What gives you away as a (former) JW?

by perfect1 46 Replies latest jw friends

• perfect1
    perfect1

These days my JW past stay safely under wraps from nearly everyone.

I dont dig it up- and I see no need to talk about it with anyone.

Sometimes I feel as if my past is a large and terrible secret, and I will be found out eventually. People can sense I am different. I never talk about my family.

I guess people chalk it up to being a private person or let me be a mystery.

However, there is one thing that I feel completely reveals me as having been raised a Jehovahs Witness:

I cannot wrap a gift.

I am very capable person but when faced with pretty wrapping paper and package to be wrapped I dont have a clue where to begin, and I generally end up wrinkling the whole thing.

What about you? What do you fear might give you away as a former Witness if you have moved on?

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I don't care if people know, in fact I feel its a duty to participate in cult prevention.

The world at large doesn't really think being a JW is all that weird. Only after I tell them about the shunning do they realize its a F'd up cult.

Better they learn that now rather than get sucked into it later and experience decades of pain and suffering.

(I too, suck at wrapping gifts - but I think it has to do with being a man, not a JW!)

• zound
    zound

A lack of long term friends.

Most people I know have friends that reach back to their childhood and school days. Even if they don't stay in touch they'll occassionally say something like "I bumped into an old mate the other day, hadn't seen each other for years - we had a beer and chatted about the good old days."

What could I say? "I bumped into a childhood friend the other day - he crossed the road to avoid talking to me."

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

People I tell are just like "really?" It's no different then telling them you used to be a Mormon. Some think its kind of neat. I will say I've guaranteed there are a few people who will never even talk to JW's now.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PERFECT:

I don't think there is anything about me that would be a dead give-away that I was once a JW. Even if somebody dressed "conservatively", that, in and of itself, means nothing because JWs don't have a monopoly on conservative dress.

I think once somebody deprograms themselves of the religion's nonsense and stops using certain idiotic terms (such as calling the religion "the truth", which it certainly ISN'T), and doesn't act like "bah humbug" at Christmas time, they are well on their way to not being perceived as a cult member.

• losingit
    losingit

I have ONE FRIEND. thats what gives me away.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I can't/don't remember birthdays. Unless someone makes a point of reminding me, I forget about them.

• zound
    zound

I have ONE FRIEND. thats what gives me away.

Lol, sad but funny. I'll be your friend - that's two.

• WishingLiz
    WishingLiz

Lol Hortensia, me too. I don't remember birthdays.

And even if I do buy chance remember them, I'm never sure what's the appropriate response is ... Just say H.B. or a card or what .....

• factfinder
    factfinder

I'm not familiar with the holidays like when memorial day is or labor day...they mean nothing to me.

I also have no childhood friends and only one friend who to me is the greatest guy ever!

I can't wrap presents correctly either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit