This website finally helped me understand the claim of 100% failure rate

by ILoveTTATT 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

End of Mysteries: My point was that they have to have things be EXACTLY like they say... and NONE of the things they have predicted have occured EXACTLY as they said.

About Zionism, yes, Russell predicted that, but he predicted it for the early 1910's... If you examine WT literature from the period, they were saying that the Jews had been restored already... there is an article from 1922 claiming that the prophecy had been fulfilled. The Jews being gathered back and forming their own country did not happen until 1948...

So... whatever they predicted usually came with a lot of strings attached, and one of those things not being fulfilled makes EVERYTHING wrong...

ILTTATT

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The Watch Tower did predict that the Gentile Times would end in 1914 (well, or 1915), which they thought meant the end of the world. Then in the '40s, I believe it was, they changed Christ's return from 1874 to 1914. So they did predict something would happen in 1914, but not at the right time of year (fall, versus the start of WWI in the summer), and not the right thing.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Zionism was a large political movement. Many Jews and Christians believed in Zionism. Indeed, atheist secular Jews believed in it. I expect some variant of
    Zionism existed since the destruction of Jerusalem cira 70s C.E. The exile and return from Babylon/Egypt is mentionly frequently in the Bible. I believe many fundamentalist Christians want Israel to prosper b/c it is well known fact that Jesus needs a landing strip at the Temple site to take over.

It appears Russell was a man of his time. Well, I know Beatles and Dylan lyrics. In fact, I recall the Paul is Dead controversy. Give that fun/annoyance a slight turn and the assasination of John Lennon becomes prophecy. I was present at many antiwar rallies. Woodstock, Fillmore East. I am not a prophet but a rock fan with certain political views. Today it never ceases to amaze me how at some important legal or policy meeting, an analyis of Beatles lyrics starts.

There is something interesting about prophets. My problem was that I was told about charlatans galore. Every time a pyschic or weird appeared on local NY tv, which happened often, my parents told me to beware such wackos. Yet the Society's failures were never discussed as a family. My father was present at Bethel and knew some doozies that never made it to KH. An exception was carved out. Knowing they were false but pretending that I was a good Witness was such a strain. Thank YHWH for websites.

• ILoveTTATT
    ILoveTTATT

Simon commented on my post!! I am HONORED, Sir!

=)

ILTTATT

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

"You cannot predict 5 different things and then, when one of them gets partly fulfilled, drop the other 4.5 things, change the 1/2 thing you predicted that was right and make it seem like that was the only thing you predicted, and make the entire one point fit AFTER the fact."

ILove TTATT:

-you nailed it in a nutshell, like I have never seen before!

Bill.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not to pile on so much against the Watchtower (okay, maybe a little), but everything they expected for 1914 was based on it being 40 years past 1874- a pretty straight up literal taking on "one generation" after they thought Jesus took power in heaven. So even the stuff they later moved to 1914 was done way after the fact.

Watchtower keeps reinventing it's own history. It's getting harder and harder with so many watching them and the freeness of finding information.

• friendaroonie
    friendaroonie

This is a good time to plug the book "when prophesy fails" by leon festinger, one of the main books that helped me see TTATT.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

I believe at first 1914 was predicted to be the very end of Armageddon.. The very end of human rule on the earth, to be replaced by heavenly rule. This was held for some years after walrus sell died in 1916. Rutherford claimed that "the kingdom is now already 9 years old." (Paraphrasing)

This does not matter to Dubs, nor does doctrine. The GB could come it and say, "we made it all up! None of this is true, god is fake. Haha!" And there would still be an impressive number that stay, maybe even start a splinter group.

You Are right though, it is no exaggeration to say that the WT and all involved have a 100% success rate... Of failure

• Scully
    Scully

The only thing the WTS ever got right was when Rutherford said "Religion is a snare and a racket."

• steve2
    steve2

What spoils the 1914 claims is the close-up view. Like a former beauty queen who is knocking 80 and is botoxed up to the gills, the best view is from a distance. The closer you get, the worse the view. If you want to remain a "happy" Watchtower defender, keep your distance, be highly selective and have wads of cotton-wool on hand to stuff in your ears should you begin to hear anything that might bring you closer to a fuller account of what the Watchtower actually predicted about 1914.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit