How long since you have prayed?

by LostGeneration 36 Replies latest jw friends

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Its been probably five years for me.

I don't miss it a bit. I was a slacker when it came to prayer. Even as a born in JW, I never really got why in the hell God needed me to tell him how great and grand he was. I mean he is GOD, right? He already knows that he is the shizzle.

It also felt like a cop-out. Just pray and wait. And wait. And wait.

I got tired of waiting. The wasting of time, energy, and mental effort on a dude who just didn't seem to care about the rapes, murders, and molestations happening down here on earth.

Sometimes I wonder how many millions, (billions?) of hours are spent on earth each day by people talking to an invisible something in the sky.

What a waste.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Hey, post 2520!

I hate how stupid JW numbers grab my attention.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

I breath prayers many times a day. Sometimes i stop and pray out loud. I can do all things through christ who strengthens me.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I miss the catharsis of verbalizing my thoughts that it provided. I tend to meditate on subjects of importance to me and not ask for intercessions or forgivness. I like having my mind and thoughts freed up from the addiction to "having the strength to do all things by means of" a fairytale. I take full responsibility for my success and failure. Try it.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I totally agree with you, it was a complete waste in my view too. It's been almost two years for me and I don't miss it one bit, especially those mealtime prayers. Those were so annoying after a tiresome and stressful day. After 20 years of praying it gets rather difficult to keep it fresh! I mean really how many new and interesting things are there to pray about? It all just sounds so dumb too. It's been nice not having to stress about any of that anymore.

• stillin9
    stillin9

I am still very much "in" and an MS and I hardly ever pray. I try hard to get into the habit but I just can't. I really don't see the benefit of it, and I agree that a "god" doesn't really need to be told how great and how almighty he is. I have and still do pray in the congregation, and I don't like it one bit!

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

I have and still do pray in the congregation, and I don't like it one bit!

LOL...the last few months that I was in I would ditch meeting on the nights I was scheduled to pray. Knowing the BS of it all and still having to pray at meeting is torture. What's worse having to prepare an uber spiritual SM part with interviews, or praying?

• stillin9
    stillin9

@tootired

Ah yes, I wish I could miss the nights I will be called on to pray, but I know I will elders on my case right away. Whenever I have the last meeting part in the SM, I memorize some BS ahead of time to spew out. Hate to do it, but no choice.

• Badfish
  • yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Since I realised that if God isn't hearing the prayers of an African mother's anguished plea to God to save her starving baby, or never heard the prayer of any grief stricken Jewish women having their crying infants ripped out of their arms during the holocaust, or never heard the prayers of a Hutu woman watching her toddler about to be hacked to death, then it is morally repulsive for me to expect God to answer my prayers. And so there logically can be no God hearing any prayers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo&list=RD02yxYtA3VNf0Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit