Amen!

• Splash
    Splash

BroMac: Which one of us is Richard?!!

"I'm Richard, and so is my wife!"

Splash

• steve2
    steve2

But the Witnesses are such lovely people. Why are others always picking on them? I've known them for years and they've never treated me badly...such kind, considerate folks. If only others were half as decent, the world would be a far better place...oh, while I think of it, where'd I put my Valium? I was sure I kept it next to my flagon of sweet sherry....whichwas next to my girlie DVDs.

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I'm Brian, and so is my wife.

(Apologies to non-monty-python fans)

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

good interview - especially the second part about the BBC Panarama programme, the two witness rule and safety to the public. Listeners to that will think - yup - just what I thought - a bunch of wierd people who i don't want to join and now I don't even want to open the front door to them.

You can't beat a personal experience

I also liked how understated Richard's tone was - not sensational - matter of fact.

mmxiv

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

@Splash - sorry - I just noticed u beat me to it by some margin lol

• TTATT
    TTATT

Perfect! And those people starting a sentence with "I am not a JW" most certanly are. That is the most common sentence when someone is trying to defend the WT. You did great Richard! Thank you for putting your personal story out there. It takes a lof of courage to do that. Most people donĀ“t have the guts to do that!

• happy@last
    happy@last

It was a great interview, which got me really angry, why did I ever go along with that crap?!!! I had the same issues with my kids, having nightmare I was going to die at armageddon, I'm seriously thinking of writing a DA letter after listening to that, even though I have successfully faded away.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Ann - interesting. The majority of pro JW email I receive are people that are not baptized. Some have grown up around the religion but never made the commitment. Whilst I call them on their hypocrisy, I feel sorry for them, as they must suffer fear and guilt knowing they are unacceptable to their belief system.

• steve2
    steve2

Good point jwfacts. Perhaps those who never "joined" the organization but who kind of believe it think that if they speak up for the organization - usually anonymously - that it will mean they are somehow "better" than evil apostates and that Jehovah might spare them during Armageddon. It's not an implausible attitude given how simplistic many of the organization's own teachings also are. A kind of religiously fundamentalist wishful thinking. It also underscores the way Witnesses are often far,far more tolerant of "good-hearted" interested one's behaviours than if those same ones were now baptized. Dual standards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit