you give out, and to whom; 2) anyone that does post personal information about others on this board can expect to have their head chopped off and eaten for dinner. Any questions?

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

No. But I think you're wrong.

• Simon
    Simon

I think there is a world of difference between someone posting personal info on the forum designed to harm another person, possibly affecting their relationships with family or friends etc... and me reporting someone who is causing trouble to the people who own the equipment they are using to do it.

If you read my post TheWiz you will see that I threaten to report him to his employer for abusing this (and their) system IF THEY CONTINUE TO DO SO.

Yes, I have access to log files (IP addresses and Emails) but No, I don't "gather evidence" about people - if someone is being a nuisance then I may look into it but frankly I have better things to do. If I tried to look into everyone it would probably take up most of my time and make me very suspicious - I prefer to take people at their word unless I have specific cause to do otherwise.

Eman is right - once you've been out for a while you don't fear them at all and being forward with who you are is less of a concern but not everyone has this luxury and in the meantime they deserve to keep their confidentiality.

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

I guess so Simon. But I know of online sites, especially email, who will refuse information to Police for even people accused of serious crimes. It's a matter of privacy and credibility. And reporting him to his boss just smacks of pettiness. My opinion of course.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Yes, well, Naeb, you can say that to Simon---and disagree with Simon and me and Prisca--so much more easily because YOU

aren't paying the 150.00 a month or more for this site hosting; YOU aren't spending time away from work, wife, kids and life to POLICE it because of YoYoIdiot and wohomever else.

Simon is the injured party, and has the right to take whatever steps he thinks are necessary to protect HIS time, energy, financial resources, and to protect himself legally as well.

When we were Witnesses (sounds of harps and violins)we did things because we HAD to. Becasue we would have been df'd, or marked, or shunned, or had privilieges removed, etc. etc.

Well, now we can do things because we WANT to. Because we have a choice. Because we CAN. Because we can be part of the problem or part of the solution.

And as for posting information OFF the board, I think that same standard exists everywhere. It goes to intent I think. Other site administraters and webhosteers likely have similar standards.

Besides, Naeb my slave would never DARE do that to his MISTRESS...

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

YOu're missing the point. Simon can do whatever he wants to. But complaining about people posting names, and at the same time using information that he gets from the site to possibly fire a person is hypocritical. I don't care if you agree with me. And with that, I *poof*

• apostate man
    apostate man

SIDE NOTE, OFF THE TOPIC:

dung, I hope Simon is not paying $150.00 a month for this site. The sites I had up only cost me about $10.00/month.

Simon, if you are paying that much, let me know. I can turn you on to a good server/host for much cheaper. I'm not sure how much disk space you use though. I had my sites up last year(took them down after 911 'cause I wasn;t sure what the economy was going to do)and only paid about $12 for two sites/50 mb of space, 10 gb of usage/month(I think, it's been awhile), unlimited e-mail and ftp using a fiber hookup.

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

Well; you don't have to be here you know, if you don't like it.

<grabs Naeb's pants and runs>

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Shows what you know. I'm not wearing any pants.

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the offer apostate man but I'm currently using much more space / bandwidth than that ... I did shop around when we outgrew our previous host (the next step up there was a dedicated server) and the current host offers a pretty good mix of value / features / space / bandwidth / security (backups) for the money with some room for growth.

I get 2Gb disk space, 100Mb SQL Server, isolated processes and 40Gb transfer and the service has been excellent.

Bandwidth is usually the limiting thing (hence my work on a compression component) and while there are cheaper (and even 'free') ones I have found that you get what you pay for and the performance is too often abysmal ('cause everyone else is sucking up their 'free' bandwidth too ...)

If anyone does want to donate a huge server with oodles of bandwidth though I wouldn't turn it down, lol

Naeblis:

I think you are wrong as they are not like-for-like but even if they were, it comes down to motive - I am trying to protect the forum and the 'experience' people have when they are here and if someone wants to cause trouble then they should expect it in return (sod all that 'turn the other cheek' rubbish) but I don't think you could accuse me of being hasty re: YoYo could you?

The motive for someone exposing personal info of another poster is usually to cause them emotional harm which is what I and most reasonable people object to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit