question on resurrection

by Skbj 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Skbj
    Skbj

Thanks for all your comments! :)

Definitely gave me something to think about. It's actually frustrating for me to have to put effort in all of this because I am not really believing in any of the chrstianity or bible or traditional deity form, and I have practically wiped out most stuff I learnt growing up, so thank you for explaining what would be a JW PoV.

@vanderhoven what you said got me thinking about something else I recently listened too but I think I'll post it in another thread so not to mix the two conversations. :)

• blondie
    blondie

Not too long ago the WTS taught that from 1914 to the start of the great tribulation, people were living in a judgment period and non-jws who died would not be resurrected. Now the WTS says that Jesus will not judge the sheep and the goats until after the great tribulation starts so that non-jws will descend into Sheol not Gehenna, so can be resurrected. But many jws did not see or understand that change...especially after have the old teaching pounded into their head for many years.

Most jws did not really personally think their non-jw spouses and other relatives would die without a hope of being resurrected....but the hard and core doctrine was different. It is not much different in the way they skirt around the issue that the WTS says that minor children will die if both parents are not jws...die eternally at Armageddon, as they now teach that those who died in the flood and at Sodom and Gomorrah, have no hope of a resurrection.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

So if a non-JW dies on the operating table ONE TENTH OF A SECOND before the big A hits...they will be resurrected in paradise. But the worldly doctor and nurses, obliterated for all time, bird food.

It never made any sense to me at all.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

It really doesn't matter what the JW's teach nor what your mother believes. Ultimately, it is in the hands of God (if you believe in one). I have always loved how the organization feels like it can speak for God (if there is one). Case in point, the FDS articles where they state that God (if he exists) will be happy to appoint them over all his belongings. Yeah, that's right, they know exactly what God (if you choose to call him that) will do.

I will go out on a limb....if there is a God, and God's judgment day comes, the Watchtower organization will NOT make it out unscathed!

Just a thought (or maybe a few)

SOP

• Skbj
    Skbj

@blondie

Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know that's something else they changed doctrine about, so I'll make notes. When did the change of thinking occurred?

@fresh prince of ohio

Good point!!!

@Separation of Powers

Well actually it does matter to me what the WTS teaches and what my mom believes in, because my aim is to get her out of the WTS, so the more things I find to show how the WTS is wrong and the more these doctrines related to her personally i.e. in this case like having a family member resurrected or not, it will have more impact than if I just debate on stuff that doesn't personally touch her.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Funny how some JWs trust their "loving and understanding" version of god will resurrect their non-JWs relatives and come up with all sorts of scenarios of why their version of god would treat them different (like, my relative once attended a memorial, my relative once sat through a meeting/assembly, my relative once read a magazine) but their opinion on the world scale non-JW population is so different - they along with their "loving and understanding"god cheer at the thought of billions of non-JWs being killed by their god in the cruelest ways possible and never be resurrected again ... lol ... I am not talking their ever changin doctrines here just the paradox of some JWs thinking ...

• Skbj
    Skbj

I feel the same as you Bella. Which is why I wanted to explore this, and find the best way to show my mom how she's measuring with two scales, just because now the pain is personal to her.

• mP
    mP

skbj:

Tell her to check mark 16:8 and ask her why the resurrection only appears in the long ending which is an addition.

• Bella15
    Bella15

It is a tough cookie SKBJ ... and her dilema it is universal ... she is just grieving right now and when this phase is over she may have a softer point of view, back to be an ever stronger JW with the hope that if she is good enough god will treat her sister differently, leave everything in Jah's hands, or seek elder's counsel because she was weak in her view of the wordly people ... god forbids she loves her "neighbor"! (I am actually commenting with a JW relative of mine in mind ... lol)

Within the Christian faith: The One who IS the resurrection - Christ Jesus, gave us the scale by which our "life" would be eternally preserved ... whether we believe in Him or not ...

Now when it comes to JWs, they do not have this kind o faith in JESUS, they regard him as "great teacher', just the son of their version of god, Michael, then they need the 8 guys in NEW YORK CITY, although with their lips they READ from the bible that HE IS THE RESURRECTION, they only READ this, they don't really grasp the magnitude of his words, HE IS the great I AM, HE IS everything including LIFE, RESURRECTION. They want to marvel and look for ways to make everythign so complicated and hard to obtain because they DON'T BELIEVE in the simplicity of the Gospel, that God so loved the world that he gave his only son for WHOMEVER believes in him shall not perish but have life eternal.

• Ding
    Ding

As Vanderhoven7 says, the WTS comes down firmly on both sides of this.

According to the WTS, if your aunt understood and decisively rejected "the truth", she won't be resurrected, but if Jehovah thinks she didn't understand completely or reject "the truth" completely and that she can be straightened out over 1000 years, He will resurrect her and give her a second chance.

By having it both ways, they can keep JWs afraid of slacking off while still giving them hope of seeing loved ones again IF they themselves continue to obey the slave. Clearly, your mother is totally buying into the WT line.

Bella15 is right about the real gospel message (as opposed to the Watchtower version).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit