question on resurrection

by Skbj 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Skbj
    Skbj

A bit of background first: my mom's sister died 2 years ago. She wasn't a JW. She was far too smart to be one to be honest. A great woman who had a trying life and died after 2 transplants and years of illness. Although she wasn't a JW her and my mom were close. So her death has opened the proverbial can of worms in my mom's life because I think it's when she realised that blood relation truly matter more than religion.

A lot of positive things have come out from this sad event, some of these being my mom addressing some heavy emotional baggage with a psycho therapist. Some of her issues I knew of, others I was completely unaware of until a couple of weeks ago, but I know that this all thing started with my aunt's death.

My parents live about 5K miles away from me so we aren't seeing each other every other weekend more like every other year...and last year when I visited them she hinted how much she was missing her sister among other things. It was obvious to me that the hope of resurrection was not that much comforting to my mother even if she is a devout JW. She mentioned how, even though she misses her now, she is happy that she will see her sister in the new world and they will be reunited, and how she's thankful for the hope of resurrection because it helps her cope.

When my aunt was alive, she greatly disliked the JW. She was a havid reader of politics, philosphy and anything that was clever to read and said to me many times how she felt sorry that her sister (my mom) who was the only one of 3 siblings who had the opportunity to get a proper education, instead wasted her life on BS beliefs. She hated how the JW teachings came between my parents and I. My parents shunned me for 2-3 years and was thanks to my aunt who talked sense into my dad first and then my mom, that we got reunited.

In the 37 years that she lived through my mom & dad conversion to JW she had plenty opportunities to hear about "the truth". My mom tried all ways and angles to get her interested but she never ever was. So she knew about Jehovah, she knew about the WT, sometime she even read the publications, yet she refused to believe.

Now here's my question: aren't JW taught that those non-believers who will be resurrected in the New World would be a) people who didn't know about Jehovah etc. and b) people who Jehovah decided have a good heart?

If my aunty refused over and over to believe in the JW doctrines, to believe in god as Jehovah (she always had major issues as to why a loving god would allow so much trouble to happen inthe world) despite being so close to it for many years, would she not qualify for NOT being resurrected?

Where does that leave my mother, who is CONVINCED her sister will be resurrected?

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe she has to 'correct' JW view.

• cofty
    cofty
    She was far too smart to be one to be honest

What does that make us?

• Skbj
    Skbj
    I believe she has to 'correct' JW view.

I know right!? See I'm preparing my ammos for my next visit :) This will be one, although I am going to say it in a nice way. It is my mission to get my parents out or die trying.

What does that make us?

I don't know what does that make us, because it wasn't addressed to us. I said it to separate her from my mother who instead is more gullable for religious things, yet I've realised why she is gullable and fell for the JW and it is to do with issues she suffered growing up and which she is addressing now, so I think in the coming months I stand a good chance to help her "wake up" as she gets better. She's the tough one if she bends my dad will follow that's a no brainer :)

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I believe the official WT stance is that she will get a resurrection. Because she was never a dedicated baptized JW, there is still room for repentance.

However, she wil have to have a bible study in the new system and become a JW otherwise she will be directly executed by Jehovah during the millennial reign. This is the 'hope' your mother is clinging to.

• Skbj
    Skbj

@2+2=5

ahhh!! True now it's come back hmm I'm so rusty with all this stuff plus my attention at the time was superficial anyhow. I feel like I need a Bible study to learn debate everything. I'll have to find a different angle :(

Thank you

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

2+2=5 is correct about the millennial reign, but really, if someone rejected the message continuously, most Witnesses would not expect that person to be resurrected. Keep in mind that there's a difference between the Society saying that we have no way of knowing how Jehovah will read people's hearts (only explicitly ruling out a handful of people from potential resurrection, like Adam, Eve and Judas Iscariot), and how the average JW actually believes. Some JWs will be more liberal in their application of "grace" (my term, not theirs) towards deceased nonbelievers than others. Naturally your mother, knowing that her sister was a good person, expects that God will find her worth resurrecting. That's just how families are. But all in all, this is a gray area and no Witness is supposed to assume they know who God will decide to resurrect.

• carla
    carla

If us evil worldy people will get resurrected anyway, why bother with d2d? We will get another chance after the big A.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, she hasn't sinned against the GB/FDS which hath never forgiveness....and besides, she died before Armageddon.

But then again, there is an article or two which suggest if people don't attend to the door to door false gospel, it just may be to late.

So a definite "maybe" would be the WTS answer.

But I wouldn't worry because Jesus says different. He says all in their graves will come forth, some to a resurrection of life, some to a resurrection of judgment.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Jehovalarious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit